*** OFFICIAL VEISHEA WEEK 2014 THREAD ***

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
For the most part, this wasn't a "violent" mob. It certainly wasn't like we see in political revolutions in other parts of the world where they are being supported by military and para-military forces. This was mostly a bunch of drunken college students "going crazy" and "having a good time." It appears that only a handful ever did anything truly violent (tipping cars, knocking over light poles) and a few more were lobbing beer cans from the back of the mob (how brave of them). The main acts of violence seem to be just a few people deciding on a whim to do it. The fact that it didn't happen more often tells me that the mob wasn't really all that violent. It wasn't like they were going down the street tipping every car, breaking every window, taking down every light pole, etc.

I'm not sure that I would want to be one of them, but if a few had tried to prevent the car-tipping and light pole-breaking, we might still have VEISHEA and not be looking like idiots on national TV.

So they committed violent acts but they weren't violent?

If there's something I know about drunken college kids it's how open they are to random people telling them what to do. If someone was dumb enough to try and stop them it would probably have ended in someone getting their *** beat.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Lisa: Dad, for the last time, please don't lower yourself to the level of the mob.

Homer: Lisa, maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions. Now where's my giant foam cowboy hat and airhorn?

Actually, if just a few "friends" had acted like friends, they might have prevented some things from happening that are going to result in some bad consequences for their friends and all of us. Everybody jokes about car-tipping, but knows you aren't supposed to do it. If your drunk friend is the one who starts doing it, then at least try to stop him.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A coworker was driving to work today and a school bus pulled over into the parking lane of a street. The driver stuck his arm out and waved her around. She went around and immediately a cop pulled her over. Now she lost her license for 30 days and has to have Sr22 insurance for 2 years. There are **** cops everywhere.

IF that actually happened, thats one to take to court. Hell, for the price of that insurance its probably worth a lawyer

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
IF that actually happened, thats one to take to court. Hell, for the price of that insurance its probably worth a lawyer

It did happen. She lives in the DSM area and drives up here and her daughter has to pick her up. She has been crying all day. I feel really bad for her.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It did happen. She lives in the DSM area and drives up here and her daughter has to pick her up. She has been crying all day. I feel really bad for her.

Yeah, don't pass a school bus when the lights are flashing, if you do that you're gonna have a bad time.

I think the 30 day license suspension is somewhat new.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
Which would you rather have though. What they are doing obviously doesn't work when we keep having riots. It is time to try something new.

By the way I extremely dislike VEISHEA because of the binge drinking. I think most of the people at these parties are kind of stupid.

In no way am I excuseing what they are doing but there comes a time where you have to realize this is not working and we need to try something else.

I'm also not saying this for every party they break up. There shouldn't be strict protocol because every situation is different. They need to adapt and I don't think they realize that

I remember my first beer

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I "watched" rioting in '88. I'm 46 now and I don't consider myself guilty of anything at all. There was nobody getting hurt though that I could see. I was just watching with "WTF?" going through my head. Should I have left? Maybe, but I had never seen anything like it.

If I would have been arrested it would have been a joke.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I "watched" rioting in '88. I'm 46 now and I don't consider myself guilty of anything at all. There was nobody getting hurt though that I could see. I was just watching with "WTF?" going through my head. Should I have left? Maybe, but I had never seen anything like it.

If I would have been arrested it would have been a joke.
Evil doer

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Never had any alcohol in my life if thats what you are trying to imply. I go home on the weekends to avoid the drunk people as well as other reasons, but to suggest I am just making excuses is wrong.

You are going to be fun to work with.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
You are going to be fun to work with.
How? When I am 21 I definitely will drink. It isn't the drinking itself that I have a problem with. I have a problem when people drink to much and then puke on every toilet in our dorm.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
How? When I am 21 I definitely will drink. It isn't the drinking itself that I have a problem with. I have a problem when people drink to much and then puke on every toilet in our dorm.

Each room has two garbage cans. Pro tip.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty

A friend of mine had never had jack Daniels before and did like 8 shots. He didn't make it to the toilet. Bathroom smelled like jack for the rest of the weekend.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I have finally read the whole thread. It can be closed and deleted now. Thanks for your participation!

I've actually been thinking about how much larger events with much rowdier crowd members don't become riots (or melees or whatever...) I go to Sturgis for the rally regularly, the numbers are always estimated in the hundreds of thousands. I think there's a bar every 15-20 feet. Try to argue that a 19yr old college kid parties harder than some of the bikers. While there have been incidents in the past, it is generally pretty tame. Is it b/c no one is rushing in to stop the party? Or that the police presence is very visible? Or an older crowd is just more responsible? (Jimlad that last one, go watch one episode of Full Throttle for examples of way too many bad decisions being made by "adults"...)

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Are we still arguing about the same stuff? Or something different now?

I think it's now about whether you'd rather be hit in the head by a full beer can or a stop sign.

Wait, maybe that's the other thread.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
I have finally read the whole thread. It can be closed and deleted now. Thanks for your participation!

I've actually been thinking about how much larger events with much rowdier crowd members don't become riots (or melees or whatever...) I go to Sturgis for the rally regularly, the numbers are always estimated in the hundreds of thousands. I think there's a bar every 15-20 feet. Try to argue that a 19yr old college kid parties harder than some of the bikers. While there have been incidents in the past, it is generally pretty tame. Is it b/c no one is rushing in to stop the party? Or that the police presence is very visible? Or an older crowd is just more responsible? (Jimlad that last one, go watch one episode of Full Throttle for examples of way too many bad decisions being made by "adults"...)

I think this is partially true. Additionally it isn't as 'cool' or whatever to destroy things when you get older. There isn't the desire to do stuff like that or be a part of something like that. Additionally the older you get the more you realize the consequences. People were being destructive because they thought they could get away with being destructive. (some will get away with it) And finally older people tend to weigh what they would lose more heavily than college age students.

The people that engage in these destructive activities, are people who think they won't get caught (or worth the risk of getting caught) and think others will be impressed or entertained by their actions. Their rationality is limited to the present. They do what they think will be the best or coolest thing for them right now. #YOLO

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron