*** OFFICIAL VEISHEA WEEK 2014 THREAD ***

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
...and I would guess 90% of those "exact opposite stories" are people who are actually in the wrong, and try to spin it as "the cops were mean to me, I did nothing wrong".
So much this. The people that cops are being a-holes to are the people that are typically being a-holes in the first place. If you're cool and respectful to the cop, they are typically the same in return.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I love Ames cops. Lived here my whole life. I always wear a seat belt and the one time I forgot, an officer pulled up next to me at a red light and yelled at me to put it back on. So I thanked him.

I also got pulled over going 14 over on a Friday night. Cop asked me how much I'd had to drink that night, I told him nothing, he said he didn't smell anything and let me go.

Ironic, because I got a no seat belt ticket while in the parking lot of the Jacobson Building. I was leaving Sunday check-in and was driving in the parking lot and stopped at the stop sign to enter whatever that road is that runs between the FB stadium and Hilton lots. I then proceeded to put on my seat belt and pulled out on that road and the cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for no seat belt because he saw me driving in the parking lot without it.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Ironic, because I got a no seat belt ticket while in the parking lot of the Jacobson Building. I was leaving Sunday check-in and was driving in the parking lot and stopped at the stop sign to enter whatever that road is that runs between the FB stadium and Hilton lots. I then proceeded to put on my seat belt and pulled out on that road and the cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket for no seat belt because he saw me driving in the parking lot without it.

Well since you stated you graduated in 2002, Ill just say this. Ames cops are not that bad, IMO, and after the 2004 riots, it seemed like they went out of their way to be more "cool" and try to change the perception that the cops are just out to get college students. I think they did a good job with that, but most people will refuse to believe that cops can ever been cool.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Can't we all agree that there is fault on both sides, but the rioters shoulder the brunt of the blame? Or Naw?

You can't fault the cops for doing their jobs. The people hosting the party called the cops to get their party under control.

Even when they had glass bottles being thrown at them, they kept their cool. 110% rioters.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
It sounds like they did do something wrong, by breaking up a big party and once again herding it down to welch. That doesnt excuse the actions of the idiots in the crowd but its a mistake that's been made before and you'd think the police wouldnt be dumb enough to repeat the mistake... but... yet they still are.

They people hosting the party called police because it was getting out of control. What other possible action was there for the police to take?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Quite the exaggeration there buddy

Quite the contrary - not exagerating at all. Watch this video.

Watch this video, especially the last half and tell me what exactly the cops are doing to provoke this madness. And tell me how exactly they aren't putting their butts on the line by being there? If you can defend this type of behavior, you can't call me holier than thou; you simply don't have an understanding of human decency.

[video=youtube;c56k-5R4xnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c56k-5R4xnQ[/video]

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
...and I would guess 90% of those "exact opposite stories" are people who are actually in the wrong, and try to spin it as "the cops were mean to me, I did nothing wrong".

Oh I don't doubt most were in the wrong in some capacity. People who jaywalk are technically in the wrong, doesn't mean you have to give them a ticket. I just wish stories of warnings like the post I replied to were more common.

Well since you stated you graduated in 2002, Ill just say this. Ames cops are not that bad, IMO, and after the 2004 riots, it seemed like they went out of their way to be more "cool" and try to change the perception that the cops are just out to get college students. I think they did a good job with that, but most people will refuse to believe that cops can ever been cool.

I'd agree with this to a degree. The police don't have to let underage people just leave a party without ticketing them, or let people stumble home from Welch, but more oft than not they do. On the other hand, though, they also don't have to stop a kid walking down Lincoln Way just because it's Friday night & he's wearing a backpack..

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
They people hosting the party called police because it was getting out of control. What other possible action was there for the police to take?

Telling the hosts: sorry we don't want to possibly start riots. This is a consequence of having a house party.

Yes that sucks for the people who live there and near there but it is much better than the alternate. I don't get how people don't understand this. Even if it is wrong that they can't do anything it is also safer.

The same thing happens when they call of high speed chases. Yeah the person/people might get away with it but it isn't worth the risk.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
How can you blame the cops or being extra vigilant and hard nosed less than 24 hours after a riot? Sure, some cops can be jerks at times, so can civilians. And to suggest the cops haven't learned their lesson and keep causing the issues, that is pure BS. When they have to break up a house party in that area, Welch is the best place to direct the students to because it's wide open, well lit and easier to contain. If you knew much about these things, most cities and police departments have clear guidelines on how to drive the traffic as they've done studies to determine the best route.

And to say that the cops breaking up a party is what causes riots, that's just asinine. It isn't the cops that make the adult decision to take on a mob mentality, throw bottles and fireworks, damage vehicles and property, etc - it's the dunk SOBs you're all defending that make that decision.

It isn't being holier than thou to point out a person opinion when that opinion just happens to be backed up by various psychology and law enforcement studies about the behaviors of mob mentalities and what contributes to their aggressive behaviors. Do I feel I'm better than anybody else - nope, but I also make my own adult decisions to be on the side of the fence where people respect other people, they don't act like animals, and they don't let themselves get out of control. If that makes me holier than though, than I guess I'm proud to wear that badge.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Oh I don't doubt most were in the wrong in some capacity. People who jaywalk are technically in the wrong, doesn't mean you have to give them a ticket. I just wish stories of warnings like the post I replied to were more common.

I'd agree with this to a degree. The police don't have to let underage people just leave a party without ticketing them, or let people stumble home from Welch, but more oft than not they do. On the other hand, though, they also don't have to stop a kid walking down Lincoln Way just because it's Friday night & he's wearing a backpack..

It's just like going to a tech forum - you aren't going to see many people that aren't having problems with their iPhone, Mac, Galaxy Note, etc post about how great their device is working, you're going to hear mostly from the people that are having problems, got screwed with a defect issue, etc. Cops are people and people can be jerks - welcome to the real world.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Quite the contrary - not exagerating at all. Watch this video.

Watch this video, especially the last half and tell me what exactly the cops are doing to provoke this madness. And tell me how exactly they aren't putting their butts on the line by being there? If you can defend this type of behavior, you can't call me holier than thou; you simply don't have an understanding of human decency.

[video=youtube;c56k-5R4xnQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c56k-5R4xnQ[/video]

******* idiots. That includes everyone that was there and everyone that is defending the rioters.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
It's just like going to a tech forum - you aren't going to see many people that aren't having problems with their iPhone, Mac, Galaxy Note, etc post about how great their device is working, you're going to hear mostly from the people that are having problems, got screwed with a defect issue, etc. Cops are people and people can be jerks - welcome to the real world.

Oh I've been in the real world plenty long enough & totally understand, thanks though.

I'm not trying to whine about it or defend rioters at all. The person saying the police should tell the residents 'Too bad, shouldn't have had the party. This mob is your problem' might have brain damage. I'm not sure if there were any other options for the police other than herding them to Welch. In those instances, why don't they just start issuing PAULA/Pub. Intox tickets (serious question)? Are there not enough of them to adequately do that while somewhat keeping order?

I would think if I were leaving a party & tickets were being issued, it'd make me wanna get outta there & go home. Maybe that would just **** the crowd off more, though, I don't know.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Oh I've been in the real world plenty long enough & totally understand, thanks though.

I'm not trying to whine about it or defend rioters at all. The person saying the police should tell the residents 'Too bad, shouldn't have had the party. This mob is your problem' might have brain damage. I'm not sure if there were any other options for the police other than herding them to Welch. In those instances, why don't they just start issuing PAULA/Pub. Intox tickets (serious question)? Are there not enough of them to adequately do that while somewhat keeping order?

I would think if I were leaving a party & tickets were being issued, it'd make me wanna get outta there & go home. Maybe that would just **** the crowd off more, though, I don't know.

They only had 7 cops working because they weren't expecting a riot on a Tuesday.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Telling the hosts: sorry we don't want to possibly start riots. This is a consequence of having a house party.

Yes that sucks for the people who live there and near there but it is much better than the alternate. I don't get how people don't understand this. Even if it is wrong that they can't do anything it is also safer.

The same thing happens when they call of high speed chases. Yeah the person/people might get away with it but it isn't worth the risk.

So your solution for handling a party spiraling out of control - is to let it spiral further?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
They only had 7 cops working because they weren't expecting a riot on a Tuesday.

Serious question - is 7 cops on duty normal for a town the size of Ames? That doesn't seem like very many to me. I feel like there were times that I could drive down Lincoln Way from South Dakota to Duff and see almost that many in one trip.

Although I guess this was at 11 P.M. though, not the middle of the day.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

And this is Ames, IA - there isn't exactly an unlimited police budget. They've had to cut force size just like every other city because the same people that ***** and moan about them not having enough cops in times like this are the same ones ******** and moaning about taxes being too high which would pay for those additional cops. People want everything but don't want to pay for anything and then like to ***** and complain after the fact.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

You do realize there are parties that get busted up all year, right?

The only time the students feel the need to riot is Veishea week. That sounds sad, but it is the truth. Parties get broken up all year, and many bigger than Veishea week parties.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Serious question - is 7 cops on duty normal for a town the size of Ames? That doesn't seem like very many to me. I feel like there were times that I could drive down Lincoln Way from South Dakota to Duff and see almost that many in one trip.

Although I guess this was at 11 P.M. though, not the middle of the day.

Yes. That would probably include at least one supervisor. That number would not include ISU DPS so you could add another three or so officers to that number. But a town the size and with the activity of Ames can normally safely be served on a Tuesday night by that number of officers. And if everything goes to **** they can always call in Story County, ISP, Boone Co, etc on a mutual assist call.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron