Official Utah Utes Welcome Thread

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
The Pac12 hasn’t been very good lately and UU took advantage the last couple of years. The Pac12 was better this year and UU didn’t do nearly as well. They are also 0-5 in their last 5 bowl games. They are a good program but some of their fans greatly overestimate how good they really are. I think some of it is driven by their hate of BYU. Hell, they barely got passed Baylor who was very down this year.

• Agree
Reactions: MugNight and HFCS

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Whether they did or didn’t, now the Hok trolls on twitter are saying this is proof the Big 10 west is just superior on defense that it’s not bad offense

Except when they play ranked teams outside those West teams:
  • Michigan vs Iowa: 26-0
  • Michigan vs Minnesota: 52-0
  • Michigan vs Nebraska 45-7
  • Michigan vs Purdue 41-13
  • Penn State vs Iowa 31-0
  • Penn State vs Illinois 31-13
  • Penn State vs Purdue 35-31
  • Ohio State vs Wisconsin 24-10
  • Ohio State vs Minnesota 37-3
  • Ohio State vs Purdue 41-7
  • Duke vs NW 38-13
  • Colorado vs NU 36-14
Did any West team beat a ranked team all season? Think they went 0-12.** Iowa lost both of theirs and didn't even score. Iowa has the divisions last chance to get a win over a ranked team this season since Tennessee slipped into the poll at #25.

** Edit: I guess the West is actually 1-17 versus ranked teams if you count the Iowa games versus their own West. Not sure how I overlooked that epic 12-10 Gopher win over a ranked team. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Except when they play ranked teams outside those West teams:
  • Michigan vs Iowa: 26-0
  • Michigan vs Minnesota: 52-0
  • Michigan vs Nebraska 45-7
  • Michigan vs Purdue 41-13
  • Penn State vs Iowa 31-0
  • Penn State vs Illinois 31-13
  • Penn State vs Purdue 35-31
  • Ohio State vs Wisconsin 24-10
  • Ohio State vs Minnesota 37-3
  • Ohio State vs Purdue 41-7
  • Duke vs NW 38-13
  • Colorado vs NU 36-14
Did any West team beat a ranked team all season? Think they went 0-12. Iowa lost both of theirs and didn't even score. Iowa has the divisions last change to get a win over a ranked team this season since Tennessee slipped into the poll at #25.
It seems simple to us I guess

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The Pac12 hasn’t been very good lately and UU took advantage the last couple of years. The Pac12 was better this year and UU didn’t do nearly as well. They are also 0-5 in their last 5 bowl games. They are a good program but some of their fans greatly overestimate how good they really are. I think some of it is driven by their hate of BYU. Hell, they barely got passed Baylor who was very down this year.

Another new addition Arizona is significantly better than Utah right now and we had pretty much everybody crowning these jerks as the dominant team of the new conference.

They might both be in the mix or maybe neither is.

Reactions: chadly82

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Does anyone realize that Utah was quite possibly the most injury riddled team in America this year? They were playing 3rd and some 4th stringers in multiple positions on both sides of the ball majority of the season. Yet they still finished with a better record than us at 8-4. Plus the PAC 12 was much better at the top that the Big 12 was.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

That kind of thing happens to all sorts of teams though.

The 2020 ISU team barely beat 2-7 Baylor.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Does anyone realize that Utah was quite possibly the most injury riddled team in America this year? They were playing 3rd and some 4th stringers in multiple positions on both sides of the ball majority of the season. Yet they still finished with a better record than us at 8-4. Plus the PAC 12 was much better at the top that the Big 12 was.
Who cares if the PAC was better at the top. In fact neither ISU or Utah were beating the top 1-2 in the league anyway, so it’s a lot easier to rack up wins in a top-heavy league rather than a deep league.

The two leagues were almost identical overall per Sagarin, but the difference was the PAC had less depth and more strength in the top two.

Well, if Utah is better than ISU this year, good for them. ISU had about as rough an off-season as you can have given how late the suspensions happened.

I’m one that bought into the Utah hype and thought they would come in and be the top dog in the new Big 12. I think it’s a lot more about owning a horrible PAC for a few years. They are a good program that will be a challenger in the league, but I think they’ve found out it’s a lot harder to win week in-week out when the league is deep.

But got to hand it to Northwestern. Even in the worst division in power conference football, winning games with that **** show is pretty amazing.

• Winner
Reactions: madguy30 and HFCS

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I don't know...people on here still seem to point to the 2020 Fiesta Bowl as some sort of standard, not an exception.

And it seems common for fans to see the bowl as some sort of tone setter for the program/next season.

It is stupid though; one (the bowl game) has nothing to do with the other (season 8 months later).

Also in this column is the 'well ISU beat Team X last season and Team X is traditionally not very good so it should just happen this year' narrative.

Bowls are really hard to predict. Opt outs or no opt outs. The playoff games are the only ones that matter anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
There are like 20 posts above mine talking about this. I’m agreeing with them. You want to hypocrite, then hypocrite. Either bowl games don’t matter or they do, just pick a lane, I don’t care which one.
CW didn’t say the Liberty Bowl matters and others don’t. He said due to the lack of impact transfers and opt outs it seems like the Liberty Bowl is like bowls used to be when they mattered.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
CW didn’t say the Liberty Bowl matters and others don’t. He said due to the lack of impact transfers and opt outs it seems like the Liberty Bowl is like bowls used to be when they mattered.

And then they said it was big for a program looking to make the playoff next year.

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Bowls are really hard to predict. Opt outs or no opt outs. The playoff games are the only ones that matter anyway.
Last year started to really impact bowls with transfers and opt outs. This year seems much worse. Used to love bowl season.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Who cares if the PAC was better at the top. In fact neither ISU or Utah were beating the top 1-2 in the league anyway, so it’s a lot easier to rack up wins in a top-heavy league rather than a deep league.

The two leagues were almost identical overall per Sagarin, but the difference was the PAC had less depth and more strength in the top two.

Well, if Utah is better than ISU this year, good for them. ISU had about as rough an off-season as you can have given how late the suspensions happened.

I’m one that bought into the Utah hype and thought they would come in and be the top dog in the new Big 12. I think it’s a lot more about owning a horrible PAC for a few years. They are a good program that will be a challenger in the league, but I think they’ve found out it’s a lot harder to win week in-week out when the league is deep.

But got to hand it to Northwestern. Even in the worst division in power conference football, winning games with that **** show is pretty amazing.
Their 4 losses were to the top 4 in conference who finished in the top 20. 3 of the 4 on the road. With all the injuries they salvaged it into a pretty decent season. I’m not ready to throw dirt on Utah’s grave yet. They will be and should the preseason favorites next year. We’ll see how they stack up.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Their 4 losses were to the top 4 in conference who finished in the top 20. 3 of the 4 on the road. With all the injuries they salvaged it into a pretty decent season. I’m not ready to throw dirt on Utah’s grave yet. They will be and should the preseason favorites next year. We’ll see how they stack up.
With Rising back nobody has any idea how good they may be. This season for Utah you can’t take too much from because Rising is an absolute difference maker at QB for them. Let’s see how they are with him back.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

They say 10-0 in the truck stop is easy. Their third stringers should stomp NW easily…or maybe they’re ignorant pompous morons.

Reactions: MugNight and NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
With Rising back nobody has any idea how good they may be. This season for Utah you can’t take too much from because Rising is an absolute difference maker at QB for them. Let’s see how they are with him back.

9-1 is below their expectations.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron