Olde Main closing

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think the question is why they didn’t fully shut them down. This is a death sentence for a basically dead business. Why leave it partially open.

I'm not sure they can "shut them down", but they can stop their licenses and essentially shut them down.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
But he seems like such a good guy

I was surprised to find a statement like this in a government regulation:

"failed to maintain the requisite good moral character required to hold an alcohol license."

No wonder so few politicians own bars! ;)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm not sure they can "shut them down", but they can stop their licenses and essentially shut them down.

So, who bears the liability today for the things supposed to be covered by the dram shop insurance? Surely, they would have to get that in place to stay open.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So, who bears the liability today for the things supposed to be covered by the dram shop insurance? Surely, they would have to get that in place to stay open.

I'm no Attorney but I would think if they didn't have proper Dram Shop Insurance coverage and something happened the business (maybe the owners depending on how the business is set up) would be liable.

But since they technically can't sell or serve alcohol there is no reason to have the Dram Shop Insurance now lol.

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
They'll suddenly be "re-opened" with new ownership by someone not too far away in the family tree.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm no Attorney but I would think if they didn't have proper Dram Shop Insurance coverage and something happened the business (maybe the owners depending on how the business is set up) would be liable.

But since they technically can't sell or serve alcohol there is no reason to have the Dram Shop Insurance now lol.

The lack of dram shop insurance goes back a ways. And the suspension doesn't take effect until May 13th. I would think the city may bear some risk of liability if something happened in the next two weeks if they don't insist on the owners showing some proof of insurance.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The lack of dram shop insurance goes back a ways. And the suspension doesn't take effect until May 13th. I would think the city may bear some risk of liability if something happened in the next two weeks if they don't insist on the owners showing some proof of insurance.

I'd think the State and not the City, but ultimately if something were to happen a good lawyer is going to sure everyone who was involved or had knowledge. The Dram Shop Insurance is a State requirement, not a City requirement.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Cycsk

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I'd think the State and not the City, but ultimately if something were to happen a good lawyer is going to sure everyone who was involved or had knowledge. The Dram Shop Insurance is a State requirement, not a City requirement.

Does that include all of us since we have read about it? *jimlad*

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I knew something was up about a year ago when I had to make a trip to the Sheriff's office. I always read the foreclosure notices just for fun and saw DG's/Corner Pocket on the list with First National Bank holding the mortgage. Seems like he owed them around $400k at the time. (at least on that building)

I had heard that he was spinning it as a legal maneuver as part of a divorce but that certainly doesn't explain not paying your taxes. There's no escaping them. I've also heard his family has a fair amount of money and has bailed him out more than once. Won't be any bailing out on this one, but he should have some equity in the properties.

The Olde Main location is a tough one simply because of it's size. It's incredibly poorly designed for a restaurant with the kitchen being WAY too far away from the seating area. Inefficient as hell. I think it would be a tough go in it's current configuration.

As for Corner Pocket, it's a good bar with a decent crowd of regulars but I'm not sure those pool tables are worth the space they're taking. Probably would be better to put the music downstairs as musicians hate dragging their crap up those narrow stairs.

• Disagree
Reactions: STLISU

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was always angry that I was done at ISU before Olde Main really was much of a thing. I enjoyed going there over the years though. A friend of mine had their beer at his wedding in 2009 or 2010 and it was a smashing hit.

The last time we went there, probably in 2014 or 2015, I was quite disappointed with the food, service, and beer in that order. Funny enough, the food was slightly better than when I was previously though.

RIP

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Their beer was (especially 10 years ago) fine as introductory craft beer. Dinkey was a tasty Blue Moon replacement, and their stouts were usually solid. I remember enjoying Clone too, before I got more turned onto better pales.

But as the craft beer taste changed, they stuck it out with no change, no innovation, and the inability to ever make a good hoppy beer. It became obvious that by the early 2010s, they'd pretty much quit trying in regards to keeping up with the evolution of craft beer, or improving that product in any way. It appeared much more like a gimmicky sidebar to the restaurant, as opposed to the focus of what they did.