*** OFFICIAL VEISHEA WEEK 2014 THREAD ***

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
You all need to stop ******** about the cops. Some of the minor things they bust for are stupid, but of course they are gunna bust up parties that get too big. Many of the parties, including the party that led to the mobs last night, are called in by one of the house residents. What are you gunna do? Ignore them?

They can't just allow house parties to get bigger & bigger. That poses just as many dangers to students as an actual riot.
Sorry but they know it is a decent possibility that the riots happen when they break up the parties. If they think they can safely break up the party then yes break it up, but I am pretty sure every VEISHA riot is a result of the police breaking up a party.

If the house people are trying to stop the party and call the cops well sorry that is a consequence of having the party. Yes it sucks if they aren't able to stop the party, but a party is much better than riots.

Most college kids don't like cops sober and it is going to be a lot worse when they are drunk. They don't seem to understand that. The rioters were and always will be responsible for it, but most likely the cops are going to always be partially responsible as well.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm old now so I don't mind the police buy the one time I got in trouble in Ames was when I was on my way to work one spring and got coffee on main street at about 630 AM. I got back into my car, started it so the heat would run, and a bike cop tapped on my window. He gave me a ticket for operating a vehicle without a seat belt on. I was still in the parking spot messing with my coffee and radio at the time.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Ames cops are awful. I got stopped before because I "looked suspicious" when I was walking home and went through the Cyclone Plaza garage to get to my apartment. A cop stopped me and asked what I was doing and I told him I was just going home. He asked for my ID and ran it against the arrest warrant registry. At the time I was just stunned I was stopped so I just did everything he said. Now looking back at it I wonder if they had the authority to do that legally. Anybody here with a law background know if they can do this legally?

Yes they can because you complied/consented. You do NOT have to show ID for looking suspicious or being questioned. Search for am I being detained. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djO3ngq8FJg). Its your 4th amendment right to privacy.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I got searched by Ames police twice for no reason, both times I was sober. Once I was on the phone outside Helser, the 2nd time I was walking home from the library. Neither time did it seem like an opption and both times the guy was too harsh.

If you expect the cops to be nice and care-bears after Tuesday night, you're in for a bad week.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Anyone stupid enough to host a huge house party last night deserves to be arrested. Anyone stupid enough to have attended deserves to be cited.

Last edited:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I got searched by Ames police twice for no reason, both times I was sober. Once I was on the phone outside Helser, the 2nd time I was walking home from the library. Neither time did it seem like an opption and both times the guy was too harsh.

From Wiki on a Terry Stop .... They didn't have the right to search you based on the info in your post.

To have reasonable suspicion that would justify a stop, police must be able to point to “specific and articulable facts” that would indicate to a reasonable person that a crime has been, is being, or is about to be committed

Ask the officer (if you want to speak to him, you can ignore him): Is this a Terry stop? What specific and articulate facts caused you to stop me? Am I being detained or am I free to go?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
From Wiki on a Terry Stop .... They didn't have the right to search you based on the info in your post.

Ask the officer (if you want to speak to him, you can ignore him): Is this a Terry stop? What specific and articulate facts caused you to stop me? Am I being detained or am I free to go?
I know I could have but they were going to search me regardless.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Get them off the streets, then get them out of the houses, then boot them out of Ames. For the APD Victory. The town will be cleansed by the football game.

And then the Alumni comes to town. With knowldge that underclassman only wish they had.

Like what a Terry Stop is.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
snitches get stitches, i hope this kid gets busted for turning in his roommate/friend. What a tool!

If someone has roommates that aren't interested in it and are holding a house party big and loud enough in the middle of the week that the cops think it is worth busting up when it gets called in... then I don't exactly think the guy calling it in is the tool. I think that honor belongs to the guy who is being an ******* roommate. The guy hosting the party.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Ames cops are awful. I got stopped before because I "looked suspicious" when I was walking home and went through the Cyclone Plaza garage to get to my apartment. A cop stopped me and asked what I was doing and I told him I was just going home. He asked for my ID and ran it against the arrest warrant registry. At the time I was just stunned I was stopped so I just did everything he said. Now looking back at it I wonder if they had the authority to do that legally. Anybody here with a law background know if they can do this legally?

I've only lived in 3 towns my entire life (Dubuque, Ames and Ankeny), and Ames cops do not hold a candle next to the Dubuque cops. Growing up in Dubuque for 19 years, then going to college in Ames, I was actually surprised at how lax the Ames cops were compared to Dubuque cops.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I love Ames cops. Lived here my whole life. I always wear a seat belt and the one time I forgot, an officer pulled up next to me at a red light and yelled at me to put it back on. So I thanked him.

I also got pulled over going 14 over on a Friday night. Cop asked me how much I'd had to drink that night, I told him nothing, he said he didn't smell anything and let me go.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012

Step 1) be attractive
Step 2) don't be unattractive

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
im still bumped that there is no veishea i guess im just going watch the masters or something this weekend

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I love Ames cops. Lived here my whole life. I always wear a seat belt and the one time I forgot, an officer pulled up next to me at a red light and yelled at me to put it back on. So I thanked him.

I also got pulled over going 14 over on a Friday night. Cop asked me how much I'd had to drink that night, I told him nothing, he said he didn't smell anything and let me go.

Those are nice little stories, but I think you're the exception, not the rule. I would wager there are 10 times as many stories stating the exact opposite in those types of situations.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Those are nice little stories, but I think you're the exception, not the rule. I would wager there are 10 times as many stories stating the exact opposite in those types of situations.

...and I would guess 90% of those "exact opposite stories" are people who are actually in the wrong, and try to spin it as "the cops were mean to me, I did nothing wrong".