MLB: ****Official STL Cardinals 2021 Thread (ARENADO trade)****

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I still have a bad taste in my mouth in that they haven't resigned Wong or (especially) Molina. And, what about the outfield? But Aranado is a big move. I hope he is healthy.

Molina won't go anywhere, but I agree about Wong, he was an awesome defensive player.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Happy to do that if someone tells me how. Ha!

never mind - figured it out! Stayed up late last night reading analysis of the trade. Awesome get for Cards, and doesn't appear on the surface that they are giving up much to get him. Rockies look like they want to dump the salary.

Reactions: FallOf81 and Aclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Pumped to finally get Nolan, seems like he's been rumored to be coming to STL for about 3 years. Only negative is it may be a sign that Wong is gone. As of now lineup would probably look like:

2B Edman
SS Pauly D
1B Goldy
3B Arenado
LF Carlson
RF Fowler
C Yadi
CF Bader

Wish they could go back and throw some of the Carp money at Wong. Crazy how quick Matt fell off the cliff. Can't wait to get that 18.5 mil off the books.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Twins fan here but a big baseball guy. What in the hell is Colorado doing??? Is the owner just a massive doosh or what happened here?

Reactions: Neptune78

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Pumped to finally get Nolan, seems like he's been rumored to be coming to STL for about 3 years. Only negative is it may be a sign that Wong is gone. As of now lineup would probably look like:

2B Edman
SS Pauly D
1B Goldy
3B Arenado
LF Carlson
RF Fowler
C Yadi
CF Bader

Wish they could go back and throw some of the Carp money at Wong. Crazy how quick Matt fell off the cliff. Can't wait to get that 18.5 mil off the books.

Yes. It's been crazy how fast Matt C dropped off. He never seemed like the kind of hitter to have that happen since he was a high OB, AVG, and doubles guy. But man, something broke with him 3 years ago and he has never recovered.

My hope with Wong is that 1) he likes it enough in STL to maybe play for a little less than other teams are offering, and 2) he sees a real winning team now with Nolan on the roster. However, I won't blame him one bit if he takes a better deal somewhere else. I would be disappointed to not have him on the team, though.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006

2B Edman
SS Pauly D
1B Goldy
3B Arenado
LF Carlson
RF Fowler
C Yadi
CF Bader

honestly, I am not too upset about Wong. Great defense obviously, but offense was spotty and Cards need offense. Plug Edman into 2B, sit Carp on the bench, and hope Carlson has a great offensive sophomore year. Oh, and trade one of our surplus catchers for another platoon bat or maybe an outfield replacement for Fowler.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I still have a bad taste in my mouth in that they haven't resigned Wong or (especially) Molina. And, what about the outfield? But Aranado is a big move. I hope he is healthy.

While Wong's defense is elite, an infield of Goldy, Edman, Dejong, and Arenado should still be elite defensively.

Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
honestly, I am not too upset about Wong. Great defense obviously, but offense was spotty and Cards need offense. Plug Edman into 2B, sit Carp on the bench, and hope Carlson has a great offensive sophomore year. Oh, and trade one of our surplus catchers for another platoon bat or maybe an outfield replacement for Fowler.

Totally agree, if I'm choosing between the two, I probably take Wong but Edman is also a pretty solid glove and is more consistent offensively. Not at all upset about him at 2B.

• Agree

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Cards pull off a big move. They don’t usually do those unless they make a lot of sense (McGwire, Edmonds, Holliday, 2011 team swap). They are usually one sided in a good way when they go big.

My only remaining hope is that they can re-work Arenados deal to remove the 2021 opt out. I’d hate to see him leave after one year. That’s a long way in the future now, though.
Considering how many accommodations he had to make with the contract for the trade to happen in the first place, I don’t think that’s a huge problem.

The only minor issue I see is that Torres was the only real OF prospect remaining in the system—outside of Carlson—and he would have eventually slotted nicely in RF.

OTOH, the team now has three or four good 3B prospects to either slide to other positions, or use as eventual trade bait. Assuming Arenado stays, of course.

When I looked last night, his 2019 split stats said he hit .277 with 20 homers on the road. I’ll take .277 with 40 homers on the season, plus that gold glove defense.

It’s like getting Scott Rolen all over again!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
BTW, the players The Athletic mentioned as possibilities in exchange were LHP Austin Gomber, #9 prospect Jhon Torres, a rangy RF prospect with power and a big arm, and #23 Luken Baker, a hefty (6’4” 280) 1B prospect with a ton of potential power.

I’d really prefer not to find out Gorman or Liberatore were part of the package as well.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Twins fan here but a big baseball guy. What in the hell is Colorado doing??? Is the owner just a massive doosh or what happened here?
The Rockies' owners have had a reputation for years of being in the game for revenue it brings, not necessarily to win.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
BTW, the players The Athletic mentioned as possibilities in exchange were LHP Austin Gomber, #9 prospect Jhon Torres, a rangy RF prospect with power and a big arm, and #23 Luken Baker, a hefty (6’4” 280) 1B prospect with a ton of potential power.

I’d really prefer not to find out Gorman or Liberatore were part of the package as well.

So, Baker will be the next Voit?