Pac-12 to decide whether to expand within a couple weeks

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
This is the likely outcome I see as well. Saying you are open to expansion is good press and makes the conference appear powerful/thoughtful. They don’t look bad when they say no at that point. The Big 12 will have to expand to survive and a hit to the athletics department is coming.
Now now, I thought we had a talk about beating your dead horse.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If the Pac moves to expand, they'll probably need to look at adding more than 4. I doubt the B1G will sit around and just watch it happen. Wouldn't be surprised if that move by the Pac is followed by a similar move by the B1G with USC, UCLA, Oregon, Wash.

What part of these people talking an alliance between conferences includes pillaging each other?

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Jesus no. The AAC or Mountain West would gladly take us before that. Absolute worst-case scenario of course. I think we'd become part of a "make the Mountain West Great Again" campaign along with TCU, Baylor, and BYU. Possibly Kansas.

So you’re saying that the pac would take 2 schools we have bigger followings than, and a mountain West team before they would take Iowa State?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
What part of these people talking an alliance between conferences includes pillaging each other?

I'd think the 'alliance' is a short-term middle finger to the SECESPN letting it know that it's not going to overtake anything. But when push comes to shove, there's no way the B1G is going to march in lockstep with the Pac/ACC level in terms of expansion. It's going to do what's best for the conference, and the simple fact is the B1G is operating from a much stronger position. If divvying up the remaining Big 12 schools isn't in the B1G's best interest, it's not going to happen.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
The nut cup move (that I am expecting to happen) is the Pac-12 saying that they aren’t going to expand. The B1G and ACC would likely follow suit.

The Athletic put out an article saying that the Pac 12, ACC and B1G are expected to have a formal announcement regarding a scheduling alliance, as soon as next week.

That could mean no expansion happens, which would put the rest of the B12 into a really tough spot.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'd think the 'alliance' is a short-term middle finger to the SECESPN letting it know that it's not going to overtake anything. But when push comes to shove, there's no way the B1G is going to march in lockstep with the Pac/ACC level in terms of expansion. It's going to do what's best for the conference, and the simple fact is the B1G is operating from a much stronger position. If divvying up the remaining Big 12 schools isn't in the B1G's best interest, it's not going to happen.

Doing that after the recent alliance discussions between the Big Ten, PAC 12 and ACC would be a more nefarious act than what OU, UT and the SEC just pulled off.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I love these threads, always at least 1 guy who has a take he is just 150% firm on and will double/triple/quadruple down on it. Never fails. The day UNLV gets an invite to a P5 conference will be the day there are no more P5 conferences.
And then you get somebody like in post #52 who shows up 3 pages in stating exactly what was said in the opening page of posts.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron