Tigers
22 Washington State
Cougars
23 Pittsburgh
Panthers
24 Temple
Owls
25 San Diego State

I don't think these lists have been updated for this year's preseason poll. Herman's says he's the coach of Houston and has Stoops at OU.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Something like this on a smaller scale?
Remember this kept Iowa out of bigger things that year as well. ;)

I was living in KC at the time and watching it at a friend's house, he graduated from Iowa. There were about 10 of us there total. He absolutely lost his mind when the final gun sounded. He turned the channel (to prevent us from watching the postgame), took the remote and went upstairs to his game room. The rest of us sat downstairs and played cards for a few hours, then went home. He never came downstairs.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I don't think these lists have been updated for this year's preseason poll. Herman's says he's the coach of Houston and has Stoops at OU.

I'm thinking the same thing now... I guess I didn't know Campbell had a vote last year

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...reseason-top-25-loaded-traditional-powers-top I had to rub my eyes and look again when I saw ESPN has 60% of the Big 12 conference ranked. Haven't tuned in for a while, but I imagine they're still calling us a weak conference regardless. Coach has his work cut out for him if he's getting to 6 wins this year.

I remember reading something after the NFL draft this year, when everyone talked about how poorly the Big 12 showed, that a big part of it was many of the conference's best players were freshmen, sophomores or juniors. Not many upperclassmen playing major roles on their teams. Those young guys all came back to school for another year rather than entering the draft, so now we've got a conference full of previously "high ceiling" guys that have spent another 12 months learning the game, lifting, running sprints, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: YeahBuddy

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Am I alone thinking that Penn State is way, way overrated going into the season?

Yeah. I'm not dismissing Texas, but I think we should wait and see on them. Tom Herman will be successful in Austin but I don't know how his philosophy squares up with Charlie Strong's. There could be a lot of round holes and square pegs in that program this season.

I'm a little surprised to see Washington State almost breaking into the Top 25. I knew Leach had built a pretty respectable program in yet another outpost, but I didn't know expectations were quite that high this year.

I am really fearful that Texas will be a very tough game for rest of league this year. He can coach up kids and they do have talent that warrants respect.

Reactions: Jjflm62

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

He doesn't have Iowa listed. Obviously, we'll see an article from Chad Liestikow complaining about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Jjflm62

Aug 2, 2017
I am really fearful that Texas will be a very tough game for rest of league this year. He can coach up kids and they do have talent that warrants respect.

I agree 100%. It's Texas. They will almost always have the Jimmys and Joes to win with a recruiting hot bed like they have. And since they added Herman as coach, they will also have the Xs and Os that they lacked with Strong as coach.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Link: http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

USA Today Coaches Poll - Preseason (8/3)
1. Alabama (49)
2. Ohio State (5)
3. Florida State (4)
4. USC
5. Clemson (7)
6. Penn State
7. Washington
8. Oklahoma
9. Michigan
10. Wisconsin
11. Oklahoma State
12. LSU
13. Auburn
14. Stanford
15. Georgia
16. Florida
17. Louisville
18. Miami (FL)
19. Kansas State
20. West Virginia

21. South Florida
22. Virginia Tech
23. Texas
24. Tennessee
25. Utah

Others Receiving Votes
Washington State, Colorado, TCU, Boise State, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, North Carolina State, Oregon, Northwestern, Nebraska, Memphis, Arkansas, Mississippi State, San Diego State, Appalachian State, BYU, Georgia Tech, Tulsa, Wyoming, Western Michigan, Temple, North Carolina, Houston, Troy, Minnesota, Iowa, Louisiana Tech, Syracuse, Arizona, Army, Colorado State, Michigan State, Maryland, Toledo, UCLA

I am kind of surprised that Minnesota isn't ranked in the preseason. I think they'll surprise in the west finishing second behind Wisky

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
PSU is properly rated. When you have a QB that performed like that and maybe the best RB in the country, best TE in the country and the talent they have coming back. They should be expected to be good.

I agree on Texas.
Amen. People forget that they had a new OC last year - Joe Moorman - and things absolutely took off after the Minnesota close call. Moorman didn't go anywhere, the players are back, so the offense will be even more explosive.
No better run-pass option QB-RB duo in memory than McSorley and Barkley.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
That has nothing to do with my post.

Losing to ISU has just as big of impact on Iowa's bowl chances as any other loss.
You're either a ******* moron or lying. You really believe that Hok fans would consider all those losses equally bad and not look at the ISU game as a game they should have won more than the others?

jfc.jpg

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
You're either a ******* moron or lying. You really believe that Hok fans would consider all those losses equally bad and not look at the ISU game as a game they should have won more than the others?

jfc.jpg

Your original post said your ideal scenario would be Iowa ending up with 5 wins, including a loss to ISU that costs the Hawks a bowl game.

Not sure a loss during Week 2 can cost Iowa a bowl game.

You didn't mention one thing about the Iowa fan base.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Yeah. I'm not dismissing Texas, but I think we should wait and see on them. Tom Herman will be successful in Austin but I don't know how his philosophy squares up with Charlie Strong's. There could be a lot of round holes and square pegs in that program this season.

You encompassed a lot of my thoughts about UT expectations for 2017. This poll, plus a few other forecasts I've seen this summer appear overboard for an immediate Texas resurgence.

Herman seems like a smart hire, but will it happen that quickly? My gut says, tap the brakes.

Texas is coming off 3 straight sub-.500 seasons. Prior that that, UT hadn't had three consecutive losing seasons since 1954-56. That does not suggest an overnight turnaround.

Rome wasn't rebuilt in a day — not even in Texas.