Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm with cybsball on this one. There is not a lot we see.

If it is really language workarounds, great, but I don't think that gets at the cusp of the board being bloated after a loss.

Some good old fashioned elbow grease to illustrate to posters that things need to remain somewhat structured around here would go a long way.

From appearances, the mods have looked soft since the transition. Obviously we do not see what goes on behind the scenes but maybe fresh blood would not be such a bad idea.

I understand, but your appearance is likely misinformed/uninformed, and definitely incorrect. We have banned a ton more people lately than we used to due to personal attacks, racist comments, trolling, breaking site rules, and so on.

Let's get some perspective on how serious of a problem it is. If you have to merge a thread every now and then, so be it. You're a mod, you signed up for that. It's like I said earlier, some people bring up arguments that warrant a new thread. It is possible to have several threads about one issue that all discuss different angles and bring up different points of dicussion. I don't see one "Insight Bowl" thread going. Don't penalize people because the threads they're starting don't always paint the best picture.

Well I guess it's not really up to you and I what the rest of the posters on this site do. We put up with the good posters just like we put up with the bad posters and we keep coming back.

Not a single mod is acting like we're curing a terminal disease here - we are fully aware that this is just a website, which is actually exactly our point (I don't understand crying because your thread gets merged). However, we do obviously maintain (without pay) a site that you have found important enough to post on over 1,600 times (that does not include any social groups or PM's). A good deal goes into moderating, and it's not just deleting a couple of posts or merging one or two threads. We have people make personal attacks on us when we explain why they can't make racist posts, we have people try and dig up our personal information and e-mail us at home if they don't like being moderated. We specifically don't make a big deal out of it (so you, as an end-user, never know) because we signed on to do this. We continue to choose to moderate because we care about ISU and think that this site is a great place for Cyclone fans to relax, debate, and so on. Adding new moderators is not as easy of a process as you think it is, although I'm sure that seems like an "easy" fix. I understand that it's easy to make sweeping generalizations from the outside, but this thread alone shows you how many varying opinions there are on the way the site should be run - and we hear from everyone.

We're eliciting opinions here not because this is some enormous, important deal - but because we want to make this service even more valuable to our users. A little respect and a little less venom toward other posters, the site owners, and the moderators isn't a lot to ask.

Reactions: cjclone

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
If we lose to Iowa the meltdown of all meltdowns is going to happen.

Yeah U-B-Rite.....If Iowa rolls out of Hilton with a win I can only imagine these fellow boardmembers melting down ...Well...Like the Armegeddon of Meltdowns!!!

I really do Pine for the Morgan-Eustasy-Floyd-Orr..days!!!!!!!!

Im gonna get down on my knees and pray that the black and gold throw up lots of bricks come friday nite!!!!!

And remember Buy Tickets People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
For example, basketball. If somebody has an opinion that GMac should be fired. Then that person goes and posts the same opinion in every basketball thread. Then the thread gets derailed quickly to be the same discussion that has been held in every other basketball thread.

This.

Honestly, I haven't seen it as bad here as I have at some other (ahem) Cyclone sites. And I applaud the staff for wanting to be proactive about it.

For this type of person (non-specific to the issue), my opinion is that you just have to ban them. They don't contribute anything to the site. I'm talking about the hardcore people, the one trick ponies, the people with axes to grind. And again, this isn't issue specific. Just incessant posting of one particular idea.

For the multiple threads of those legitimately frustrated (and we're Cyclone fans, we're always frustrated about something) or elated, multiple threads covering the same topic can be merged. I don't think anyone wants to see either 20 'darn' or 20 'yay' threads after a win/loss.

Reactions: Angie

dbronco7sc

Mar 25, 2006
Brookings, SD
Visit site
Just saying we don't need complicated ways to segregate posts, just label them for what they are, something rational or a rant so I don't waste my time reading rants.

This pretty much sums up how I feel.

That, and hopefully the the discussion doesn't morph into an extension of one of the other common arguments (Mac should go/stay, JP should go/stay, Morgan shouldn't have been let go/should have).

I used to read every basketball post on this site. However, I've maybe read 2 or 3 threads in the last 2 weeks or so. It sucks, I miss reading good stuff... but I can't afford to waste so much time searching for quality and non repetitive content.

I know if I start a thread, I'm going to challenge that all posts within the thread refrain from using the names of any current or past coaches/ADs and the word coach and all synonyms. I prefer discussion about the game, what was done well, what needs to be improved, in basketball terms, not specific people needing to be replaced.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Am I in Iran?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm going to play one on the internet. The first amendment prohibits congress from passing a a law restricting free speech. In other words, spouting your mouth off on whatever topic you choose on a message board can't be illegal. However, it doesn't say anything about the rights of any non-government entity to enforce restrictions on free speech. In other words, you're here on this message board, you play by their rules.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Isn't this site uber-popular?

Why all the fuss for change?

This site is awesome. OK, for 4 hours after a game, the site is 'a mess'. I would contend that the mods are doing a fantastic job, and after those 4 hours, the threads that are entertaining keep going and the others die.

What is the real issue here? Complaining or # of threads? I sure didn't like the 10,000 HB threads just before his presser, but guess what, I still love the site and now that issue is dead. No one wanted to regulate the site when HB man-love was going on. The same will be the case with the basketball team. They'll either lose a bunch of games and we'll all be on the same page, or we'll start winning games and all be on the same page.

Reactions: Angie

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Who cares if people meltdown. If you dont wanna see it then leave the sight for a few days. Its going to happen so no reason to try to stop it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You know, i think dropping the banhammer on Montyburns would probably be a bigger improvement than anything to do with the meltdown threads.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
My 2 cents: Avoid message boards. Just don't post after a loss. I avoided this place for 3 days because it is crazy to read the same crap over and over and over........

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My 2 cents: Avoid message boards. Just don't post after a loss. I avoided this place for 3 days because it is crazy to read the same crap over and over and over........

I do similarly. I just avoid the basketball forum. Except when some fool posted a rant in the women's bball forum. Pity that I probably miss some worthwhile information though.