Paying for Iowa State

jbredwing1

Sep 12, 2017
St. Louis
I'm going to be a freshman next year and I've narrowed it down to Iowa State and Mizzou. I live in St. Louis, Missouri, so I have to pay for out of state which makes Mizzou cheaper already. On top of this, I have to apply for the Evan's Scholarship at Mizzou, which covers all expenses at Mizzou. While my chance of getting it are 50/50 I've already fallen in love with Iowa State and I need to rack up enough scholarship to make ISU a logical choice over a full ride. I know I sound like brat complaining about full rides but I'm passionate about Iowa State and want to have the chance to go there. I currently have a $22,000 scholarship ($5,500 a year) to Iowa State but that brings it down to the cost of Mizzou before any scholarship to there. I've looked into Airforce ROTC but even though I'd get into it, I don't think I'd get the scholarship. Does anyone know about any scholarships right now that are still open to out of state students.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I'm going to be a freshman next year and I've narrowed it down to Iowa State and Mizzou. I live in St. Louis, Missouri, so I have to pay for out of state which makes Mizzou cheaper already. On top of this, I have to apply for the Evan's Scholarship at Mizzou, which covers all expenses at Mizzou. While my chance of getting it are 50/50 I've already fallen in love with Iowa State and I need to rack up enough scholarship to make ISU a logical choice over a full ride. I know I sound like brat complaining about full rides but I'm passionate about Iowa State and want to have the chance to go there. I currently have a $22,000 scholarship ($5,500 a year) to Iowa State but that brings it down to the cost of Mizzou before any scholarship to there. I've looked into Airforce ROTC but even though I'd get into it, I don't think I'd get the scholarship. Does anyone know about any scholarships right now that are still open to out of state students.
Check out the financial aid section on the website. There are tons of scholarships and grants available. http://www.financialaid.iastate.edu/

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Do you know what you want to major in?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I was an out of state student too. One thing I was told by someone on my visit was that you could go to school part-time, but also work and live in the state for a year. This will allow you to gain residency in Iowa and therefore be eligible for in-state tuition.

I did not go this route, but it was interesting. I entered Iowa State in 2006.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
I was an out of state student too. One thing I was told by someone on my visit was that you could go to school part-time, but also work and live in the state for a year. This will allow you to gain residency in Iowa and therefore be eligible for in-state tuition.

I did not go this route, but it was interesting. I entered Iowa State in 2006.
My friend is doing this right now and I wouldn't suggest it. You have to work 30 hours every week for a year. He can only go back home for 3 days for Chirstmas.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Apply for every scholarship you can. There are tons of them out there.

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
If you're passionate about going to Iowa State, that's where you need to go. You will never regret it. Good luck to you.
Agreed. Go to the place your heart takes you. It sounds like the program is higher ranked at ISU than Mizzou which will help in the long run when it comes to job placement. Don't make a life changing decision based solely on money. Life's too short.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Can an out of state resident move to Iowa and work for a year, and then go to school paying in-state tuition?

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I've done a bunch of small ones thinking they'd add up but they all turned out to be ones where they just get your email and spam you with adds and stuff.
Go through the Financial Aid Office. When I went through I used a combination of sources for income. I had scholarships, grants, loans, and part time work through the Financial Aid Office.

I got to work for the C.E Department working for grad students and professors on their research projects. That was a lot of fun and I got paid very well for it. I also enjoyed the time away from class and homework, etc.

It was so much fun that when it came time to graduate, I didn't want it to end. I entertained the idea of grad school in order to stay longer. My counselor finally convinced me to get out there and as he said "earn the big bucks". I had the loans paid off within five years without any strain.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
My friend is doing this right now and I wouldn't suggest it. You have to work 30 hours every week for a year. He can only go back home for 3 days for Chirstmas.

What's he going to do when he has to get a real-life job and still only get to go home for 3 days at Christmas?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
What's he going to do when he has to get a real-life job and still only get to go home for 3 days at Christmas?
Or none during the first year, depending on who you work for. If you want to go to Iowa State, find the way that you can live with. If you don't get the scholly's, you can put the work up front (30 work hour, minimal holiday time) or behind (school loans).

• Agree
Reactions: CtownCyclone