Pac-12 to decide whether to expand within a couple weeks

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Bowlsby said that OU and UT would be a 14 MM hit going forward for the conference teams. While your 50% is correct (to a point, but not how you use it), only 28 of the 40 MM is from TV contracts and bowlsby specifically said 50% of TV contracts. For this year, ISU has 40.4 as the number from the big XII. Last year (Covid year) we paid out 34.5MM. That was with less games (less money) no team in the CFP (so no bonus there) and even basketball was messed up. Remember Bowlsby says 14MM going forward. So that is 26.4 without any increases. If we get a team in the CFP, then that number goes up.

Here is a link to what Bowlsby said.

So the rest of the Big 12 teams will get 14M per year?:cool:

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Slight correction, per Hocutt’s quote it is President Wintersteen on the expansion committee, not Pollard. Don’t ask me what difference it makes. Also KU’s president is on it, but that makes sense because their AD is so green on the job.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Slight correction, per Hocutt’s quote it is President Wintersteen on the expansion committee, not Pollard. Don’t ask me what difference it makes. Also KU’s president is on it, but that makes sense because their AD is so green on the job.

Keep the presidents front and center while the ADs do the dirty work

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
Luck is the best sports business guy the big 12 could have hired. He was WVU's AD, graduated from UT's law school. Knows the Big 12 inside and out, plus he has had successful sports ventures outside of college football.

Luck was hired, IMHO, to best position the Big 8 going forward. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. The worst is the big 8 have no landing spot after 2025. Luck needs to make sure the big 8 adds 2-4 of the best teams it can add to get the maximum amount of streaming money.

I also think a big 12 with BYU, UCF, Cinn, and either houston or Memphis would get an auto invite to the 12 team playoff which will eventually pass.

Sure we all hope we end up in the ACC, BIG, and PAC, but we better be prepared if it doesnt happen.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Mac Engel: To avoid a funeral, Big 12 must add best of the rest starting with this school (msn.com)
"Adding Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati and Central Florida would make the Big 12 relevant, and give the league a chance for national relevancy.

It will give the Big 12 a chance to remain as a "power league" for as long as that moniker exists."
If Big 12 expands, would someone again remind why/why not Boise State? I don't get it. Wouldn't maybe Houston be better and more 'geographic'.

"College football will eventually consolidate to one or two leagues that will be comprised of only the power brands; ESPN executives will map out that paradigm with the "cooperation" of league commissioners and nervous college presidents whose job security will depend on being a part of that new world."
Do sensible people really believe this? One or two leagues comprised of only the power brands? Is this guy on acid or will that happen? College football is dead if that happens. [The article is from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, so I guess there's that, Texas]

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Right now we are in a pause about the future of college football, the powers that be are trying to figure out which way to go.

Do they go with 30 to 40 team super conference built around the SEC and Big 10, if they go down that path, they start with 30 teams, add ND, USC, Clemson, Florida St., Oregon and you are at 35 and still have Washington, NC, Stanford, UCLA and many other teams wanting those last 5 spots. No way if they chose this path are they going to take a every team in both the Big 10 and SEC. Way to many Rutgers, Maryland and Illinois get their way into the league, leaving out better teams.

The other path, the one I think they will chose is to bring all the conferences up to 16, adding the best of the rest to the current conferences and then breaking away from the NCAA.

If they go down the first path, they run the issue with leaving large blocks of the country not caring about college football because their team is not in the highest level.

I guess we will find out in the next 2 to 4 years. Which is fine.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Bowlsby said that OU and UT would be a 14 MM hit going forward for the conference teams. While your 50% is correct (to a point, but not how you use it), only 28 of the 40 MM is from TV contracts and bowlsby specifically said 50% of TV contracts. For this year, ISU has 40.4 as the number from the big XII. Last year (Covid year) we paid out 34.5MM. That was with less games (less money) no team in the CFP (so no bonus there) and even basketball was messed up. Remember Bowlsby says 14MM going forward. So that is 26.4 without any increases. If we get a team in the CFP, then that number goes up.

Here is a link to what Bowlsby said.

Don’t confuse him with what was actually said. It defeats the troll narrative

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Right now we are in a pause about the future of college football, the powers that be are trying to figure out which way to go.

Do they go with 30 to 40 team super conference built around the SEC and Big 10, if they go down that path, they start with 30 teams, add ND, USC, Clemson, Florida St., Oregon and you are at 35 and still have Washington, NC, Stanford, UCLA and many other teams wanting those last 5 spots. No way if they chose this path are they going to take a every team in both the Big 10 and SEC. Way to many Rutgers, Maryland and Illinois get their way into the league, leaving out better teams.

The other path, the one I think they will chose is to bring all the conferences up to 16, adding the best of the rest to the current conferences and then breaking away from the NCAA.

If they go down the first path, they run the issue with leaving large blocks of the country not caring about college football because their team is not in the highest level.

I don't know if it will be this media contract cycle or the next, but a new emphasis on streaming media at some point along the line means schools will all be paid for what they bring to the table. It won't matter if you are in the B1G or SEC, or a former AAC team playing in a reformed Big 12. You will have to show your worth. ISU can do well with a system like that. But until it arrives they will have to hold on to what they can of this old TV based system to keep themselves afloat.

Reactions: cyclones500

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Mac Engel: To avoid a funeral, Big 12 must add best of the rest starting with this school (msn.com)
"Adding Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati and Central Florida would make the Big 12 relevant, and give the league a chance for national relevancy.

It will give the Big 12 a chance to remain as a "power league" for as long as that moniker exists."
If Big 12 expands, would someone again remind why/why not Boise State? I don't get it. Wouldn't maybe Houston be better and more 'geographic'.

"College football will eventually consolidate to one or two leagues that will be comprised of only the power brands; ESPN executives will map out that paradigm with the "cooperation" of league commissioners and nervous college presidents whose job security will depend on being a part of that new world."
Do sensible people really believe this? One or two leagues comprised of only the power brands? Is this guy on acid or will that happen? College football is dead if that happens. [The article is from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, so I guess there's that, Texas]
Maybe I'm way too naive, but do college presidents' jobs depend on what league their sports teams play in? As in getting fired?

Maybe if Texas got demoted to the Mountain West. Can't see it otherwise.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Boise State is starting to grow on me actually. I could get behind adding BYU, Boise St, Cincy, and Central Florida.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Maybe I'm way too naive, but do college presidents' jobs depend on what league their sports teams play in? As in getting fired?

Maybe if Texas got demoted to the Mountain West. Can't see it otherwise.
I would be happy to demote them. Who do I talk to?

I might have the Texas Confederate Army after me. I will recruit Iowa regulars.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Boise State is starting to grow on me actually. I could get behind adding BYU, Boise St, Cincy, and Central Florida.
Hopefully it won't come to that, unless they do something for a couple of years. OK with that for option, as if I matter. We all hope for eventual Power conference of course.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
The SEC and the Big 10 are going to pull in $80 million each, ACC, Pac at $40 million, Big 12 $25 million, AAC $10 million. The gaps will continue to grow. The conferences will then grow and add until eventually there will be 2 leagues of 16 - 20 each. It may take 40 years from now, but college football will be doomed.

Something drastic has to change this path. The answer: nationwide media revenue sharing. I am not talking Arkansas State getting the same as Alabama. I am talking a Tier basis. So the top revenue teams will still make more but the gaps won't be so drastic. This will allow for regional conferences and rivalries like it should.

We have history to show this can be done and works - Major League Baseball. The haves and have nots started in the late 80s I would say. The top teams generally were the biggest revenue producers. These teams were in the big cities with the most media money. It was bad for the sport. Fans that didn't have a chance lost interest. Thankfully, they came up with the luxury tax. You still have your gaps but the small guy, like Tampa Bay, can compete with the Yankees and Red Sox now. The Yankees and other top revenue teams didn't have to do this but they did for the good of the game.

It is going to take key people in power and maybe the government to stop this train but hope it happens

Last edited:

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
The SEC and the Big 10 are going to pull in $80 million each, ACC, Pac at $40 million, Big 12 $25 million, AAC $10 million. The gaps will continue to grow. The conferences will then grow and add until eventually there will be 2 leagues of 16 - 20 each. It may take 40 years from now, but college football will be doomed.

Something drastic has to change this path. The answer: nationwide media revenue sharing. I am not talking Arkansas State getting the same as Alabama. I am talking a Tier basis. So the top revenue teams will still make more but the gaps won't be so drastic. This will allow for regional conferences and rivalries like it should.

We have history to show this can be done and works - Major League Baseball. The haves and have nots started in the late 80s I would say. The top teams generally were the biggest revenue producers. These teams were in the big cities with the most media money. It was bad for the sport. Fans that didn't have a chance lost interest. Thankfully, they came up with the luxury tax. You still have your gaps but the small guy, like Tampa Bay, can compete with the Yankees and Red Sox now. The Yankees and other top revenue teams didn't have to do this but they did for the good of the game.

It is going to take key people in power and maybe the government to stop this train but hope it happens

NCAA constitutional convention in January?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

A 30-40 team league would destroy college football (and destroy a good portion of what they think would be the audience for that).

Reactions: Rex O Herlihan

ILikeBacon

Apr 1, 2013
I think a model where you get paid based on which media rights tier you play on makes sense. Say a conference has games on FOX, FS1, and BTN. You get more money for getting your game on a higher tier, based on your perceived value by the media rights holder. If Kansas joins the B1G and gets all of its games on BTN then it’s not taking a slice of the pie that’s too big for its 0-12 program.

Good observation. That is an angle I hadn't seen anyone else mention previously. It is a good business decision.

If it also came with some kind of tiered revenue share approach, the "add value" concerns can be alleviated.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
There are currently 129 D1 FBS football programs. Among the P5 teams, we have an alliance of 41 schools in the BIGACCPAC and 16 schools in future SEC and the 8 in Big 8. The eastcoast sportswriters want to see that become an alliance of 57. It seems to me that the alliance of 41 teams has more in common with the Big 8 than they do with the SEC (maybe not culturally but definitely in terms of national versus regional branding). We know how trends develop. It's not going to be in the interest of the ACC and PAC to let this go from a P65 to a P57. They should know they would be next on the chopping block. Let's hope they are smart enough to recognize that.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Bottom line is that the PAC is going to hit the media rights market in about 2 years...and they are not going to like the news. Their numbers, both in seat attendance and eyeballs on the sets, have decreased since the onset of the current media contract. They need to...

1630165065326.png

The big question...what to the so-called blue bloods (USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington) do? Especially if the numbers come in at or even lower than the current. Does adding in 4, or 6, or 8 Big 12 teams help? Obviously, getting the midwest can't hurt, and likely helps some. But it still will be behind the BIG and SEC (likely around the ACC numbers). Game matchups like KSU-Cal, TTech-WSU, Baylor-OSU will hardly move any needles. But even those will draw better numbers than Cal-WSU, Utah-OSU, or WSU-Arizona. Scary thought...the absolute crapfest that is the ACC media rights contract completely hamstrings that league too...but the PAC is going to face the music first.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron