Paying for Iowa State

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
What is/was a university wide Christmas banquet and party? I've worked here for a long, long time and never heard of such a thing. Now I'm jealous.
Back on topic, look for the university/college/department based scholarships and financial aid (including work study if you qualify) so you can attend the place you really want to be. Don't over-borrow or underestimate the cost. Get ready for the time of your life.

That would have been Christmas of 1966. It was held at the Towers cafeteria building dining area. The building is still there but it might be used for other purposes now. As I recall, the occasion was University-wide (it was a very large number of people, maybe Department wide?) and it seemed like it had to do with a Christmas party, but it may have been an awards ceremony/banquet or something like that.

All of the attendees and spouses were all dressed up rather formally. The tables were all done up with table clothes, china place settings, candles and vases, etc. The Hospitality Management students and faculty were heavily involved in setting the occasion up. The regular students, like me, that worked there acted as waiters, busboys, etc.

Back on topic. Someone posted above and mentioned internships. I forgot to list that in my sources of funding. Very important especially for engineers. I did that with a large engineering company one summer and then for DOT for a couple of summers. Fantastic experience and great for the resume and connections. Good pay and fun learning with professional engineers in the field.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You loved Iowa State because you could live at home?

I think you neglected the end of that sentence.

There ain't nothing like room-and-board of $0 plus free food, laundry, and maid services.

I was a terrible young adult.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I think you neglected the end of that sentence.

There ain't nothing like room-and-board of $0 plus free food, laundry, and maid services.

I was a terrible young adult.

No, I read it. How old are you? You sound like my 63-year-old dad.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
That would have been Christmas of 1966. It was held at the Towers cafeteria building dining area. The building is still there but it might be used for other purposes now. As I recall, the occasion was University-wide (it was a very large number of people, maybe Department wide?) and it seemed like it had to do with a Christmas party, but it may have been an awards ceremony/banquet or something like that.

All of the attendees and spouses were all dressed up rather formally. The tables were all done up with table clothes, china place settings, candles and vases, etc. The Hospitality Management students and faculty were heavily involved in setting the occasion up. The regular students, like me, that worked there acted as waiters, busboys, etc.

Back on topic. Someone posted above and mentioned internships. I forgot to list that in my sources of funding. Very important especially for engineers. I did that with a large engineering company one summer and then for DOT for a couple of summers. Fantastic experience and great for the resume and connections. Good pay and fun learning with professional engineers in the field.

(Okay, I haven't been here that long. In fact, I was nowhere near college age at the time.)

• Informative

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
As long as you graduate with a ME degree, don’t worry about a little debt. Engineering pays well.

I had 40k payed off in under 4 yrs....I just kept living like I was still a student for those years.

• Agree