OU PG Bijan Cortes Taking A Leave Of Absence

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah, I remember 2001. To me it was about equal with the 2016 team. The 2016 team fell short of expectations during the regular season then lost right away in KC. After that they best two mid-major teams and weren't even competitive against Virginia.

I think that's about equal to winning a Big 12 title then losing to Hampton, at least that's my satisfaction level after you take the entire season into account.

If I had to choose I'd rather go further in the Ncaa but I'm about 55-45 on which matters more where I feel like most people on this site are about 80-20 in favor of making a deeper rub.

I guess it's personal preference, I just enjoy basketball all season long where as others don't really care or even start watching until March Madness. One weekend beating a couple mid majors for me doesn't make up for the entire 4 months before that.
After losing to Hampton it felt like a season of failure. And for years you got reminded of losing to a 15 seed

Mar 21, 2021
Things are a bit different these days in college BB. The pressure to win is greater than ever. The players are literally under a microscope. The TV viewer can study your every pore, your every mistake, your questionable haircut, that big missed free throw, over and over and over.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It's interesting on how you guys focus so hard on the dance. I'm kind of the opposite (in more ways than one).

How the season plays out is more important to me than the NCAA tournament, which for me is just dressing on the season's cake. I want my team to finish on top the B12 or as near as possible, and get a high, or is it low, seed.

The B12 tournament is meaningless, actually. But "the dance" is just fun, one and done, all about luck of the draw, and mostly guard play. Yes, all that but not as critical as that next conference game and how the team finishes in the B12.

I'm sure this will generate some dumbs, but I don't care. It's how I feel. I love league play. The dance is just entertaining.

To each their own

Last edited:
Reactions: surly

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
It's interesting on how you guys focus so hard on the dance. I'm kind of the opposite (in more ways than one).

How the season plays out is more important to me than the NCAA tournament, which for me is just dressing on the season's cake. I want my team to finish on top the B12 or as near as possible, and get a high, or is it low, seed.

The B12 tournament is meaningless, actually. But "the dance" is just fun, one and done, all about luck of the draw, and mostly guard play. Yes, all that but not as critical as that next conference game and how the team finishes in the B12.

I'm sure this will generate some dumbs, but I don't care. It's how I feel. I love league play. The dance is just entertaining.

I just have a hard time agreeing with this. To me, it's kind of a combination. You win the regular season title, it's awesome, but if you lose in the first round of the NCAA it is somewhat tarnished. If you end up 5th and make the Sweet 16, it was a great season. Personally, if ISU isn't going to win the conference, I don't care if they end up 2nd or 6th as long as they do well in the big dance. No one remembers conference standings if you don't win...they remember what you do in the big tournament.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Spoken like someone who is a fan of a team that got to play the only 16 seed to advance to the 2nd round ever....

To me the regular season is about winning your conference. Not conference tournament, but rather finishing top of the standings. Once that's out the window like it has been fairly early on every year for ISU since 2001, it's all about the big tournament in March. 2nd place is for the biggest loser.

• Dumb
Reactions: surly

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That's because you guys have actually won league titles recently. Those of us like me who actually care about the regular season and want ISU to win a Big 12 title for once in 22 years are usually shut down pretty quickly with the typical excuses.

"Team was suppose to finish 8th anyways"
"Team sucked 2 years ago so 9-9 is a miracle"
"Team is least talented in Big 12"
"Team with an NBA all-star point guard was flawed"
"Hoiball doesn't emphasize defense enough"
"Tough to win on the road at 0-9 teams"
"Our backup center plays too much"

Excuse after excuse after excuse why 12-6 is the ceiling since Eustachy left.
Big 12 championships since the turn of the century.
Iowa State 2
Kansas State 2 (both shared)

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
So @jereseib , are you saying winning regular season big 12 championships is more of a focus for ksu even though they have the same number as Iowa State?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So @jereseib , are you saying winning regular season big 12 championships is more of a focus for ksu even though they have the same number as Iowa State?
I dumbed your post because they had 2 titles just in the last decade with Bruce Weber of all coaches. We've went through 5 coaches and many great teams in the last 22 years and still only 12-6 and 11-7 type finishes.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You realize Kansas and K-State fans are really the only ones who care about league titles because they actually won them?

Let's say Iowa State won one with Hoiberg, then Prohm was able to win one with his 2019 NBA team, I guarantee you Iowa State fans would take the regular season more serious.

Every other fanbase in the league has similar excuses.

Iowa State "We have our Big 12 tourney titles and Sweet 16s".

Baylor" We have our sites set on national titles and Final 4s".

Texas Tech "Well, we went to the national title game with Beard".

TCU " We're just happy Dixon is here and getting us to the tourney on a regular basis".

Oklahoma " Buddy Hield got us to a Final Four"

Oklahoma State " We're just happy anyone shows up to games anymore"

West Virginia " We're just happy the Big 12 allows us to join the conference"

Texas "Vince Young took us to a national title game in football".

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Great. Now scuttle off and create a K-State Supremacist thread or something. You and Bob can have a hoot.. EMAW! EMAW! Darken this door no more.
Why would I do that? I don't care or know much at all about K-State basketball. I'm simply giving my opinion on why a K-State fan would be interested in Big 12 titles and we aren't.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
In a thread that purportedly has nothing to do with K-State fans, Big 12 Titles, etc.

Custom is to post about topics in a thread about that topic. Seems you've been around here long enough to understand that, so I will assume you are just trying to **** all over this thread.
I'm not the one who started it so go ahead and attack me for simply responding to other posts you've deemed off-topic.

• Dumb
Reactions: CloneLawman

Help Support Us

Become a patron