MLB: ****Official STL Cardinals 2021 Thread (ARENADO trade)****

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've always wondered about that. He had a rep as a good clubhouse guy so getting him out of theirs' and into ours HAD to be at least part of the logic. Either way, it was an overpay for a guy that was never a fit, Actually, the money never bothered me as much as the length of the contract, and that was where the albatross part came in.

I'm excited about Carlson If he comes close to expectations, O'Neil can put it all together and stay healthy, and Bader gives you even decent offense to go with that glove, you've got a great OF. Even losing Wong, with the addition of Arenado to go with Goldy at the corners, we'll have the best defensive team we've put out there since at least the MV3 years, if not longer ago than that.

Agreed. I hope O'Neill can pull it all together. He's reminds me a lot of Randal Grichuk. All the 5 tools are there, just never at the same time.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Read on the PD last night that we still owed Fowler 16.5 milllion for the year, 14.5 as salary, and 2 one million payments from his signing bonus. We are saving 1.75 million by trading him to the Angels.

I tend to think the Cards thought this was dead money either way, so they would save 1.75 million by trading him, thereby opening up a spot in right field allowing the team to give 400 to 500 at bats to O' Neil or whoever and see if they can actually play at this level. The Cards will have Carp. and Martinez coming off the books for next year, plus one of the over priced relievers, with Fowler gone it came to about 60 million freed up, now some of that will have to go to Arenado, but this will give them an opportune to see if O'Neil is our future, someone else in the system or do we need to go out in the FA market next year to find the guy.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Read on the PD last night that we still owed Fowler 16.5 milllion for the year, 14.5 as salary, and 2 one million payments from his signing bonus. We are saving 1.75 million by trading him to the Angels.

I tend to think the Cards thought this was dead money either way, so they would save 1.75 million by trading him, thereby opening up a spot in right field allowing the team to give 400 to 500 at bats to O' Neil or however and see if they can actually play at this level. The Cards will have Carp. and Martinez coming off the books for next year, plus one of the over priced relievers, with Fowler gone it came to about 60 million freed up, now some of that will have to go to Arenado, but this will give them an opportune to see if O'Neil is our future, someone else in the system or do we need to go out in the FA market next year to find the guy.

Totally agree, the moves they've made really set them up to be a major player in free agency/trades next offseason.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
We basically paid the Angels his full salary to take him lol

Had to. He was a sunk cost. Even if he has a bit of a bounce back year, which I suspect he might, it's money well spent. We need to give these young outfielders a chance on a regular basis so we know what we have. The thought of having Arozarena carrying TB to the World Series while Dex sat at home counting his cash makes me sick. Even Mercado would have looked pretty good in RF in '19 (less so last year.) Good riddance to dead weight.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I tend to think the Cards thought this was dead money either way, so they would save 1.75 million by trading him, thereby opening up a spot in right field allowing the team to give 400 to 500 at bats to O' Neil or however and see if they can actually play at this level. The Cards will have Carp. and Martinez coming off the books for next year, plus one of the over priced relievers, with Fowler gone it came to about 60 million freed up, now some of that will have to go to Arenado, but this will give them an opportune to see if O'Neil is our future, someone else in the system or do we need to go out in the FA market next year to find the guy.

Getting rid of him was worth the money hit right now.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Derrick Goold of the Post Dispatch reported that we told him more young OFs we’re gonna get his time and he didn’t like it so they agreed to part ways. He had a no trade clause so he obviously waived it to be reunited with Maddon in LA

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
I think all we have left to do is go out and get Odorizzi or Paxton and maybe a bench player who can play OF and IF

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Not sure if anyone watched, but how cool was it to see Arenado with the birds on the bat jersey yesterday! I also like how they are giving Gorman some run at 2nd base, since Arenado likely has 3rd locked up for quite a while.