Purdy for MVP?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I know it sounds crazy to talk about Purdy being a possible NFL MVP, and yes I know I'm just a little bit biased, but hear me out. Obviously, it's a huge long shot, but I’m going to make a case why Brock Purdy should be considered.

It’s widely accepted that the QB position is the most important position in football, especially when it comes to the NFL. As such, QB is the highest paid position in the NFL by far. It's interesting to note that successful NFL teams have QB’s who are outperforming or at least meeting the level of their enormous contracts, and the unsuccessful teams all have QB’s who are not performing up to the level of their contracts.

As the LAST pick in the NFL draft, Brock was signed to a 3-year contract at a salary that could be described as the NFL’s minimum wage for QB’s. NFL QB's are making around $40 million/year. Brock made less than $1 million last year and around $1 million this year. And yet it’s mindblowing that he has the highest QB rating in the NFL since he became a starter midway through last season. He still has yet to lose a game as an NFL starter (note: I’m not counting the NFC championship game when Purdy was knocked out of the game with an injury in the 1st quarter).

If there were only some way to quantify the degree to which a QB is outperforming their contract, Brock would be setting a record right now that might never be broken. And because of this fact, the 49ers have the salary space to keep several of the best players in the league on their roster (e.g., Samuel, Bosa, McCaffrey, Kittle, Warner, etc.). In fact, even after the 49ers just signed Bosa to the NFL’s most expensive contract for a non-QB, the 49ers still lead the league in salary cap space. That is freaking unbelievable. Specifically, I heard today the 49ers still have $49.5 million that they can spend THIS SEASON to go out and get yet another star player, which is crazy considering the 49ers already have the most talented roster in the NFL.

On top of all this, the 49er players and coaches love Purdy as a person. They love his humility and how he has worked his way up from being Mr. Irrelevant to the commander in the huddle. They even voted him to be a team captain.

Based on all this, it could be argued that Brock Purdy is already the most valuable player in the NFL right now. Regardless, he’s the most important reason why everyone in the 49ers organization is going to be fitted for for a ring at the end of this season.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Purdy has had a win and thrown 2 or more TDs in his first 6 regular season starts. He is the only player in NFL history to accomplish this.

Reactions: jsb

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just tell them Kittle is his 4th option after Aiyuk, Samuel and CMC.
Kittle is only good because he is on a good team.

I only kid, he is good, as is Purdy. There is no question that that offense is a good fit for both of them but there were a lot of players who weren't as successful in it because they weren't as good.

Note that Kittle started having a lot more success when Purdy was the QB finding him.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I’ve been informed by multiple Hawk fans that he’s only good because he’s on a good team.
Well, I know two 1st round (#3 overall) draft picks who would tell you Brock is very good. One of them got traded because he had no chance to play ahead of Brock, and the other wears a baseball cap and gets to watch Brock from the sidelines.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Well, I know two 1st round (#3 overall) draft picks who would tell you Brock is very good. One of them got traded because he had no chance to play ahead of Brock, and the other wears a baseball cap and gets to watch Brock from the sidelines.
I’m not sure. I feel Hawk fans must know more about NFL QBs than an NFLs front office. Maybe it’s a toss up.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I’m not sure. I feel Hawk fans must know more about NFL QBs than an NFLs front office. Maybe it’s a toss up.
Iowa players had success in the NFL but QBs sucked. I still hear Iowa fans complaining about Chuck Long not getting enough playing time in the NFL.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I’ve been informed by multiple Hawk fans that he’s only good because he’s on a good team.
Maybe it's a good team because they have good players? Of course we CFers can agree on that - but you can't reason with Hok Logic (oh, and I know - using Hok and Logic together is an oxymoron).

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It's Monday morning, little early to be hitting it hard already don't you think? LOL

Look I know we as Cyclone fans are giddy over the success Purdy has had so far but it's Week 1, lay off the Kool-Aid a bit and let the season play out some. This is the same NFL where Trent Dilfer once won a Super Bowl. Sometimes guys are just in the right place at the right time and that's taking nothing away from Brock as he's made the most of his opportunity with some great play but it's a small sample size so far. You put Purdy on a bad roster with a poor OL and less talent at the skill positions and I don't think he looks as good as he does right now no would a lot of quarterbacks. I'm just going to enjoy the ride for now and accolades will happen if they are earned but I don't think anyone could sit here with confidence and list any award rankings after week 1.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
It's Monday morning, little early to be hitting it hard already don't you think? LOL

Look I know we as Cyclone fans are giddy over the success Purdy has had so far but it's Week 1, lay off the Kool-Aid a bit and let the season play out some. This is the same NFL where Trent Dilfer once won a Super Bowl. Sometimes guys are just in the right place at the right time and that's taking nothing away from Brock as he's made the most of his opportunity with some great play but it's a small sample size so far. You put Purdy on a bad roster with a poor OL and less talent at the skill positions and I don't think he looks as good as he does right now no would a lot of quarterbacks. I'm just going to enjoy the ride for now and accolades will happen if they are earned but I don't think anyone could sit here with confidence and list any award rankings after week 1.

Not basing this on one game. Basing it on half of last season plus yesterday. I already said it's a long shot, but a case can be made.

And all this "Purdy isn't that good, he's just lucky to play in such a great system" talk is bullsh*t. The same could have been said for Montana, Young, Elway, and Brady.

Purdy's ability to process information under great duress incredibly fast, to throw accurately, to extend plays with his mobility, and make a positive out of a negative is probably the best in the league. His TD/interception ratio is ridiculous, he has the highest QB rating of all NFL QB's since he's been a starter, and he's the only NFL QB in history to win his first 6 regular season starts and throw for at least 2 TD's every game. Heck, after the Trey Lance gamble, you could argue that Brock has saved GM John Lynch's job.

Yeah, it's way early to talk about MVP. I'm just stating that a case can be made for Purdy.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
As of right now, Brock Purdy is +5000 to win the NFL's Most Valuable Player award in 2023, which ranks him 15th in the league.

Put down $100 and win $5,000. :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron