Paying for Iowa State

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
My friend is doing this right now and I wouldn't suggest it. You have to work 30 hours every week for a year. He can only go back home for 3 days for Chirstmas.
I didn't go home for Christmas my first year. I was working in the Towers Cafeteria for room and board. Our cafeteria was the host to the University wide Christmas banquet and party and I jumped at the chance to be part of the crew to work it. Got great extra benefits for doing it.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Or none during the first year, depending on who you work for. If you want to go to Iowa State, find the way that you can live with. If you don't get the scholly's, you can put the work up front (30 work hour, minimal holiday time) or behind (school loans).

I was assuming the 3 days were Saturday, Sunday, and Monday this year ;).

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I loved Iowa State as much as anybody, but much of that love came because it was so cheap and I could live at home, which is extremely cheap.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Can an out of state resident move to Iowa and work for a year, and then go to school paying in-state tuition?

I think so, but not sure. My BIL did this about 20 years ago, although he had been in military and listed his home address as ours since otherwise he didn't really have one.

I have sent three kids off to college, have more in high school, and feel like I have read triple digit scholarship applications at this point. Resources:

1. Financial aid office and website at any institution you are considering applying at. ISU College of Engineering scholarship I think you have to apply for each year again, but process is simple and they email you about it.
2. High school guidance counselor. Ours has an extensive list online, applications outside her office door, and works hard to help any student who wants to go.
3. Check any organization you or your parents belong to for scholarships. An organization of which my husband's employer is a member has awarded my kids a total of $12,000 in scholarship aid so far. One of my kids got $22,000 in scholarships that a corporation offered to high school math contest participants. My nieces all got scholarships from their grandpa's lodge.
4. There is an Iowa College Student Aid Commission with grants and scholarships. Assume there is Missouri equivalent.
5. Obviously there is work study, but my kids who have gone to ISU have benefited greatly just from student jobs. Both have worked at Rec Services and the Library. Not only do they get money for working, but they also get references they can use on more scholarship applications. Can set your hours fairly easily. They are lifeguards so they make more than minimum wage for that job and Rec Services takes care of re-certifications.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Prostitution is fun.....

Seriously though, go where you want. The money will take care of itself. I graduated with 30k in debt and I should have it paid off on 2018. I'm assuming as an engineer you will make more than me.
You sure made short work of that debt...you didn't graduate all that long ago. Well done!

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think so, but not sure. My BIL did this about 20 years ago, although he had been in military and listed his home address as ours since otherwise he didn't really have one.
Yes, they can. One of our lab rats thought he just had to live here for a year and pay out of state tuition while working as a student employee, and he would gain residency (like they offer in California, where he's from). He found out the hard way that it doesn't work that way, and he only budgeted for one year of the higher tuition. So, he's now taking one class a semester and working 20 hours a week at his campus job and 20 hours a week tending bar off campus. Next fall he will qualify for in-state tuition.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm going to be a freshman next year and I've narrowed it down to Iowa State and Mizzou. I live in St. Louis, Missouri, so I have to pay for out of state which makes Mizzou cheaper already. On top of this, I have to apply for the Evan's Scholarship at Mizzou, which covers all expenses at Mizzou. While my chance of getting it are 50/50 I've already fallen in love with Iowa State and I need to rack up enough scholarship to make ISU a logical choice over a full ride. I know I sound like brat complaining about full rides but I'm passionate about Iowa State and want to have the chance to go there. I currently have a $22,000 scholarship ($5,500 a year) to Iowa State but that brings it down to the cost of Mizzou before any scholarship to there. I've looked into Airforce ROTC but even though I'd get into it, I don't think I'd get the scholarship. Does anyone know about any scholarships right now that are still open to out of state students.

I work in financing and I see a lot of student debt issues so i do not want to diminish the importance of this because people do get in over their heads but based on your major (mechanical engineering), i would go where your heart and gut tell you to.

If you go to ISU, sounds like you will leave school with reasonable debt in a position to have a decent job in a well paying field. You can look at additional opportunities like being an RA after your first year to help with costs like room and board.

The biggest mistake people make is only paying the minimum on their student loans and not properly managing/understanding the risks and costs associated with the loan when they initiate it. That, and deferring payments until a time when they think they can afford it (late 20s and 30s) but other things like kids, cars, and homes are costs they dont account for properly. (spoiler alert: life gets more expensive as you get older, account for this and plan for it).

If you go to Mizzou, leaving school with no student debt is undoubtedly a major head start in life. The real costs of having student debt you will pay in the form of driving a car for a couple years longer than you prefer or waiting a year or two longer to buy a house.those are the real sacrifices. Go with your gut and you wont regret it for a minute.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
My advice would be to consider the job placement statistics of each school in your chosen field of study. Iowa State has a fantastic career placement office for engineers, and the higher probability for job placement (and average starting salary) could help to offset the higher cost to earn your degree.

I've personally been a beneficiary of their services both as a student (internships and full time job) and as an Alum.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
College tuition is negotiable. Seriously.

Talk to the admittance office. Obviously things like test scores, your application awesomeness, your race, etc will be taken into consideration. But tell them you love Iowa State you just can't justify the difference in tuition. If ISU wants you, they'll negotiate. They may not be able to match Mizzou, but they'll get closer than they are now.

People always find it surprising that tuition is negotiable, but it absolutely is.

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
College tuition is negotiable. Seriously.

Talk to the admittance office. Obviously things like test scores, your application awesomeness, your race, etc will be taken into consideration. But tell them you love Iowa State you just can't justify the difference in tuition. If ISU wants you, they'll negotiate. They may not be able to match Mizzou, but they'll get closer than they are now.

People always find it surprising that tuition is negotiable, but it absolutely is.
where tf were you when I was a freshman at ISU? lol

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I didn't go home for Christmas my first year. I was working in the Towers Cafeteria for room and board. Our cafeteria was the host to the University wide Christmas banquet and party and I jumped at the chance to be part of the crew to work it. Got great extra benefits for doing it.

What is/was a university wide Christmas banquet and party? I've worked here for a long, long time and never heard of such a thing. Now I'm jealous.
Back on topic, look for the university/college/department based scholarships and financial aid (including work study if you qualify) so you can attend the place you really want to be. Don't over-borrow or underestimate the cost. Get ready for the time of your life.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Also best way to land a job after graduation, either where you intern or just because you have experience.

Cannot agree more. Way back when, I was on the hiring committee for new engineers for my (former) company. No internship on the resume, no first interview. But that's a different topic for a different thread. Just wanted to make sure that OP was considering the fact that he'll be in position to actually make some money during school to help offset costs. If I remember correctly (this is looking back like 15 years), I made enough between my two internships that it covered 2 years or so.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
My advice would be to consider the job placement statistics of each school in your chosen field of study. Iowa State has a fantastic career placement office for engineers, and the higher probability for job placement (and average starting salary) could help to offset the higher cost to earn your degree.

I've personally been a beneficiary of their services both as a student (internships and full time job) and as an Alum.

I would never advocate taking on crushing debt. So if you can make tuition manageable I agree with SMN here. Mechanical Engineering at ISU is a better investment than MU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron