Olympic Wrestling

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Do huge wrestling fans enjoy this style or what you see in college?
I love freestyle but calls are more subjective and leave room for uneasy feeling wondering who was actually the better wrestler. Even the brightest wrestling minds can’t agree how it should’ve been scored at times. Harder to follow I think but I love watching. Folkstyle is better product

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
125 kg
Hayden Zillmer def. Dom Bradley, 5-0
Nick Gwiazdowski def. Greg Kerkvliet, 5-1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
"Ducking" was probably a harsh word. @crablegs says it better. They both probably realized they more than likely aren't going to make the team even when healthy. Just got off a long grinding season. A little bit of fatigue probably set in. Throw in an injury and guessing it was pretty easy to drop out.
If I’m not mistaken, the top 3 make the team and workout at the OTC. If you have any shot, it is a huge opportunity.

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
Do huge wrestling fans enjoy this style or what you see in college?
Freestyle/Greco is a great change of pace after the long folk style season. Go watch a 16U/Junior meet in Iowa & you will be hooked. Lots of great wrestling without all the parent screaming that normally happens in a gym tournament .

Reactions: iastatefan1

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Freestyle/Greco is a great change of pace after the long folk style season. Go watch a 16U/Junior meet in Iowa & you will be hooked. Lots of great wrestling without all the parent screaming that normally happens in a gym tournament .
I wrestled all three and loved them all (never at a high level). But freestyle was my favorite due to the more casual but high level atmosphere. Greco-Roman is kinda lame even though I was best at that style. Folks tyle has that intensity and team aspect to it. As a fan only care about freestyle and folkstyle now.

Reactions: Stevetasker

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
65 kg
Nick Lee def. Andrew Alirez, 11-9
Zain Retherford def. Jesse Mendez, 3-2

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Nobody wants to see Nick Lee be our rep. He won’t come close to placing if he could even qualify
Unfortunately no one will at 65 kg will.

Was hoping for either Alirez or Mendez just to get a young guy some experience. Doubtful we even qualify the weight with Zain or Lee

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Still to come...

86 kg - Challenge Semifinals
Aaron Brooks vs. Alex Dieringer
Chance Marsteller vs. Zahid Valencia

74 kg - Challenge Final (winner vs. Kyle Dake tomorrow)
Jordan Burroughs vs. Jason Nolf

97 kg - Challenge Final (winner vs. Kyle Snyder tomorrow)
Kollin Moore vs. Isaac Trumble

125 kg - Challenge Final (winner vs. Mason Parris tomorrow)
Hayden Zillmer vs. Nick Gwiazdowski

86 kg - Challenge Final (winner vs. David Taylor tomorrow)
TBD

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
86 kg
Aaron Brooks def. Alex Dieringer, 8-4
Zahid Valencia def. Chance Marsteller, 3-0

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I noticed the challenge Final winner vs. X.
Are many challenge final wrestlers previously enjoyed the “X” position at the king of the hill.

p.s. … thank you for the updates and background speak. Tremendously interesting. (Great carry-over from Cyclone season)