Pat Forde on Kansas' hoops recruiting (FBI-related)

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
That. Would. Be. Hee. Larious.
Yeah, the full context was that they would have to consider it if Bill Self was fired. Which he won't be. So they wont need to consider it.

Mr. Lawson has a regular appearance on that radio show and likes to talk...

• Informative
Reactions: aobie

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah, the full context was that they would have to consider it if Bill Self was fired. Which he won't be. So they wont need to consider it.

Mr. Lawson has a regular appearance on that radio show and likes to talk...

I still have doubts both the Lawson's will be able to play next year. One of them will screw something up and have to sit out a while IMO

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If the payments were going to some guardian or parent and the player didn't know then there is no fraudulent act.
That is such an absurd statement and the reason many collegiate fans absolutely loathe the programs that get away with it, i.e. living by the rule of law, or better put "plausible deniability," rather than anything resembling ethical behavior. Crooked, crooked, crooked ...

giphy.gif

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
That is such an absurd statement and the reason many collegiate fans absolutely loathe the programs that get away with it, i.e. living by the rule of law, or better put "plausible deniability," rather than anything resembling ethical behavior. Crooked, crooked, crooked ...

giphy.gif
It's "crooked and unethical"to play a player who has not broken any ncaa rules because unbeknownst to both the school and the player, a guardian or parent took some money?!? That's eh, one way to look at it.

So based on that, the only ethical option for Kansas is to preemptively suspend all players just in case someone involved with them might have broken a rule. You're officially unhinged.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

giphy.gif

Actually, it is not absurd. but you know that.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's "crooked and unethical"to play a player who has not broken any ncaa rules because unbeknownst to both the school and the player, a guardian or parent took some money?!? That's eh, one way to look at it.

So based on that, the only ethical option for Kansas is to preemptively suspend all players just in case someone involved with them might have broken a rule. You're officially unhinged.
Ku has been running a program on the margin of NCAA rules since Sherron suddenly switched to Lawrence in '05. Only the names change from year2year.

This season it's De Sousa. "Oh, he switches from Maryland to Ku? Well, I'll be damned, I wonder why?"

And the fact that a son doesn't know his mom has gotten bought based on his play is absurd.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Son, I think you should pull that commitment and commit to Kansas.

Why? I have barely spoken to them.

Trust me when I say it is best for everyone involved.

But why? I have already formed friendships with my future teammates.

I can't really tell you why.

Come on. I don't want to live out in the middle of Kansas.

If you won't change the subject I will. If you go where I tell you to I will get you that Escalade you have been eyeing.

With all the bells and whistles - totally tricked out?

Oh, yeah. ALL the bells and whistles.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Ku has been running a program on the margin of NCAA rules since Sherron suddenly switched to Lawrence in '05. Only the names change from year2year.

This season it's De Sousa. "Oh, he switches from Maryland to Ku? Well, I'll be damned, I wonder why?"

And the fact that a son doesn't know his mom has gotten bought based on his play is absurd.
Your continual revisiting of this Sherron Collins "last minute switch" story is getting old. He committed to Kansas on his official visit to Late Night in October at the very beginning of his senior season.

HS coaches tell recruits who think about committing to a school in their junior year (the visit to Illinois you're referring to) all the time. I know conspiracy theories are fun when they support your argument but they should at least make a little sense. Do some actual research on Collins'recruiting and timeline before you share goofball theories.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Circa 2005 Harold&Review.

Quote:
When Collins came to Illinois on a previous visit, he told the coaches he wanted to commit. Right then. On the spot. Let’s get it over. This is where I want to be. But his coach, Crane Tech’s Anthony Longstreet, told Collins he wouldn’t let him commit just yet. He wanted to wait.
Quote:
But somewhere along the line — and somehow — Collins was convined he should be at Kansas. Don’t waste your time analyzing this from a basketball standpoint. Of course Weber’s motion offense appears to be a better fit for a guard who covets a professional career, just as it was for Deron Williams and Luther Head and Dee Brown (and Chester Frazier and Jamar Smith, etc…) This isn’t about basketball. It’s about a coach steering a kid some place and whenever that happens you have to wonder why? Why overrule a young man’s instincts? Guide, but don’t decide, that should be the coach-player rule.
Quote:
I’m not accusing anyone because I have no proof of misbehavior. But I am always uncomfortable when outside influences seem to make the recruiting decision rather than the player himself. And one can’t help wonder why that outside influence felt so compelled to dictate the young man’s decision.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Circa 2005 Harold&Review.

Quote:
When Collins came to Illinois on a previous visit, he told the coaches he wanted to commit. Right then. On the spot. Let’s get it over. This is where I want to be. But his coach, Crane Tech’s Anthony Longstreet, told Collins he wouldn’t let him commit just yet. He wanted to wait.
Quote:
But somewhere along the line — and somehow — Collins was convined he should be at Kansas. Don’t waste your time analyzing this from a basketball standpoint. Of course Weber’s motion offense appears to be a better fit for a guard who covets a professional career, just as it was for Deron Williams and Luther Head and Dee Brown (and Chester Frazier and Jamar Smith, etc…) This isn’t about basketball. It’s about a coach steering a kid some place and whenever that happens you have to wonder why? Why overrule a young man’s instincts? Guide, but don’t decide, that should be the coach-player rule.
Quote:
I’m not accusing anyone because I have no proof of misbehavior. But I am always uncomfortable when outside influences seem to make the recruiting decision rather than the player himself. And one can’t help wonder why that outside influence felt so compelled to dictate the young man’s decision.
And I can find you a Michigan State recruiting "expert" who swore up and down that Josh Jackson was secretly already committed to Michigan State. Then once he committed to Kansas it was "he really wants to go to Michigan State, he just needs to talk his mom into it/ Don't worry, since he hasn't signed his financial aid paperwork he is still gonna end up at MSU". The guy just flat out made up stuff. It happens all the time with these local recruiting sites.

Your "link" is just a series of insinuations, innuendo and second hand guesses based on nothing. It implies that his HS coach was on the take (at least he admits later that he has zero actual proof to back up any of his ignorant assumptions) when it's most likely that he simply didn't want Collins to rush to a decision in his junior season because there would most likely be more interest from other schools. At the time of those visits to Illinois his only other serious offer was from IOWA for crying out loud. Everyone looks good compared to Iowa, even Bruce Weber.

And it's not like Bruce Weber doesn't have a long history of failing to close the deal on elite recruits. He couldn't even land Jon Scheyer out of Chicago and Scheyer's high school coach was Bruce Weber's brother! Quentin Snyder and Eric Gordon both verbally committed to Weber and Illinois before having a change of heart and bolting for other programs.

Just because some random dude wrote a story doesn't mean it is even remotely based on fact. He hadn't even taken his official visit to Illinois when he committed to Kansas. He wanted to get far away from his life in the slums of Chicago and loved hearing that he was what Bill Self believed was the missing piece of a title caliber team. Turns out Self was right as he went to the Elite Eight his freshman season and won a national title his sophomore season. And he loved Lawrence so much that he moved back their last fall to raise his kids there.

You latch onto these sketchy sources and lap them up as "fact" because you want them to be fact SO BAD. I mean come on, look at this nonsense: "Of course Weber’s motion offense appears to be a better fit for a guard who covets a professional career"?!? Don't make me laugh. Self has sent ten times as many guards to the league as Weber and Collins' jersey is hanging in the rafter of one of the most storied programs in college basketball while sporting a national title ring to boot.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Raider

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
And I can find you a Michigan State recruiting "expert" who swore up and down that Josh Jackson was secretly already committed to Michigan State. Then once he committed to Kansas it was "he really wants to go to Michigan State, he just needs to talk his mom into it/ Don't worry, since he hasn't signed his financial aid paperwork he is still gonna end up at MSU". The guy just flat out made up stuff. It happens all the time with these local recruiting sites.

Your "link" is just a series of insinuations, innuendo and second hand guesses based on nothing. It implies that his HS coach was on the take (at least he admits later that he has zero actual proof to back up any of his ignorant assumptions) when it's most likely that he simply didn't want Collins to rush to a decision in his junior season because there would most likely be more interest from other schools. At the time of those visits to Illinois his only other serious offer was from IOWA for crying out loud. Everyone looks good compared to Iowa, even Bruce Weber.

And it's not like Bruce Weber doesn't have a long history of failing to close the deal on elite recruits. He couldn't even land Jon Scheyer out of Chicago and Scheyer's high school coach was Bruce Weber's brother! Quentin Snyder and Eric Gordon both verbally committed to Weber and Illinois before having a change of heart and bolting for other programs.

Just because some random dude wrote a story doesn't mean it is even remotely based on fact. He hadn't even taken his official visit to Illinois when he committed to Kansas. He wanted to get far away from his life in the slums of Chicago and loved hearing that he was what Bill Self believed was the missing piece of a title caliber team. Turns out Self was right as he went to the Elite Eight his freshman season and won a national title his sophomore season. And he loved Lawrence so much that he moved back their last fall to raise his kids there.

You latch onto these sketchy sources and lap them up as "fact" because you want them to be fact SO BAD. I mean come on, look at this nonsense: "Of course Weber’s motion offense appears to be a better fit for a guard who covets a professional career"?!? Don't make me laugh. Self has sent ten times as many guards to the league as Weber and Collins' jersey is hanging in the rafter of one of the most storied programs in college basketball while sporting a national title ring to boot.

Michigan St couldn't afford Jackson. I never thought he was going there

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Just because some random dude wrote a story doesn't mean it is even remotely based on fact. He hadn't even taken his official visit to Illinois when he committed to Kansas. He wanted to get far away from his life in the slums of Chicago
The random dude was a newspaper columnist. And the point of posting his comments was to shine a light on the fact that Ku has been doing this stuff for a long time under Self dating back to Sherron Collins.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The random dude was a newspaper columnist. And the point of posting his comments was to shine a light on the fact that Ku has been doing this stuff for a long time under Self dating back to Sherron Collins.
So was the Michigan State guy with all the completely inaccurate info on Jackson. You aren't shining a light on anything and you certainly haven't done anything to warrant the use of the term "fact". You're posting unsupported innuendo and passing it off as fact because it fits your narrative.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So was the Michigan State guy with all the completely inaccurate info on Jackson. You aren't shining a light on anything and you certainly haven't done anything to warrant the use of the term "fact". You're posting unsupported innuendo and passing it off as fact because it fits your narrative.

The info might have been accurate at one time. Recruiting is very fluid. Jackson might have been secretly committed to Michigan State and then he wanted to go to Michigan State but might have had to talk his mom into going there which isn't that hard to believe considering she accepted money for him to go to Kansas

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
In an email reportedly sent Aug. 20, 2016, and reviewed by Yahoo Sports, Dawkins gave his bosses at ASM Sports agency an update on his efforts to sign Jackson after a meeting with Jones, who ran an AAU basketball team sponsored by Under Armour.

"(Under Armour) is giving her 10k a month and she's also getting paid by adidas now — so she’s plenty taken care of," Dawkins wrote.
site-nav-logo-dark@2x.png

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
In an email reportedly sent Aug. 20, 2016, and reviewed by Yahoo Sports, Dawkins gave his bosses at ASM Sports agency an update on his efforts to sign Jackson after a meeting with Jones, who ran an AAU basketball team sponsored by Under Armour.

"(Under Armour) is giving her 10k a month and she's also getting paid by adidas now — so she’s plenty taken care of," Dawkins wrote.
site-nav-logo-dark@2x.png
Ah, more Christian Dawkins stories. AKA the same guy who alleged that Miami coaches arranged to have $150k funneled to a player to go to Miami but who the FBI later discovered made it up and kept the money himself.

I think we are going to see many more of these allegations end up the same way; with runners having pocketed the money themselves.

Help Support Us

Become a patron