*** OFFICIAL VEISHEA WEEK 2014 THREAD ***

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think this is partially true. Additionally it isn't as 'cool' or whatever to destroy things when you get older. There isn't the desire to do stuff like that or be a part of something like that. Additionally the older you get the more you realize the consequences. People were being destructive because they thought they could get away with being destructive. (some will get away with it) And finally older people tend to weigh what they would lose more heavily than college age students.

The people that engage in these destructive activities, are people who think they won't get caught (or worth the risk of getting caught) and think others will be impressed or entertained by their actions. Their rationality is limited to the present. They do what they think will be the best or coolest thing for them right now. #YOLO

So, why this year? And why on a Tuesday? And why didn't we see cars tipped and poles knocked over last year? Does it mostly come down to nice weather during a late VEISHEA?

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Earlier when people were talking about the one video and the dope who was out dancing/inciting people...they got him:

Also arrested was Mark Ribbeck, 20, of Ames, on a charge of harassment of a public official.
Huff said Ribbeck stepped out from the crowd into the gap between the crowd and police officers and began dancing around and taunting officers, causing the crowd to get even more riled up.- See more at: http://amestrib.com/news/ames-and-s...onnection-veishea-ruckus#sthash.HGSIkTKC.dpuf

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Earlier when people were talking about the one video and the dope who was out dancing/inciting people...they got him:

Also arrested was Mark Ribbeck, 20, of Ames, on a charge of harassment of a public official.
Huff said Ribbeck stepped out from the crowd into the gap between the crowd and police officers and began dancing around and taunting officers, causing the crowd to get even more riled up.- See more at: http://amestrib.com/news/ames-and-s...onnection-veishea-ruckus#sthash.HGSIkTKC.dpuf

That is awesome. So glad that happened.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Serious question - is 7 cops on duty normal for a town the size of Ames? That doesn't seem like very many to me. I feel like there were times that I could drive down Lincoln Way from South Dakota to Duff and see almost that many in one trip.

Although I guess this was at 11 P.M. though, not the middle of the day.

They were probably saving their hours for later in the week.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So, why this year? And why on a Tuesday? And why didn't we see cars tipped and poles knocked over last year? Does it mostly come down to nice weather during a late VEISHEA?

Nice weather really helps.

Looks like David had the worst charges filed against him so far. Going out with a bang.

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

That's great. Screw that guy.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE

Is ISU legally required to release his transcript to his next school?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I have finally read the whole thread. It can be closed and deleted now. Thanks for your participation!

I've actually been thinking about how much larger events with much rowdier crowd members don't become riots (or melees or whatever...) I go to Sturgis for the rally regularly, the numbers are always estimated in the hundreds of thousands. I think there's a bar every 15-20 feet. Try to argue that a 19yr old college kid parties harder than some of the bikers. While there have been incidents in the past, it is generally pretty tame. Is it b/c no one is rushing in to stop the party? Or that the police presence is very visible? Or an older crowd is just more responsible? (Jimlad that last one, go watch one episode of Full Throttle for examples of way too many bad decisions being made by "adults"...)

I'm guessing at Sturgis they police their own a lot better.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I'm guessing at Sturgis they police their own a lot better.

At Sturgis, they certainly frown on bike-tipping!

I'm always amazed by the sheer number of law enforcement that they have on hand, and they don't mess around either. Your bike parked on Main when they clean the streets every night? Towed. Little flashing? Arrested. Go over to Huellette, WY on Wed. and you see police from everywhere in Wyoming, in just for the day. I bet it's not cheap, but they have very few serious incidents anymore. History of the rally was getting ugly, they've really cleaned it up a lot. Kind of annoying now, actually... :jimlad: But I LOVE riding in the Black Hills, it's worth the hassle!

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Why cant every night of VEISHEA be like tonight? Yeah there is a lot going on, but its just parties and nothing stupid crazy.

(knocks on wood)

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Fun fact: You can get 5 free shots at Yokes if it's your birthday...
- side effects may in including waking up on your couch the next morning with no clue as to how you got there.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Fun fact: You can get 5 free shots at Yokes if it's your birthday...
- side effects may in including waking up on your couch the next morning with no clue as to how you got there.
Do they still do the thing where they start with a good tasting shot and by the end it's a horrible shot?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron