Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
If I remember correctly in the games before this he passed he'd been having some serious migraine headaches. He passed fairly early in the day I want to say around noon or so.
Yes, I remember him being in the hospital because of migraine or headache, something like that, and I remember it being morning. Saw a note from one of my colleagues asking people if they’d heard. I didn’t want to think it was true. And immediately thought of him saying, “Oh, man” right after a call that didn’t go ISU’s way.

• Sad
Reactions: CyNews

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
One of the greatest things were the Johnny O. Interviews. It was like stand up comedy. Pete would play the straight man and ask questions in a serious tone. Johnny would then answer and leave everyone rolling in the aisles. Jim Walden to a certain extent also. Some of the post games were the best part of the day.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
He was taken to the Iowa City hospital on Tuesday, passed away Wednesday morning, and the game was Wednesday night. Stroke, brain surgery, and brain hemorrhage.

I could be totally wrong with my 20 year old memory on this, but I think Larry E. drove to Iowa City to "make peace" or some such. A very dramatic time...even for us arms length arm chair fans.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Pete was only 57 years of age when he passed 20 years ago today, while John W. has done a great job as voice of the Cyclones, it's not hard to imagine that Pete could still be behind the microphone for ISU today. I wonder if strokes were common in his family, I lost my brother last fall from a stroke he was only 62, my dad had a couple before he passed. I get checked every year and make sure that I take a small dose aspirin each day because of our family history of strokes.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Pete was only 57 years of age when he passed 20 years ago today, while John W. has done a great job as voice of the Cyclones, it's not hard to imagine that Pete could still be behind the microphone for ISU today. I wonder if strokes were common in his family, I lost my brother last fall from a stroke he was only 62, my dad had a couple before he passed. I get checked every year and make sure that I take a small dose aspirin each day because of our family history of strokes.
Not to derail the thread but there was a great NYT story this week about a very promising treatment for strokes.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I would buy a Cyclones legends tshirt of Pete Taylor, hint hint.....

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Watching Pete and Eric do the call for the 1992 Iowa State vs Nebraska game on Cyclones TV. LOVE his voice calling the games. Started listening to him in the late 70s when I was 8 years old. It's nice just hearing the fans and the band and not a big blaire of super loud crap coming out of the stadium speakers. LOL, yeah I'm old (54).

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
I heard the news while driving and found a spot to park and just started balling my eyes out. It truly was like I had lost a family member.

I heard the news while driving and found a spot to park and just started balling my eyes out. It truly was like I had lost a family member.
that is what I did when I heard it. had to pull over to the side of the road and cried. It was a sad day for ISU

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Watching Pete and Eric do the call for the 1992 Iowa State vs Nebraska game on Cyclones TV. LOVE his voice calling the games. Started listening to him in the late 70s when I was 8 years old. It's nice just hearing the fans and the band and not a big blaire of super loud crap coming out of the stadium speakers. LOL, yeah I'm old (54).
A very strong reason why I’m an Iowa state fan today is b/c of Pete and Eric on the radio.