OU PG Bijan Cortes Taking A Leave Of Absence

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's interesting on how you guys focus so hard on the dance. I'm kind of the opposite (in more ways than one).

How the season plays out is more important to me than the NCAA tournament, which for me is just dressing on the season's cake. I want my team to finish on top the B12 or as near as possible, and get a high, or is it low, seed.

The B12 tournament is meaningless, actually. But "the dance" is just fun, one and done, all about luck of the draw, and mostly guard play. Yes, all that but not as critical as that next conference game and how the team finishes in the B12.

I'm sure this will generate some dumbs, but I don't care. It's how I feel. I love league play. The dance is just entertaining.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's interesting on how you guys focus so hard on the dance. I'm kind of the opposite (in more ways than one).

How the season plays out is more important to me than the NCAA tournament, which for me is just dressing on the season's cake. I want my team to finish on top the B12 or as near as possible, and get a high, or is it low, seed.

The B12 tournament is meaningless, actually. But "the dance" is just fun, one and done, all about luck of the draw, and mostly guard play. Yes, all that but not as critical as that next conference game and how the team finishes in the B12.

I'm sure this will generate some dumbs, but I don't care. It's how I feel. I love league play. The dance is just entertaining.
The NCAA tournament is literally the only way you can win the National Championship.. Not caring about the NCAA tournament is a ridiculous statement. Lol do you think Kansas cares more about the Big 12 Championship they won last year or their National Championship?

Also conference tournaments are actually pretty important for seeding purposes and bubble teams.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

To be fair, we focus hard on all of it. Just because we all look forward to the dance doesn't mean we don't focus on the conference race and then the Big 12 Tourney. We focus on all of it because we are, as the top of the page says, fanatics.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

That's because you guys have actually won league titles recently. Those of us like me who actually care about the regular season and want ISU to win a Big 12 title for once in 22 years are usually shut down pretty quickly with the typical excuses.

"Team was suppose to finish 8th anyways"
"Team sucked 2 years ago so 9-9 is a miracle"
"Team is least talented in Big 12"
"Team with an NBA all-star point guard was flawed"
"Hoiball doesn't emphasize defense enough"
"Tough to win on the road at 0-9 teams"
"Our backup center plays too much"

Excuse after excuse after excuse why 12-6 is the ceiling since Eustachy left.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's because you guys have actually won league titles recently. Those of us like me who actually care about the regular season and want ISU to win a Big 12 title for once in 22 years are usually shut down pretty quickly with the typical excuses.

"Team was suppose to finish 8th anyways"
"Team sucked 2 years ago so 9-9 is a miracle"
"Team is least talented in Big 12"
"Team with an NBA all-star point guard was flawed"
"Hoiball doesn't emphasize defense enough"
"Tough to win on the road at 0-9 teams"
"Our backup center plays too much"

Excuse after excuse after excuse why 12-6 is the ceiling since Eustachy left.

I thought you weren't going to comment on ISU basketball any more.

You forgot one: 'ISU wasn't good enough to win the conference because they couldn't sustain things enough...and that's why they didn't. The team that did win the conference, was good enough and sustainable'.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

So if KSU makes a run or gets to the FF or Championship game...doesn't matter?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I thought you weren't going to comment on ISU basketball any more.

You forgot one: 'ISU wasn't good enough to win the conference because they couldn't sustain things enough...and that's why they didn't. The team that did win the conference, was good enough and sustainable'.
These are all just coping mechanisms on why we haven't won in 22 years.

Our football program just won a Big 12 title in 2020 ffs and your telling me in 22 years the basketball program can't?

It's not like we've sucked either, we've been a really solid program the last 2 decades minus the McDermott experience.

Also, a Big 12 title means a higher Ncaa seed and an easier path in the tournament so I'm not sure why everyone wouldn't want that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Our football program just won a Big 12 title in 2020 ffs and your telling me in 22 years the basketball program can't?

It's not like we've sucked either, we've been a really solid program the last 2 decades minus the McDermott experience.

Yes I'm telling you that the basketball program hasn't won a conference title in 22 years.

Because it hasn't.

It didn't happen. Because they weren't good enough to do it. If they were, they would have. That's not coping. That actually is what happened.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019

Also, a Big 12 title means a higher Ncaa seed and an easier path in the tournament so I'm not sure why everyone wouldn't want that.
So, after we're out of contention for the regular season title we should all post that we're done with ISU basketball.

I'm sure if we won the regular season title and lost our first round NCAA tourney game, there'd be a lot of angry posting about "How could we be good enough to win a regular season championship but lose to Hampton in the first round".

Assuming you were around for the 2001 season. Was that so much better than 2014 or 2016? I don't think so.

This is entertainment and there's something about the win and advance, when other teams are going home, part of the tourney that's more fun than the regular season.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So, after we're out of contention for the regular season title we should all become like you and post that we're done with ISU basketball.

I'm sure if we won the regular season title and lost our first round NCAA tourney game, you'd be the first person angry posting about "How could we be good enough to win a regular season championship but lose to Hampton in the first round".

Assuming you were around for the 2001 season. Was that so much better than 2014 or 2016? I don't think so.

This is entertainment and there's something about the win and advance, when other teams are going home, part of the tourney that's more fun than the regular season.

KU's about the only program I can guess was the conference winner most years but otherwise I couldn't name the winner for about any conference over the last several years and there's a reason for that.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Thats a fair opinion and I can see what you are coming from. In the heat of the moment, I want them to win every game. I also don't like "preparing" for tournament play by resting guys. But, if regular season success doesn't come, it always helps alleviate some disappointment to think how it might help down the road, though.

For me personally, almost all of my long term memories are NCAA tournament or Big 12 tournament success. Even in our Big 12 title years, I remember some individual games in the regular season, but I mainly remember post season success or failure. I'd say its that way for a majority of people.

Reactions: surly

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Yes.

I don't think the problems are happening any more frequently, just that athletes are feeling more empowered to make the tough decision to step away for a time.
That's because old school would have been to tell nobody for fear of them thinking you're weak (or worse). And if you did talk to coach, good chance he tells you you're weak and you need to play through it or 'man up.'

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Yeah, I remember 2001. To me it was about equal with the 2016 team. The 2016 team fell short of expectations during the regular season then lost right away in KC. After that they best two mid-major teams and weren't even competitive against Virginia.

I think that's about equal to winning a Big 12 title then losing to Hampton, at least that's my satisfaction level after you take the entire season into account.

If I had to choose I'd rather go further in the Ncaa but I'm about 55-45 on which matters more where I feel like most people on this site are about 80-20 in favor of making a deeper rub.

I guess it's personal preference, I just enjoy basketball all season long where as others don't really care or even start watching until March Madness. One weekend beating a couple mid majors for me doesn't make up for the entire 4 months before that.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011

You ARE female, aren't you? ;-)

• Optimistic
Reactions: cstrunk and JP4CY