Official Utah Utes Welcome Thread

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Keeping a name after a team moves is not terribly uncommon. Did you ever wonder why LA calls their team "The Lakers"? They started in Minnesota. The Rams and Colts kept their names as well after moving Cities
It was stupid for them to retain the Lakers as it's associated with MN's geography. The Jazz is associated with the culture of NO. Do the Rams and Colts have any significance with their former cities other than picking random animal mascots?

At least the Expos/Nationals, Oilers/Titans, Supersonics/Thunder, Nordiques/Avalanche, and Whalers/Hurricanes were smart to change their names.

Reactions: nrg4isu

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
It was stupid for them to retain the Lakers as it's associated with MN's geography. The Jazz is associated with the culture of NO. Do the Rams and Colts have any significance with their former cities other than picking random animal mascots?

At least the Expos/Nationals, Oilers/Titans, Supersonics/Thunder, Nordiques/Avalanche, and Whalers/Hurricanes were smart to change their names.
I believe retaining the team nickname when moving cities was common prior to 1990. Just like changing the team nickname when moving cities is common since. Obviously teams like the Jazz, Lakers, Colts, etc. could all select new team nicknames at any time, but they have built up brand equity.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Just move the University of Utah to Iowa City and change the name to Newts.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Techically the Rams started out in an area where there aren't rams/bighorns (Cleveland) and moved to LA where there are bighorns nearby.

Then they kept the name when they moved to no bighorn area, then moved back to LA big horn area.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey

What is really weird to me is that the Lakers will wear Minneapolis lakers jerseys sometimes and even against the wolves! Of course it isn't like the move was anytime recent so it really isn't rubbing it in, but just seems odd to do. It is a shame that Dallas kept the stars name. It would've been cool for the north stars to return to Minnesota like how Winnipeg got the jets back after they moved to arizona and rebranded as coyotes.

Reactions: legi

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I seem to recall BYU having a similar view of their immediate success. I think I'll choose to have some games played before bowing to our overlords in the beehive state.

We all had a pretty good idea of what would happen in basketball. That Houston would be legit right away and the other three were hard to say. Cincy probably was what we all thought. BYU and and UCF actually were better in basketball than most would have guessed.

In FB the four newcomers definitely struggled, probably more than most thought. IIRC we were many weeks into season before any of them had a win over anybody but themselves.

I don't think Utah football is some juggernaut where they're just automatically going to win it all and contend for a national championship. We've had teams other than OU and Texas be in that conversation the past few decades with TCU, OK St and Baylor. It's not like they are some exact peer of Oklahoma coming in.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Nearly every school that switches conferences comes in, bigcocking around and gets humbled hardcore come October. Let them ride this. It will make the tears taste better in the fall.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

This conceit is very tongue-in-cheek but...

NBA TEAM NAME ROTATION

Los Angeles Lakers --> Minneapolis Lakers (much better fit in the Land of 10,000 Lakes)

Minnesota Timberwolves --> Toronto Huskies (a reference to the old BBA team)

Toronto Raptors --> Utah Raptors (which is literally an actual dinosaur)

Utah Jazz --> Memphis Jazz (Memphis' pedigree with the blues and jazz is up there with New Orleans)

Memphis Grizzlies --> Los Angeles Grizzlies (on the state flag as a symbol of California)

There. I fixed everything. You're welcome.

:)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Nearly every school that switches conferences comes in, bigcocking around and gets humbled hardcore come October. Let them ride this. It will make the tears taste better in the fall.

In theory, the newest 4 should be better prepared for the Big 12 than the first 4. But I was surprised at just how bad they were last year.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Caleb Lohner (Baylor MBB) is transferring to Utah . . . . to play football.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Caleb Lohner (Baylor MBB) is transferring to Utah . . . . to play football.

The legacy of Rico Gathers.