Prohm Defenders

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
1. Can CyTwins, et al, still use the , "It's their Superbowl" excuse next year when JorBo is gone?
2. And Nunge put up a double-double playing only 19 minutes !!!
3. Fran is 4-2 and his kid is guaranteed to graduate with a winning record vs us.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The really sad part of that tonight's game was actually a pretty good offensive performance from ISU. They were shooting it way better than usual and still got smoked.

And as far as "Prohm is an elite recruiter" goes, I have to wonder if the people saying that are high on something. One 4 star top 100 kid per class and a bunch of average 3 stars is not impressive.

Yep. Some people have built up a myth in their head about Prohm as a great recruiter. That is quite an exaggeration. In reality he has landed some good players but has been very inconsistent. For instance, last years class was a failure where we missed on three out of four high school recruits and the fourth is a role player. That missed class has really set the program back.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What are the expectations for Iowa State in basketball? Tournament appearances each year? Tournament championships every couple years? Fast, exciting basketball? Turning out NBA players? Beating in-state rivals? I honestly don’t know what the expectations should be.

Top to bottom, the Big 12 has some serious coaching talent and Prohm’s resume is 9th out of 10 and is ahead of only Boynton. Depending on your expectations each year, Prohm might check one of your boxes.

Consistently making the tourney, top half of the conference.

I'd align it along football where it's to a place where getting to a bowl and top half of the conference are the general expectation.

Maybe have a down year here and there and have a year like this year in football occasionally too where things align right.

For a P5/P6 program, that shouldn't be too much.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
Watching us try to box out EUI last night was very frustrating. They continually moved us around where ever they wanted. We have to be the weakest team in D1 basketball(with the possible exception of Solo). Do I remember correctly, did CSP bring in a buddy of his to be the strength and conditioning coach during the past offseason? If so another fail and waste of money.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Of course you are allowed. You don't need my permission. But if that's your goal then lets talk about his coaching abilities, the pluses and minuses that he brings to the table, and perhaps compare him to some of our coaches from the past for context. But lets not pretend that is what this thread is. It's an angry mob after an ugly loss to a rival we have been better than for a decade, but who is in the middle of their dream season.

His coaching abilities are clearly lacking. He brings way more negatives than positives to the table. He was handed an excellent program by the previous coach and ran it into the ground. He compares more closely to McDermott than our better coaches like Hoiberg, Floyd, and Eustachy.

Reactions: Lewey24 and nickcyv

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Prohm is a good to better than good recruiter. But until he hires an assistant to run all the x's & o's we will never be good. He might be the worst in the country at actual basketball coaching. Again, last night, 5 second call on a BLOB play out of a timeout. Inexcusable. Have we ever scored on an out of bounds play? Have we ever tried? I rarely even see a play happening?

And until he demands our players play defense and rebound or they don't play, we won't be good. Zero effort on that end. I will say Harris looked promising on that end last night. But in all 3 games, our guards allowing dribble penetration over and over against subpar talent is ridiculous, Players should be benched. Close outs are too slow, help side rotation is too slow. It is just effort stuff. That is what is frustrating. I get that we are young and new, but effort can still be there.

Unfortunately those 2 things aren't going to happen, so he will continue to be a subpar coach with pretty good talent.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Yep. Some people have built up a myth in their head about Prohm as a great recruiter. That is quite an exaggeration. In reality he has landed some good players but has been very inconsistent. For instance, last years class was a failure where we missed on three out of four high school recruits and the fourth is a role player. That missed class has really set the program back.

Worse yet, ISU isn’t really developing the players that do stick around. Guys either transfer (Lewis) or they regress to the point where it looks like they need a redshirt (Conditt).

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
His coaching abilities are clearly lacking. He brings way more negatives than positives to the table. He was handed an excellent program by the previous coach and ran it into the ground. He compares more closely to McDermott than our better coaches like Hoiberg, Floyd, and Eustachy.

McDermott is a much better coach than Prohm...and probably Floyd and Hoiberg as well. Eustachy was the best coach we have had.

Reactions: Cyclad

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The last three years in conference play Prohm has been...
2018: 4-14 (1 player on a NBA roster now & #56 recruiting class)
2019: 9-9 ( 2 players on a NBA roster now with a future lottery pick & #28 recruiting class)
2020: 5-13 (with a NBA lottery pick & #56 recruiting class)
2021: On his way to another losing record. (save this message if you believe otherwise)

100% this. What other evidence do people want to see?

If you take out Garza and line up Iowa player for player, they aren’t more talented than we are. It’s that Fran puts in a system where they actually play together and thrive. When has Prohm done that?? Never.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Watching us try to box out EUI last night was very frustrating. They continually moved us around where ever they wanted. We have to be the weakest team in D1 basketball(with the possible exception of Solo). Do I remember correctly, did CSP bring in a buddy of his to be the strength and conditioning coach during the past offseason? If so another fail and waste of money.

I didn't come away last night with the impression that Solo is strong.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I will say I was honestly pretty happy with how we played last night. That said we still lost by almost 30. Iowa is really good but that is still not an acceptable point to be in.

Not even close to the worst shape.
You forgot where McDermott left us...
I really think there is some revisionist history with McDermott. He was here four years. He was never good and he was bad all four years. Prohm does have the advantage of the three better years but those three teams had at least 4 NBA players on them. The key though why Prohm is going to leave it worse is because his down years are going to be worse. It also leaves the impression that only Fred can make us successful.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Of course you are allowed. You don't need my permission. But if that's your goal then lets talk about his coaching abilities, the pluses and minuses that he brings to the table, and perhaps compare him to some of our coaches from the past for context. But lets not pretend that is what this thread is. It's an angry mob after an ugly loss to a rival we have been better than for a decade, but who is in the middle of their dream season.

I see a lot more facts than pitchforks in this thread. Do you really think this is about the loss to Iowa? That was expected all week. It’s more about the loss to South Dakota State. And Florida A&M. And Milwaukee. And a trend towards a 3rd terrible conference record in 4 years. But sure, let’s talk pluses and minuses. What are his pluses that translate into wins? Let’s talk about this post.

The last three years in conference play Prohm has been...
2018: 4-14 (1 player on a NBA roster & #56 recruiting class)
2019: 9-9 ( 2 players on a NBA roster with a future lottery pick & #28 recruiting class)
2020: 5-13 (with a NBA lottery pick & #56 recruiting class)
2021: On his way to another losing record. (save this message if you believe otherwise)

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Because Matt Campbell is watching how we treat him.
I personally always love it when my dead weight co-workers get to sit around making all sorts of money while doing a crap job and killing the name of our company. The message any coach should get is that being on the wrong end of multiple records is not acceptable.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It's best to accept that we're going to have losing records for the rest of Prohm's stay in Ames. He would have changed his staff up awhile ago if he was at all capable of being aware of his short comings. He's not, so he didn't. Enjoy the tire fire folks.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
love it.

like I said earlier, not accepting mediocrity, but a college coach’s job is to ultimately prepare his kids for the next level. Prohm is consistently sending his players to the NBA. No scandals, fits ISU culture and is relatively cheap. Let’s play out the season and see what next year brings.

A college coach’s job is to win games. A G League coaches job is to get guys into the league.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron