Oklahoma Sooners @ Kansas We Don't Boo

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
It was better for ISU to have Kansas win, and I knew that, but dammit if I wasn't rooting for OU in the end. I tried pulling for KU and just couldn't do it. I'm sure it's partly because I hate Kansas, but I think it's mostly because OU is just really fun to watch and Hield seems like a really good guy.

Agree. I don't think I've ever felt so bad after a team , that WASN'T named Iowa State, lost a game , as I did after that one. Felt OU just plain deserved to win it. Thought I could just sit back and watch and enjoy, but found myself cheering at the TV toward the end and bummed when OU didn't win it. As for us, we don't have anyone that could have stayed on Hield one-on-one like Mason did last night, yet he still got 46. If KU avoids injury or some unforeseen slump, I don't see anyone keeping them from another conference title. Want to buy in that we could knock them off, but OU is a great team that played a great game, and KU still found a way to win.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Wow!! What a game! Every time it looked like one team might get a lead and hold it the other team responded. Hield made a good decision to come back because he has improved and is playing his way into the first round.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Agree. I don't think I've ever felt so bad after a team , that WASN'T named Iowa State, lost a game , as I did after that one. Felt OU just plain deserved to win it. Thought I could just sit back and watch and enjoy, but found myself cheering at the TV toward the end and bummed when OU didn't win it. As for us, we don't have anyone that could have stayed on Hield one-on-one like Mason did last night, yet he still got 46. If KU avoids injury or some unforeseen slump, I don't see anyone keeping them from another conference title. Want to buy in that we could knock them off, but OU is a great team that played a great game, and KU still found a way to win.

OU played a great game, but with better shot selection and less turnovers, that game doesn't go into overtime. We may not have A guy that could stay on Hield like Mason did last night, but as a team, we held him to half that.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
OU played a great game, but with better shot selection and less turnovers, that game doesn't go into overtime. We may not have A guy that could stay on Hield like Mason did last night, but as a team, we held him to half that.
They also had to guard him for 15 more minutes than we did.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
one of the most fair officiated games I have seen at AFH. Yes, there were missed calls, bad calls and questionable calls. And all of those calls where spread throughout the game and evenly distributed to the teams.

Great game to watch, one of the best I can remember in 10-15 years.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He's better at some things than Greene and worse at others. Still kinda a mess on defense and gets a little loose with the ball. Doesn't rebound as well as Greene. But he's way better than most back end of the bench guys. Getting lots of practice against good players so should be ready if his number gets called next year (if he's still here).

Greene is kinda a mess on defense? Self really couldn't even play him because he's so bad. He got his ankles broken on a mediocre crossover and went flying.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Does anyone else think the sideline at Allen Fieldhouse is ridiculously skinny? Heild was standing as far back as he could to throw the ball in and the defender was basically touching him. There is about two feet at most between the sideline and the table.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Thought there were a few misses by the refs but overall not too bad.

I honestly thought the officials did a horrible job, but it went both ways and I dont think either team had an advantage. Hollywood Higgins is gonna Higgins.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
OU is the best team in the Big 12. They were just gassed because it was only two days after they played the 2nd best team in the conference.
I still think our Cyclones will be the best team in the conference at the end of the year. We have a new coach. He's still tinkering with the rotations and we still went into Norman and nearly pulled it out.

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
Does anyone else think the sideline at Allen Fieldhouse is ridiculously skinny? Heild was standing as far back as he could to throw the ball in and the defender was basically touching him. There is about two feet at most between the sideline and the table.
Have you seen Florida's? It's less than a foot wide.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Multitasking. Does your browser not do multiple tabs?
Nope. Still using MS-DOS here.

Why would I? I am on record as having no problem with booing. And for the record, this game eliminates "KU gets all the home cooking" gripes as a complaint for anyone, EVER. Ridiculous.

What a fantastic game. Great showcase for the Big 12 and I see no reason to drop OU from #2 in the country after that performance.
You may be on record as having no problem with booing. You are also on the record stating that Kansas fans don't boo.

Anyway, great game last night. Assuming things go as expected in the Big 12 tourney, the nine games between these 3 teams should be a real treat. A lot would have to fall correctly but it could even be 12 games this year. These 3 teams are pretty special.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm not sure that Vitale was correct when talking about the job that KU was doing on Hield last night. Just because the defender stuck with him for a couple of times late in the game when Hield was obviously gassed and barely moving without the ball doesn't mean that the defender stayed with him. Thomas didn't do too bad of a job on Hield.

Also, I have to agree about watching the game. I thought I could just sit back and enjoy but found myself rooting for OU every time they came back.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I'm not sure that Vitale was correct when talking about the job that KU was doing on Hield last night. Just because the defender stuck with him for a couple of times late in the game when Hield was obviously gassed and barely moving without the ball doesn't mean that the defender stayed with him. Thomas didn't do too bad of a job on Hield.

Also, I have to agree about watching the game. I thought I could just sit back and enjoy but found myself rooting for OU every time they came back.
It seemed Frank Mason was able to stay on Hield a little tighter than Thomas, but I agree that Thomas didn't do a bad job at all on Hield. Our defensive scheme on Hield was different from KU's where we had Thomas guard Hield tight on the perimeter and had help defense come in if Hield had Thomas beat to the hoop. Buddy Hield is one of the toughest guys I have ever seen to defend.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I started watching halfway though second half. Spangler wasn't even setting good screens, made sticking to heild a little easier, IMO.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
It seemed Frank Mason was able to stay on Hield a little tighter than Thomas, but I agree that Thomas didn't do a bad job at all on Hield. Our defensive scheme on Hield was different from KU's where we had Thomas guard Hield tight on the perimeter and had help defense come in if Hield had Thomas beat to the hoop. Buddy Hield is one of the toughest guys I have ever seen to defend.
I agree fully with your post.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I'm trying to think, but he may be the best offensive player I can remember in the conference since Mitch Richmond?