Pac-12 to decide whether to expand within a couple weeks

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Bottom line is that the PAC is going to hit the media rights market in about 2 years...and they are not going to like the news. Their numbers, both in seat attendance and eyeballs on the sets, have decreased since the onset of the current media contract. They need to...

View attachment 88627

The big question...what to the so-called blue bloods (USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington) do? Especially if the numbers come in at or even lower than the current. Does adding in 4, or 6, or 8 Big 12 teams help? Obviously, getting the midwest can't hurt, and likely helps some. But it still will be behind the BIG and SEC (likely around the ACC numbers). Game matchups like KSU-Cal, TTech-WSU, Baylor-OSU will hardly move any needles. But even those will draw better numbers than Cal-WSU, Utah-OSU, or WSU-Arizona. Scary thought...the absolute crapfest that is the ACC media rights contract completely hamstrings that league too...but the PAC is going to face the music first.

Any projection of this will be completely dependent upon how bad fox wants to stay in the game.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Bottom line is that the PAC is going to hit the media rights market in about 2 years...and they are not going to like the news. Their numbers, both in seat attendance and eyeballs on the sets, have decreased since the onset of the current media contract. They need to...

View attachment 88627

The big question...what to the so-called blue bloods (USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington) do? Especially if the numbers come in at or even lower than the current. Does adding in 4, or 6, or 8 Big 12 teams help? Obviously, getting the midwest can't hurt, and likely helps some. But it still will be behind the BIG and SEC (likely around the ACC numbers). Game matchups like KSU-Cal, TTech-WSU, Baylor-OSU will hardly move any needles. But even those will draw better numbers than Cal-WSU, Utah-OSU, or WSU-Arizona. Scary thought...the absolute crapfest that is the ACC media rights contract completely hamstrings that league too...but the PAC is going to face the music first.

Sounds like the new Pac-12 commish wants to sell Alliance game rights collectively with the B1G and ACC. This would be a boon to the Pac and ACC at the B1G’s expense. It’s annoying that the B1G is basically propping them up via the Alliance for now, when the B12 didn’t get the same support. Hopefully that dynamic ends soon, and then there will be lots of realignment churn.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Pac is in the 30-40 range I mentioned. I don’t think Bowlsby has the Big 12 at 26.4. Is that the 50% OU/UT cut plus 40% growth number that people have been throwing around with no basis?

Bowlsby estimated a 50% cut from OU and UT leaving which would put us in the high teens. Probably a bit more of cut if we add UCF/Cincinnati/one more, who are going to be under that value by a little bit. Then hopefully we get an Amazon premium and some bump for live sports being valuable entering the mid 2020s. That’s the about $20MM number. But I am no TV consultant. Will be interesting to see where it shakes out, just have to hope it’s enough to keep high level facilities and coaches and let winning do the rest.

The 40% growth is within the range that industry consultants expected for growth with the next round of media rights negotiations. The growth figure industry consultants expected was a range of 40-60%.

That sounds drastic, but it really isn't when one considers the math. The expectation was new deals would be 10 years in length and the 40-60% was based on the AVERAGE media rights payments over the 10 years. Using easy math and projected Big12 when UT & OU were still around.

Projected Big12 Media Rights $ in 2025 - $450M or $45M per school
50% Increase in Rights Fees - $675M annual average over 10 years

2026 - $483M or $48.3M per school
2027 - $518M or $51.8M
2028 - $555M or $55.5M
2029 - $596M or $59.6M
2030 - $639M or $63.9M
2031 - $685M or $68.5M

2032 - $735M or $73.5M
2033 -$788M or $78.8M
2034 - $846M or $84.6M
2035 - $907M or $90.7M

The above schedule amounts to a 7.26% annual increase in TV Media Rights. That seems pretty aggressive, but when ESPN agreed to pay the SEC $300M (up from $55M CBS paid in 2008) for its 2:30CT game, I think most college administrators were pretty excited by the potential $ related to this round of media rights.

• Informative
Reactions: cytor and Clone83

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Sounds like the new Pac-12 commish wants to sell Alliance game rights collectively with the B1G and ACC. This would be a boon to the Pac and ACC at the B1G’s expense. It’s annoying that the B1G is basically propping them up via the Alliance for now, when the B12 didn’t get the same support. Hopefully that dynamic ends soon, and then there will be lots of realignment churn.
Right now I believe (definitely an opinion) that the BIGACCPAC is going to team together to combat the SEC. So, the BIG is going to subsidize through the alliance games, the ACCPAC. The better viewing numbers will help in negotiation for the PAC...the ACC is kind of stuck with it's current media rights until 2035. The better long-term will be to give a pod of Big 12 teams to the PAC along with a couple to the BIG and ACC. This helps the PAC and certainly doesn't hurt the BIG and ACC.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Not sure where you read that but it would be impossible for the ACC to be involved given their contract with ESPN thru 2035. And the only way the ACC can re-open that contract is via expansion and continuing that contractual relationship with ESPN.

The P12 needs to decide sooner than later on the future of PACN. If they want to engage bidders beyond ESPN and Fox, they cannot have T3 FB inventory on PACN. NBC, CBS, Amazon and Apple will all want that existing PACN inventory on their own respective streaming platforms. And the P12 will be best off with those new bidders if they aggregate their inventory with either the B10 or with at least 4 existing B12 schools. Given the B10's relationship with Fox & BTN, I highly doubt the B10 goes that route with the P12.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I think this what frustrates me more than anything. Just because UCLA is in LA they will always be fine, yet no one cares about their sports as seen below. How about we look at programs who actually have fans not just a big name or in a good media market. Even when we were horrible Jack Trice was 75% full.

Highway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2020
I think this what frustrates me more than anything. Just because UCLA is in LA they will always be fine, yet no one cares about their sports as seen below. How about we look at programs who actually have fans not just a big name or in a good media market. Even when we were horrible Jack Trice was 75% full.

When I saw this photo of the UCLA stadium, I jokingly told my wife that we need a grassroots effort by cyclone nation to have 10,000 cyclone fans decked out in red in attendance at the next UCLA home game. The cyclone fans could take over the end zone seats as a demonstration of our fan following.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

We put 61,000 people in the stadium for every home game, but we'll be left out in the cold and UCLA won't..... go figure.

That's college athletics today folks.

• Haha
Reactions: FatNTired

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

This will be most college stadiums in the country if ESPN and the SEC have their way.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015

Pathetic. And Iowa State brings no value to the Pac???

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I realize there's a lot more to do outdoors in so-Cal than attend a CFB game, but there are 365 days each year to do a lot of other things outdoors.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Doesn’t California have restrictions in place?

Legend12

May 9, 2008
We put 61,000 people in the stadium for every home game, but we'll be left out in the cold and UCLA won't..... go figure.

That's college athletics today folks.

ISU has never averaged more than 60,000 for a season.

Exactly how many games have had 61,000+?

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
The SEC and the Big 10 are going to pull in $80 million each, ACC, Pac at $40 million, Big 12 $25 million, AAC $10 million. The gaps will continue to grow. The conferences will then grow and add until eventually there will be 2 leagues of 16 - 20 each. It may take 40 years from now, but college football will be doomed.

Something drastic has to change this path. The answer: nationwide media revenue sharing. I am not talking Arkansas State getting the same as Alabama. I am talking a Tier basis. So the top revenue teams will still make more but the gaps won't be so drastic. This will allow for regional conferences and rivalries like it should.

We have history to show this can be done and works - Major League Baseball. The haves and have nots started in the late 80s I would say. The top teams generally were the biggest revenue producers. These teams were in the big cities with the most media money. It was bad for the sport. Fans that didn't have a chance lost interest. Thankfully, they came up with the luxury tax. You still have your gaps but the small guy, like Tampa Bay, can compete with the Yankees and Red Sox now. The Yankees and other top revenue teams didn't have to do this but they did for the good of the game.

It is going to take key people in power and maybe the government to stop this train but hope it happens
Problem is how do you get the conferences to give up control. They have all the power and I don’t know how that ends. Much like the difficulty ending the dynasty of archaic bowl industry a lot of jobs and money going to people that won’t want to give it up. Universities would have to act independent of conferences but also collectively to make a change. I don’t see it happening without lawmakers or regulators forcing a new structure.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
ISU has never averaged more than 60,000 for a season.

Exactly how many games have had 61,000+?

Skimming the Campbell era , outside of the Iowa and UNI games we've sold out for Oklahoma State in 2017 and 2019. I don't know if they kept the numbers from the canceled SDSU game in '18, but I'm pretty sure that was a sellout just from being there.

This year would be our best shot to average 60-61K between this team and people coming back from not attending games last year.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
It is a hot day in LA today. I don’t blame people for not wanting to bake in the sun. And people there don’t care about college football

What types of temperatures do you think they normally play in September in the SEC, Oklahoma, Texas schools, etc?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

"El Trafico" was tonight! :)

Seriously, there will be a big crowd next week for the LSU game.