ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Yo -

So I just picked up a 6-pack mixer at Hy-Vee of different pumpkin beers. My goal is to try every pumpkin beer out there this season and do a power rankings at the end. I plan on documenting this journey right here. I know. I am a loser.

What I bought today:

Shipyard Pumkinhead
O'Fallon Pumpkin Beer
Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat
New Belgium Pumpkick
Jack-O Traveler Shandy

Also threw in a Shiner Octoberfest, just cuz I freaking love it.

I've already had a Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin this season. Have yet to have me a Sam Adams Pumpkin Ale (although I really, really love those).

What pumpkin beers do I need to try?

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I'm drinking a Saranac Pumpkin Ale right now. Pretty good, pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Macloney

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Just downed a Shipyard. That is legit. Really, really good. Right up there with O'Fallon IMO.
The Pumpkin Head is good, but the Smashed Pumpkin from Shipyard, in my opinion, is superior. I also like Elysian Night Owl Pumpkin ale

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
Just downed a Shipyard. That is legit. Really, really good. Right up there with O'Fallon IMO.

CW,

This is my favorite time of the year as I love Pumpkin Beers. I have a little different selection down here in TX but here goes my list that I enjoy:

UFO Pumpkin (Harpoon Brewing Co out of Boston) - very good
Punkin Ale (Dogfish Head) - very good
Magic Hat Pumpkin Ale - drinking right now, nothing special
Wasatch Pumpkin - very good
Pumking - Southern Tier - great

There was one I had a few years back that tasted EXACTLY like Pumpkin pie, and I have racked my brain trying to remember what it was called :(.

I'll join you on this journey!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I did something similar last Fall, and Schlafly Pumpkin Ale was the best one that I tried. I haven't seen it in stores yet, but I would definitely recommend picking some up if you see it.

http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/pumpkin-ale/

My husband and I got some of this somewhere driving through Missouri. He really liked it. it made me a little sickish after half a bottle, but I am not much of a beer drinker. It always just sits kind of heavy in my stomach no matter what kind it is so pumpkin probably wasn't a great idea.

sqfuzzy

Sep 1, 2012
I did something similar last Fall, and Schlafly Pumpkin Ale was the best one that I tried. I haven't seen it in stores yet, but I would definitely recommend picking some up if you see it.

http://schlafly.com/beers/styles/pumpkin-ale/

Picked one up at a Cedar Rapids Hy-Vee so they are out there! Very strong ale and pretty good taste. I actually liked the Pumpkick from New Belgium more than the Schlafly.

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
Others have mentioned Schlafly's. I would recommend this as well. The wife first tried this while she was living in St. Louis and we both like it even though we normally have different preferences on beer. I'm glad to see it is finally available in Iowa.

timhisu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2010
I love Pumpkin Ales and have tried all the ones I can find. The best (IMO) are:

Steven's Point Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale - difficult to find. In white 4-packs at most Hy-Vee's starting very soon.

Southern Tier Pumpking - not available in Iowa unfortunately but I've had 2 bombers of it this summer already (one bought in Chicago and another in DC)

Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale - just below the two above in quality but MUCH easier to get. Should be on shelves at most Hy-Vee's that care about their craft beer selection

Reactions: sandiego

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Shipyard and Schlafly are excellent choices. Dogfish Head makes a good one, too.

Remember to put cinnamon-sugar on the rim of your glass. You can thank me later.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
CW,

This is my favorite time of the year as I love Pumpkin Beers. I have a little different selection down here in TX but here goes my list that I enjoy:

UFO Pumpkin (Harpoon Brewing Co out of Boston) - very good
Punkin Ale (Dogfish Head) - very good
Magic Hat Pumpkin Ale - drinking right now, nothing special
Wasatch Pumpkin - very good
Pumking - Southern Tier - great

There was one I had a few years back that tasted EXACTLY like Pumpkin pie, and I have racked my brain trying to remember what it was called :(.

I'll join you on this journey!

Outstanding! Sounds like we have similar taste! Fall beers are my favorite too. I'll keep an eye out for some of those that you mentioned.