On to Football Season

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
better Iowa teams than this one lost to ISU.

Generally speaking, there are only two constants in relation to the ISU/Iowa game

1) if the game is a blowout, ISU is almost always on the losing end
2) in seasons where ISU has lost the Iowa game, their record is usually pretty awful

other than that, it's hard to draw any conclusions from or make predictions about the Iowa-ISU game

I think the Iowa/ISU game result has much more of a negative forecast for Iowa, good Iowa teams have lost to bad ISU teams, I don't think you can say the opposite. Maybe because there haven't been many good ISU teams :twitcy:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Counting on lakes to take his trolling to HN. Please don't let him battle our Hawk trolls here. Go Bisons.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Our line was putrid last year. They can't get much worse

well actually, it was a pretty good run blocking o-line. But still, ISU won 3 games last year so even if I grant you that the line will play similar to last year, how would you get 5 wins as a low?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
better Iowa teams than this one lost to ISU.

Generally speaking, there are only two constants in relation to the ISU/Iowa game

1) if the game is a blowout, ISU is almost always on the losing end
2) in seasons where ISU has lost the Iowa game, their record is usually pretty awful

other than that, it's hard to draw any conclusions from or make predictions about the Iowa-ISU game

I agree with you on Number 1 and 2, but will add a third as well. In year's where Iowa has lost the ISU game, Iowa has not been very good and have been fighting to make a bowl game. Four times they have had losing records, one .500 record, and the other four 7 win seasons.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I forgot I was talking to a Big 12 team that doesn't care about defense. My bad.

Judging by bowl season, b1G teams don't care much about defense either. Once the mighty defenses of teams like Ohio st, Iowa and Michigan St stopped playing horrible offenses they got exposed, maybe you didn't pay attention. You must also not have watched much b1g regular season football, the ONE team that plays a big 12 style offense made those same defenses look exactly like big 12 defenses.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I agree with you on Number 1 and 2, but will add a third as well. In year's where Iowa has lost the ISU game, Iowa has not been very good and have been fighting to make a bowl game. Four times they have had losing records, one .500 record, and the other four 7 win seasons.

did you forget 2002(11 wins)? or 2005 (8 wins)? Even the 2001 team wasn't too bad (nor were they fighting for a bowl game considering they were bowl eligible when the game was played)

but yes, the 98-00 games skew things a bit to making you think that I suppose.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I see 5 or 6 winnable games. Which could mean going anywhere from 3-9 to 7-5

I'd guess lower, but I might be trying to set my expectations lower.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
well actually, it was a pretty good run blocking o-line. But still, ISU won 3 games last year so even if I grant you that the line will play similar to last year, how would you get 5 wins as a low?

Well, we had to have 2 major collapses and a missed chip shot FG to lose 3 of those games. I'd say coaching will give us at least 2 more games this year and if we can somehow find an average Oline, we should be going to a bowl game. That said, we have no idea if on field coaching will actually yield those results.

I also think Iowa is in for one of those let down seasons but time will tell.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
did you forget 2002(11 wins)? or 2005 (8 wins)? Even the 2001 team wasn't too bad (nor were they fighting for a bowl game considering they were bowl eligible when the game was played)

but yes, the 98-00 games skew things a bit to making you think that I suppose.

2002 doesn't count since when the teams played they were both really good and I believe ISU may have been the favorite for that game. Obviously by seasons end Iowa was playing much better and ISU much worse. 2005's team went 7-5 so I wouldn't count them as a great team. 2001 game was played between two equal teams imo. In the other year's where ISU beat Iowa, Iowa has not been very good and I feel the same will hold true this year if that happens.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
I predict the following for Iowa:

1. Win 8-9 games
2. Go to a decent bowl
3. Get **** stomped by a decent team

I predict the following for Iowa fans:

1. Repeatedly reminding everyone in the office how great the team is regardless of the level of competition
2. More belly tattoos
3. Vigorous 8th grade reading level forum discussions on firing Ferentz after they get **** stomped in their bowl game

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
2002 doesn't count since when the teams played they were both really good and I believe ISU may have been the favorite for that game. Obviously by seasons end Iowa was playing much better and ISU much worse. 2005's team went 7-5 so I wouldn't count them as a great team. 2001 game was played between two equal teams imo. In the other year's where ISU beat Iowa, Iowa has not been very good and I feel the same will hold true this year if that happens.

How the **** does 2002 not count? And I am rather confident ISU was not favored to beat Iowa in 2002. Even if ISU was favored, I'm rolling at how 2002 does not count.

Troll on.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Were you even born before 2002? You have a 14 year old's mentality.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I predict the following for ISU:

1. Win 1 to 3 games
2. Don't go to a bowl
3. Look forward to March

I predict the following for ISU fans:

1) Repeatedly remind everyone about how great their schedule is and that is why they suck.
2) More pollard worshipping
3) Vigorous 5th grade reading level forum discussions on keeping Campbell cause he is always grinding and trying to win his Sixth National Championship.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa always does really well when expectations are high. Anytime a 10 win season is predicted by Jon Miller or the Hawkeye faithful you can expect an 8 win season at most with a fan base wanting Ferentz fired at the end of the season