only one reason we are not as good as we thought...

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
wow he can pass the ball. how does he rank with scoring. teams dont have to guard him because he wont make baskets.

IMO, this is one of the great problems with this team. Against NDSU, DG's defender was sliding down into the lane to provide double team defense on Brackins. Why? Because he is not a consistent threat outside ten feet. Furthermore, NDSU was giving him the space to drive knowing that his defender could leave the post defense of Brackins and contest the drive or layup. This is not specific to NDSU and has happened against other opponents.

His defense against dribble penetration is not good, but he joins most of the team in this regard.

tjk4isu

Apr 10, 2006
DG's assist to turnover ratio is good but it is also misleading. In contrast to Colvin, DG tends to make the low-risk passes to the wings. They either make the shot or don't. If they make it, DG gets an assist.

On the other hand, Colvin is making the high-risk, high reward passes. He's hitting the guys who are cutting to the basket. This results in either a layup, a foul or a turnover. Only one of these three outcomes results in an assist for Colvin.

Even though DG's assist to turnover ratio is better, I maintain that ISU's offense is no worse off under Colvin's leadership.

Agree 100%. I think Colvin is able to put more pressure on the opposing guards when he is playing defense as well.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Records are roughly the same. 4 losses this year and last.

2009/10 losses to Northwestern, UNI*, Cal, Duke.
2008/09 losses to Hawaii, Iowa, Drake*, South Dakota State*. (beat UNI in OT)

(* homes losses)

Not top 25 on the schedule last year. Duke is and I thought Cal was too.

Maybe we don't like what we see, but I think it's pretty clear that our record is better to this point (all things factored)

GoShow is right, the Big XII is going to tell us alot. I don't think there's much arguement about the non-cons from last year to this. None of us is going to argue that the Big XII is a step up from last year as well.

"Hopeful", might be the best term to use here.....?

Next year will be Year One again.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
I think the main thing that has changed is chemistry.

This team hasn't "clicked" yet.

Whether that would lead to, or is because of, Craig's attitude, or confidence or any of the myriad other things that go with chemistry, I can't tell from my perspective. I think you'd have to be inside the team to have that kind of information.

I think you are right. There is something wrong which is preventing this group of young men from playing together like a team.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
What I find really funny is that we get dominated on the boards by NDSU, a team with no where near the athletes we have down low, but people think guard play is the problem? Craig's rebounding numbers have dropped by two a game, but the guard play is the problem?

Rebounding is a by-product of team hustle, effort, and chemistry. Those are the things missing.

Lucca's 41% from 3 and DG's 2.5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio are not the problem.