*** OFFICIAL VEISHEA WEEK 2014 THREAD ***

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
You can't be serious.....
Suff happens that no one can really control. There is a limited responsibility in everything that it is just what is going to happen. The 5% I would equate to the pre made opinions of the people involved. This is the luck factor I guess. If you want to eliminate it and add to the other two groups whatever. Saying "You can't be serious...." is an absolute joke if that is how you interact with people.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Suff happens that no one can really control. There is a limited responsibility in everything that it is just what is going to happen. The 5% I would equate to the pre made opinions of the people involved. This is the luck factor I guess. If you want to eliminate it and add to the other two groups whatever. Saying "You can't be serious...." is an absolute joke if that is how you interact with people.

You STILL can't be serious...

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Also heard a bad rumor about a basketball player about something that happened last night. Really hope it's not true. Posting it here because it doesn't deserve it's own thread yet, and hopefully never will.
i posted something similar and got made fun of it so hopefully nothing happens

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
So we joke about the 2004 riot now. When will it be ok to joke about this one? I've gone from ****** with the students to kind of laughing at the stupidity from them

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Stuff happens that third parties can't always control. The cops can't always control what drunk idiots are going to do during VEISHEA. But those drunk idiots control whether or not they do something stupid. In no way are those people not entirely responsible for their actions.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
******* idiots. That includes everyone that was there and everyone that is defending the rioters.

I'm still waiting for someone who was there to take some responsibility. If you were there watching (and especially if you were cheering) while someone tipped over a car or knocked over a light pole, then you contributed. I don't hear or see anyone on the videos trying to prevent things from going too far, but I see lots of people contributing in various ways. I would like to think that if it was bad enough, someone would step up and try to stop it. Everyone there voted by their actions that they think this was okay (or at least not bad enough). If you want "good things," you have to be responsible to take care of them. You didn't (even the hundreds just watching), so now you pay by not having the rest of VEISHEA (which is actually a pretty minor consequence compared to what could happen in these situations).

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
i posted something similar and got made fun of it so hopefully nothing happens

Yeah good call not posting whatever it is. I have no idea what you're talking about, but whatever it is hopefully it doesn't come out or is untrue.

Yeah I don't want to spread it, especially since I don't know if it's true or not. It would be extremely bad though.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
A coworker was driving to work today and a school bus pulled over into the parking lane of a street. The driver stuck his arm out and waved her around. She went around and immediately a cop pulled her over. Now she lost her license for 30 days and has to have Sr22 insurance for 2 years. There are **** cops everywhere.
Thingsthatreallyhappened.com

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Do I really need to explain why it's a bad idea to jump into a violent druken mob and tell them to behave?

For the most part, this wasn't a "violent" mob. It certainly wasn't like we see in political revolutions in other parts of the world where they are being supported by military and para-military forces. This was mostly a bunch of drunken college students "going crazy" and "having a good time." It appears that only a handful ever did anything truly violent (tipping cars, knocking over light poles) and a few more were lobbing beer cans from the back of the mob (how brave of them). The main acts of violence seem to be just a few people deciding on a whim to do it. The fact that it didn't happen more often tells me that the mob wasn't really all that violent. It wasn't like they were going down the street tipping every car, breaking every window, taking down every light pole, etc.

I'm not sure that I would want to be one of them, but if a few had tried to prevent the car-tipping and light pole-breaking, we might still have VEISHEA and not be looking like idiots on national TV.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Yeah I don't want to spread it [so I'm gonna spread rumors anyway just in case it's true so I say I called first] [yes I am an *******, I like calling people out] , especially since I don't know if it's true or not. It would be extremely bad though.

I remember playing this game with my brother. Let's see... probably a quarterback.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
For the most part, this wasn't a "violent" mob. It certainly wasn't like we see in political revolutions in other parts of the world where they are being supported by military and para-military forces. This was mostly a bunch of drunken college students "going crazy" and "having a good time." It appears that only a handful ever did anything truly violent (tipping cars, knocking over light poles) and a few more were lobbing beer cans from the back of the mob (how brave of them). The main acts of violence seem to be just a few people deciding on a whim to do it. The fact that it didn't happen more often tells me that the mob wasn't really all that violent. It wasn't like they were going down the street tipping every car, breaking every window, taking down every light pole, etc.

I'm not sure that I would want to be one of them, but if a few had tried to prevent the car-tipping and light pole-breaking, we might still have VEISHEA and not be looking like idiots on national TV.
They were a nice mob, they all just wanted to be loved.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They were a nice mob, they all just wanted to be loved.

Lisa: Dad, for the last time, please don't lower yourself to the level of the mob.

Homer: Lisa, maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions. Now where's my giant foam cowboy hat and airhorn?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
And that idiot at the end in the red coat dancing in the middle of the street? Wow.

Quite a demonstration of control by the officers. I would have taken him out first and really set an example for the rest of the crowd...of course this probably would have been very ineffective for diminishing the crowd.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009

Doubt it

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
What are you a chimpanzee? Poking at stuff with a straw? Intelligence should win out over curiosity. There is absolutely no excuse (regardless of how hard you try to justify your actions) for standing around when the savages are tearing apart city or university property. Do ISU a favor and transfer to the U. of Akron. Perhaps this behavior is more acceptable there.

Relic

703.gif

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
I remember playing this game with my brother. Let's see... probably a quarterback.

Hmm that's weird because I don't remember mentioning any names. This is a message board and I am just saying people shouldn't be surprised if something bad come out about a basketball player. It was a rumor I heard and I never said it was true, and hope it isn't.