Official venting frustration thread

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I honestly would be full court pressing teams and/or try running teams out of the gym like Grinnell or whoever does that. What do we have to lose? Nothing. We are not going to be favored much here on out, might as well try something different.

We tried that today with a 1-2-2. It was awful.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
We have a coach that came to cash a check rather than put in the extra effort needed to field a competitive basketball team. McD obviously has coaching ability but I have strongly questioned his will work to win at ISU.
Putting the coaching debate aside, that's a pretty bold and derogatory statement to make about an individual that you don't know personally. Essentially you're saying he was okay with closing the book on his coaching career, if it came to that, as long as he made enough money to retire comfortably. The man's livelihood, reputation, and legacy are on the line here.

It may not work out for McDermott and Iowa State (it's getting harder and harder to hold out hope), but I will never question the man's desire to succeed and do great things at Iowa State. I'm not sure how you could listen to 4 years of interviews and believe otherwise. He seems to be a good guy who does his best to mold his players into good men (see: Mike Taylor, Chris Colvin).

It's completely fair to hate the results. It's another thing to accuse a man with a sterling reputation of cashing a check. And if you tell me that you enjoyed several adult beverages while watching the game today, then headed to the boards in frustration, I'd understand. :wink:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
You're funny. Northwestern and UNI crappy schools. Cyclones need to stop deluding themselves that somehow they deserve to be in some upper echelon of college BB each year. Like they should be beating Duke each year. Or even coming close. That is fantasy.

You had a couple good runs with corrupt coaches several years back. Somehow, you think that should be status quo. You guys have a lot of therapy to go through. Reality can still be yours if you work at it.

And just who the **** are you?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You know how Boozer mentioned in the postgame that anyone in CBB can beat anyone else on a given day? That's exactly how it works.

This is just like Cornell hanging with Kansas the other night. No way it should ever happen, but there it was.

If you were NDSU, this was your ideal spot to make the shot at a win they made today. Classic trap game position----right between Duke and Texas.
Shorthanded Cyclones---injuries, suspensions, evictions, what not.
Emotionally a tough time for the team, with all that's gone on.

They had everything lined up for them, and to their credit, they nearly pulled it off. To our guys credit (and especially Charles Boozer), they didn't.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
You know how Boozer mentioned in the postgame that anyone in CBB can beat anyone else on a given day? That's exactly how it works.

This is just like Cornell hanging with Kansas the other night. No way it should ever happen, but there it was.

If you were NDSU, this was your ideal spot to make the shot at a win they made today. Classic trap game position----right between Duke and Texas.

They had everything lined up for them, and to their credit, they nearly pulled it off. To our guys credit (and especially Charles Boozer), they didn't.

Good post.

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
Putting the coaching debate aside, that's a pretty bold and derogatory statement to make about an individual that you don't know personally. Essentially you're saying he was okay with closing the book on his coaching career, if it came to that, as long as he made enough money to retire comfortably. The man's livelihood, reputation, and legacy are on the line here.

It may not work out for McDermott and Iowa State (it's getting harder and harder to hold out hope), but I will never question the man's desire to succeed and do great things at Iowa State. I'm not sure how you could listen to 4 years of interviews and believe otherwise. He seems to be a good guy who does his best to mold his players into good men (see: Mike Taylor, Chris Colvin).

It's completely fair to hate the results. It's another thing to accuse a man with a sterling reputation of cashing a check. And if you tell me that you enjoyed several adult beverages while watching the game today, then headed to the boards in frustration, I'd understand. :wink:

I've never questioned his morals. He gets an A in that category. Unfortunately for him, you don't make $750k for simply being a good role model.

I respect your argument but I feel his will to win and/or work ethic can be questioned at this point.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I've never questioned his morals. He gets an A in that category. Unfortunately for him, you don't make $750k for simply being a good role model.

I respect your argument but I feel his will to win and/or work ethic can be questioned at this point.
And I may have misunderstood what you meant by "cashing a check", which is my fault. To me, cashing a check insinuates that you're taking the pay but not putting forth an honest effort. If you're not putting forth an honest effort, you're cheating your team, your school, and your fans. That's a moral issue, in my mind.

I'm no longer going out of my way to defend Mac's coaching ability. The debate as to whether or not he'll turn this thing around is fair game at this point. I'm pulling like hell for him, but this is the make-or-break season for 95% of the fanbase, as it should be. But it's a fine line between criticizing the coach and criticizing the man, and I think the man still deserves our respect.

Reactions: Final42b

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
And I may have misunderstood what you meant by "cashing a check", which is my fault. To me, cashing a check insinuates that you're taking the pay but not putting forth an honest effort. If you're not putting forth an honest effort, you're cheating your team, your school, and your fans. That's a moral issue, in my mind.

I'm no longer going out of my way to defend Mac's coaching ability. The debate as to whether or not he'll turn this thing around is fair game at this point. I'm pulling like hell for him, but this is the make-or-break season for 95% of the fanbase, as it should be. But it's a fine line between criticizing the coach and criticizing the man, and I think the man still deserves our respect.

thats a good point

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The difference is, Kansas losing to cornell would have been a fluke in the schedule so far for KU. Losing to NDSU would just be another part of the overall trend we've been feeling with this season.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I just never dreamed this team would be heading into conference with 8
guys on schollie. Hamilton is the only guy we can hope for in the near future
and he has a head injury.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The difference is, Kansas losing to cornell would have been a fluke in the schedule so far for KU. Losing to NDSU would just be another part of the overall trend we've been feeling with this season.

Some of these guys don't even need games to feel a trend. They go into the "We're Cyclones, woe is us" junk before anyone even has a chance.

I don't think this team has shown that NDSU would be part of a pattern.

pujolsman

Mar 3, 2008
McDermott needs to make this team be tough. I'm tired of him saying "they played tougher than us." That's his ******* job and he needs to figure it out. There's no excuse that this team shouldn't make the tourney.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

That is usually only true when the underdog is fundamentally sound and plays with intensity and determination. These things do not describe ISU MBB right now.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Some of these guys don't even need games to feel a trend. They go into the "We're Cyclones, woe is us" junk before anyone even has a chance.

I don't think this team has shown that NDSU would be part of a pattern.

True, but there are those that do the opposite too, making like everything is rosy just because we've beat some no-name team.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The MVC is a weak *** conference, hell southern Illinois was really your only competition and now they suck. UNI plays together better than we do and is coached better, but not up to the caliber of teams that we face in the Big Twelve week in and week out and probably never will be. At least you will win your conference and go to the tourney. Not a drama queen here, but **** our team does not even try anymore. So why do you care about the Cyclones? and calling some people out?

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Coach MacD lost me when he had to have a team meeting in order to ask the players what their feelings were. But whatever, I am just a hater. Then Colvin walks out of a post game meeting. Pretty clear indication that MacD does not have the respect of his players. Why is that?????????

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Come on people, it was the Christmas layoff, McD is a damn awesome coach. I have been told this now for ....how long???

My wife is absolutely furious over this "close" win, It was way to close and is now agreeing McD is not suited for Division 1 coaching. We still have the womens tickets and will go to those games.

Now ISU plays my Alma Matar......I will personally pray that ISU shows up and gives Texas a run

I will ask again...What will it take to get McD out of Ames? I believe for what he has done there should be no buyout except for a ticket out of Ames to where he wants to go....ONE WAY

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Come on people, it was the Christmas layoff, McD is a damn awesome coach. I have been told this now for ....how long???

My wife is absolutely furious over this "close" win, It was way to close and is now agreeing McD is not suited for Division 1 coaching. We still have the womens tickets and will go to those games.

Now ISU plays my Alma Matar......I will personally pray that ISU shows up and gives Texas a run

I will ask again...What will it take to get McD out of Ames? I believe for what he has done there should be no buyout except for a ticket out of Ames to where he wants to go....ONE WAY

Tell your wife to settle down. That usually works for me:jimlad: