*** OFFICIAL VEISHEA WEEK 2014 THREAD ***

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Quite the contrary - not exagerating at all. Watch this video.

Watch this video, especially the last half and tell me what exactly the cops are doing to provoke this madness. And tell me how exactly they aren't putting their butts on the line by being there? If you can defend this type of behavior, you can't call me holier than thou; you simply don't have an understanding of human decency.

[video=youtube;c56k-5R4xnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c56k-5R4xnQ[/video]

I'm probably most disturbed by every one with their phones out hoping to catch something on video....just hoping they get the shot of a beer can hitting a cop in the face.

And that idiot at the end in the red coat dancing in the middle of the street? Wow.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Oh I've been in the real world plenty long enough & totally understand, thanks though.

I'm not trying to whine about it or defend rioters at all. The person saying the police should tell the residents 'Too bad, shouldn't have had the party. This mob is your problem' might have brain damage. I'm not sure if there were any other options for the police other than herding them to Welch. In those instances, why don't they just start issuing PAULA/Pub. Intox tickets (serious question)? Are there not enough of them to adequately do that while somewhat keeping order?

I would think if I were leaving a party & tickets were being issued, it'd make me wanna get outta there & go home. Maybe that would just **** the crowd off more, though, I don't know.
Which would you rather have though. What they are doing obviously doesn't work when we keep having riots. It is time to try something new.

By the way I extremely dislike VEISHEA because of the binge drinking. I think most of the people at these parties are kind of stupid.

In no way am I excuseing what they are doing but there comes a time where you have to realize this is not working and we need to try something else.

I'm also not saying this for every party they break up. There shouldn't be strict protocol because every situation is different. They need to adapt and I don't think they realize that

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Which would you rather have though. What they are doing obviously doesn't work when we keep having riots. It is time to try something new.

By the way I extremely dislike VEISHEA because of the binge drinking. I think most of the people at these parties are kind of stupid.

In no way am I excuseing what they are doing but there comes a time where you have to realize this is not working and we need to try something else.

I'm also not saying this for every party they break up. There shouldn't be strict protocol because every situation is different. They need to adapt and I don't think they realize that

Police break up large parties all over the country all year round and riots don't occur. The problem isn't the police tactics. The problem is the VEISHEA culture that exists. When a bunch of dumb, drunk young people already have riot on their brain they are just looking for any chance for a few idiots to start destroying **** so they can also enjoy the mob madness. It's pathetic. The only people to blame for this are all the idiots that took part in the display of stupidity that was the riot on Tuesday night.

Iowa State has a riot problem. The first step to fixing the problem is acknowledging that it exists. Sadly, many are still in denial of the true cause of the problem.

Relic

May 22, 2008
Ames, IA
They didn't use bullhorns when they were telling us to get off the street. (You're right, I probably shouldn't have been around but I was curious and humans are naturally curious.)

What are you a chimpanzee? Poking at stuff with a straw? Intelligence should win out over curiosity. There is absolutely no excuse (regardless of how hard you try to justify your actions) for standing around when the savages are tearing apart city or university property. Do ISU a favor and transfer to the U. of Akron. Perhaps this behavior is more acceptable there.

Relic

Last edited:

Dreamyfred

Mar 28, 2014
Minnesota
And this is Ames, IA - there isn't exactly an unlimited police budget. They've had to cut force size just like every other city because the same people that ***** and moan about them not having enough cops in times like this are the same ones ******** and moaning about taxes being too high which would pay for those additional cops. People want everything but don't want to pay for anything and then like to ***** and complain after the fact.
IDK didnt they just buy a ******* super-tank to prod around town in. In most cities the police budget is the highest and everyone knows ames cops are the biggest tools around. Listen to the blotter last night, "that guys playing loud music in his car on veishea, i have no problem jailing him" ******* tools!

Dreamyfred

Mar 28, 2014
Minnesota
Police break up large parties all over the country all year round and riots don't occur. The problem isn't the police tactics. The problem is the VEISHEA culture that exists. When a bunch of dumb, drunk young people already have riot on their brain they are just looking for any chance for a few idiots to start destroying **** so they can also enjoy the mob madness. It's pathetic. The only people to blame for this are all the idiots that took part in the display of stupidity that was the riot on Tuesday night.

Iowa State has a riot problem. The first step to fixing the problem is acknowledging that it exists. Sadly, many are still in denial of the true cause of the problem.
Yea remember those riots in 2005, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 2013. Those kids are just out to riot every day!

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
IDK didnt they just buy a ******* super-tank to prod around town in. In most cities the police budget is the highest and everyone knows ames cops are the biggest tools around. Listen to the blotter last night, "that guys playing loud music in his car on veishea, i have no problem jailing him" ******* tools!

facepalm.jpg

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO

Based on your posts thus far, you are the epitome of why I am pro-choice.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
O6rBf.gif

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

Exactly there is a problem that needs to be fixed with eliminating the idea that people should riot. I agree completely with that. That doesn't mean that you should throw gas on the flames. It is stupid that the police need to be called to break up parties and it is stupid that they have to think about preventing riots. That is all completely true. All I'm saying is what they try to do is obviously not working so they should reevaluate what they do.

Where do most of the riots occur? Campustown
What precedes the riots? Breaking up parties during VEISHEA

Now lets try to not break up parties unless necessary and when we do lets not send everyone to campustown.

The rioters take the majority of the blame probably 85%+, but the police keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. They need to take their 10% of the blame and then the rest is really no ones fault it just happens.

So we have:
85% rioters
10% police
5% no ones fault

Changing the mentality of VEISHEA to eliminate the rioting and drinking is a long process. In the short term we have to take the options that were given and try and minimize the damage.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Last night had way fewer people out. I think cancelling Veishea is already showing to be the right solution.

I think that had more to do with what happened Tuesday night. I expect it to pick up over weekend.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Taking this Veisha incident out, in general Ames cops are terrible compared to other cities. There is not a whole lot of crime that goes on in Ames, so the only way they can generate revenue (Which they despearately need) is fishing for anything that they can find. Anywhere from there parking meter devision, to traffic citatations, and further on down the list, Ames cops are way worse than what I have seen in other cities. Just like anything else, it's all about the $.

In regards to Veishea....I'm not blaming the cops solely for what happened, but let's be honest, they got caught with their pants down on Tuesday night. Way to understaffed for Veishea. Just listening to the police scanner last night was pathetic. Trying to find anything they could to take someone down.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Taking this Veisha incident out, in general Ames cops are terrible compared to other cities.

A coworker was driving to work today and a school bus pulled over into the parking lane of a street. The driver stuck his arm out and waved her around. She went around and immediately a cop pulled her over. Now she lost her license for 30 days and has to have Sr22 insurance for 2 years. There are **** cops everywhere.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Also heard a bad rumor about a basketball player about something that happened last night. Really hope it's not true. Posting it here because it doesn't deserve it's own thread yet, and hopefully never will.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm probably most disturbed by every one with their phones out hoping to catch something on video....just hoping they get the shot of a beer can hitting a cop in the face.

And that idiot at the end in the red coat dancing in the middle of the street? Wow.

My initial reaction to the multitude of kids standing around filming everything was annoyance. Why weren't they trying to stop the stupidity or at least get out of there? They seem to just be giving the idiots an audience. On the other hand, the ones that sent their footage to Ames PD are proving helpful. You would think the abundance of phones might be a deterrent to the illegal activities but I suppose the perps are either too stupid or drunk to care, especially since they posted pictures of themselves in the act to social media.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
My initial reaction to the multitude of kids standing around filming everything was annoyance. Why weren't they trying to stop the stupidity or at least get out of there? They seem to just be giving the idiots an audience. On the other hand, the ones that sent their footage to Ames PD are proving helpful. You would think the abundance of phones might be a deterrent to the illegal activities but I suppose the perps are either too stupid or drunk to care, especially since they posted pictures of themselves in the act to social media.

The people videotaping are the worst to me. They know exactly whats going on, they just want to be the kid with the most "likes" at the end of the day. They would rather get a cool snapchat to their friends than stop people from destroying property or, better yet, leaving.

I removed anyone and everyone who posted a selfie of themselves at the riot. **** that and **** you.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Also heard a bad rumor about a basketball player about something that happened last night. Really hope it's not true. Posting it here because it doesn't deserve it's own thread yet, and hopefully never will.

Yeah good call not posting whatever it is. I have no idea what you're talking about, but whatever it is hopefully it doesn't come out or is untrue.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

For sure...if they provide that film (if they have good shots of the actual people launching beer, etc) that's great...but the bystander effect is dangerous for sure.

I know we all probably had some "silly" moments at one time or another...but I can remember "back in the day" when I had a few I always felt I could still know right from wrong or when to cool off. I suppose the old saying of alcohol only amplifying who you already are can be true.