MLB: ****Official STL Cardinals 2021 Thread (ARENADO trade)****

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don't know know all the details, but he has definitely alienated Arenado in recent years.
It started after Arenado signed the extension with Rockies, he was told or at least thought that they were going to be building around him, acquiring more players and push the Dodgers for the West title. Reality set in when Arenado realized that instead of competing and getting better, the Rockies were going the opposite way, regretting the signing and trying to find a way to get of it.
All last season Arenado feuded with the owner and GM, basically saying if the team is not willing to spend money, he will opt out after the 2021 season. The Rockies reached the point where they were willing to let him opt out, but were afraid that we would stay and they would be on the hook for the rest of 6 years at 199 million.
They are send 50 million to St. Louis to get out of the contract, even if Arenado would opt out after the season, the Cards will still be 15 ahead, 50 - 35 owned to Arenado this season.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Sounds like not only did Arenados get to keep the 2021 opt out but the Cards added a 2022 opt out to sweeten the deal. He will fall in love with St. Louis and the 45,000 fans in the stands every night and will not walk away from a guaranteed 199 million in the original deal.
He has 35 million reasons a year not to opt out

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Great trade for the Cards. NA is one of the top five players in the game and he'll love STL. Rockies fans have to be stunned.

Rockies fan who isn't the least bit stunned. It was a matter of time. Story needs to get paid and I'll take Story over Nolan. Last playoff appearance we had Arenado went 3-16. I know last season was only 60 games but his offense in those 60 was subpar.

• Friendly
Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Rockies fan who isn't the least bit stunned. It was a matter of time. Story needs to get paid and I'll take Story over Nolan. Last playoff appearance we had Arenado went 3-16. I know last season was only 60 games but his offense in those 60 was subpar.
I am okay if you feel that way.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaner04

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Why you salty?

Jk, you kick Covids ass yet?

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.

Four playoff games is a pretty small sample size.
Without one of the best 3B in the game, their playoff chances got dimmer. The Rockies did not get better in this trade.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Four playoff games is a pretty small sample size.
Without one of the best 3B in the game, their playoff chances got dimmer. The Rockies did not get better in this trade.

Of the major sports baseball is the one I care least about. And with the month I have had things get put in perspective. In the end sports are just entertainment.

We traded Tulo and then came along a rookie named Trevor Story.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Yes, lol. I didnt like him from the start.

Same. Hated the signing from day 1 and he did nothing to ever change my mind. Mo signed him as a leadoff hitting CF and we got a bottom half of the order, ****** corner OF. Paying him to try not to suck again for Joe and freeing up RF for Carlson was the right play.

It's a good week to be a Cardinal fan.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Agreed....for the Angels. I'm guessing that's what you're saying.

Seemed to be well liked by the team. But that contract was an albatross. He had a halfway decent first year, then fell off a cliff. Seemed like he was the glue that kept the Cubs team clicking, so I’ve always wondered if Mo signed him just to get him away from CHI.

Either way, not sad to see him go. He was sucking up time for the young guys. Now let’s hope they step up and take hold of the starting spots without having to share with a declining veteran.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy and CyCrazy

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Seemed to be well liked by the team. But that contract was an albatross. He had a halfway decent first year, then fell off a cliff. Seemed like he was the glue that kept the Cubs team clicking, so I’ve always wondered if Mo signed him just to get him away from CHI.

Either way, not sad to see him go. He was sucking up time for the young guys. Now let’s hope they step up and take hold of the starting spots without having to share with a declining veteran.

I've always wondered about that. He had a rep as a good clubhouse guy so getting him out of theirs' and into ours HAD to be at least part of the logic. Either way, it was an overpay for a guy that was never a fit, Actually, the money never bothered me as much as the length of the contract, and that was where the albatross part came in.

I'm excited about Carlson If he comes close to expectations, O'Neil can put it all together and stay healthy, and Bader gives you even decent offense to go with that glove, you've got a great OF. Even losing Wong, with the addition of Arenado to go with Goldy at the corners, we'll have the best defensive team we've put out there since at least the MV3 years, if not longer ago than that.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I liked Dext but he was never worth what we were paying him. You have to think the $$ from the Rockies helped out with this deal as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron