Purdy for MVP?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Dallas is Dallas and even if they had Diggs, when push comes to shove, the Cowboys always pee down their leg.

Too many people are trying to make excuses of why Purdy is successful when they think he shouldn't be, as great as McCaffery is, along with Kettle, Samuels and rest of them, its Purdy that they need playing at a high level to win, the playoff game in Philly last year proved that.
I agree with your take on needing Purdy to play well to be successful, but as far as the Philly game, all it proved is that the Niners need at least one healthy QB to have a chance to be successful. It is pretty tough to win at all - say nothing about against a playoff team - when you literally have no QB.

Reactions: Urbandale2013

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
my take on the system QB talk... it isn't an easy system to run. but if you are able to run it a high level, it looks easy. it is not easy to quickly process which of your star weapons is actually open and has the best chance for YAC. its not like brock is just mashing buttons playing madden and has the game set to rookie mode. he is playing this offense at a really high level.
The guys that actually know football think he's incredible. Post game show last night was all about him, including Andrew Luck. They even called him a top 5 QB next year if he keeps this up.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Trevon Diggs being out for Dallas will be huge in that game. I would have a hard time calling a favorite for that game before but now SF definitely has the edge.
They brought in Gilmore in the offseason and he has played well. Plus their safeties are really good. I don't think there will be a big drop off.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The guys that actually know football think he's incredible. Post game show last night was all about him, including Andrew Luck. They even called him a top 5 QB next year if he keeps this up.
Do you mean that the experts actually know more about this than the son of some old Niner beat writer who thinks he is a journalist himself?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
No one gave Patrick Mahomes guff when he had Kelce and Hill on the same team, and those two have incredible yac.
Mahomes gets a pass because he was a first round choice, and not the last pick in the draft. There were a lot of people last year picking the Chiefs to fall off without Hill on the team, and offensively they were better.

Everyone loves the underdog like Purdy, until he starts to outperform others that just have better talent. Bigger body, stronger arm, played at a better program, one the Hesman or some award like that.
They all sit there and wonder "how does some small kid from ISU have so much success while "better" QB's struggle?" Their answer to that is to look past Purdy and just say, "it's the team, and any QB could do the same,"

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't, I kinda feel like he's a media darling right now. It is more like the tavern hawk type fans that hate on him.
Multiple local radio shows today talking about how the narrative is he's doing well because of all the weapons.

National media was calling for Darnold to play after Purdy missed a couple passes early on last year.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
They just don't like a guy breaking the mold of who should be an NFL starter historically and as far as measures.
I think they just can't accept that the NFL machinery of journalists, analysts, and prognosticators maybe don't actually know that much and are just going around eating each other's crap.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Multiple local radio shows today talking about how the narrative is he's doing well because of all the weapons.
No QB can win on a really bad team with a bad offensive scheme, but even on good teams, there are lots of ways for QBs to lose games (fumbled snaps, taking sacks, bad reads, etc,) Average fans don't see mistakes avoided. The good ones just make it look easy. It took me several Superbowls to admit Brady's success wasn't all due to Belichick. A great point guard makes the easy play rather than the ESPN highlight. It isn't obvious how good he is until you look at the stat sheet.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az

National media was calling for Darnold to play after Purdy missed a couple passes early on last year.
Really?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I think there are a few things that make Purdy a target for doubters. You could use any of these as evidence either way in a rational discussion.

1 - He fits perfectly into the scheme he's playing in so it's hard to tell how much he's managing vs the team putting him in the right position to be successful.

2 - They have a lot of offensive weapons that can bail him out.

3 - He's had a ton of missed picks over the 8 games and people still count those against him.

4 - He doesn't have the biggest arm.

5 - He doesn't have the physical traits or play style you would typically associate with a star QB.

In the end, he's managing the game very well, making some good reads, and doing enough to keep their offense moving. He's never going to look like the most natural QB and he'll have some games where he probably doesn't look like he belongs, but he did a lot last night against 87% blitz rate to show he can still be successful even under a ton of pressure.

Football evolves over time. The QB position is no longer about hero ball and making dramatic home run throws several times a game. Heck, Josh Allen can wow the best of them with his jaw dropping plays, and then he throws 3 picks and his team loses. Today's successful QB's are about being efficient and not making mistakes, and I'm not sure there's anyone better at that right now than Brock Purdy.

1 - He fits perfectly into the scheme he's playing in so it's hard to tell how much he's managing vs the team putting him in the right position to be successful.
Purdy plays in a "scheme" which requires the QB to process what's in front of him extremely quickly, make the read, deliver the ball accurately, and not make stupid mistakes. Not only does Purdy do all that extremely well, there are several times a game when he makes something positive happen when there's nothing there. He's not a game manager.

This comment, which I hear from many so-called experts, kills me. The same could be said of ANY great QB. Heck, Joe Montana had Jerry Rice (Hall of Fame) and Roger Craig (Hall of Fame) to bail him out his entire career, but nobody ever said Montana was just a game manager.

3 - He's had a ton of missed picks over the 8 games and people still count those against him.
A ton? Really? Yes, he's had several, but so has every other NFL QB.

Purdy was criticized for hitting on only 1 of 4 deep passes against the Rams. NFL QB's on average hit on 34% of deep passes, but Brock is criticized based on a sample size of 4 passes. (It's funny how nobody mentions his 80% completion rate on intermediate passes which is historically high for an NFL QB.) The funny thing is that his 3 deep ball misses were because he overthrew them, which is awfully strange for someone who doesn't have the biggest arm.

5 - He doesn't have the physical traits or play style you would typically associate with a star QB.
Which physical traits are you referring to? The NFL is not a Punt, Pass & Kick contest. If it was, Josh Allen would be in the Hall of Fame. The mental ability is just as important as the physical ability, and there aren't many NFL QB's who can process information, make a decision, and deliver a throw under great duress as quickly and accurately as Brock Purdy.

The QB that Brock beat last night was a #1 overall draft pick. The QB who got traded because he had no chance of playing ahead of Brock was a #3 overall draft pick. And the backup QB who gets to watch Brock from the sideline was a #3 overall draft pick. But some people just can't accept the fact that Brock is a great QB. I guess some folks are a lot slower to pick up on things than others.

In the end, he's managing the game very well, making some good reads, and doing enough to keep their offense moving. He's never going to look like the most natural QB and he'll have some games where he probably doesn't look like he belongs, but he did a lot last night against 87% blitz rate to show he can still be successful even under a ton of pressure.

Reactions: bos

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think they just can't accept that the NFL machinery of journalists, analysts, and prognosticators maybe don't actually know that much and are just going around eating each other's crap.
Well they would have been right minus a few guys that are good regardless of measures.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
There’s a ton of Iowa State bias here so this will get flamed I’m sure, but Purdy still shows a lot of what plagued him at Iowa State. He had a couple Ill-advised passes that should have been picked, and throws off his back foot a bunch still. He’s definitely gotten better, but he’s not MVP caliber. With that being said, he’s almost perfect for that scheme and playing under the best offensive mind alive definitely helps

Reactions: drmwevr08

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
He’s definitely gotten better, but he’s not MVP caliber
A lot of MVP voting is dependent on team success. If Purdy leads the 49ers to a #1 seed, he should be in the conversation. Someone posted a video saying he's an 18:1 pick for MVP right now.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Football evolves over time. The QB position is no longer about hero ball and making dramatic home run throws several times a game. Heck, Josh Allen can wow the best of them with his jaw dropping plays, and then he throws 3 picks and his team loses. Today's successful QB's are about being efficient and not making mistakes, and I'm not sure there's anyone better at that right now than Brock Purdy.

Purdy plays in a "scheme" which requires the QB to process what's in front of him extremely quickly, make the read, deliver the ball accurately, and not make stupid mistakes. Not only does Purdy do all that extremely well, there are several times a game when he makes something positive happen when there's nothing there. He's not a game manager.

This comment, which I hear from many so-called experts, kills me. The same could be said of ANY great QB. Heck, Joe Montana had Jerry Rice (Hall of Fame) and Roger Craig (Hall of Fame) to bail him out his entire career, but nobody ever said Montana was just a game manager.

A ton? Really? Yes, he's had several, but so has every other NFL QB.

Purdy was criticized for hitting on only 1 of 4 deep passes against the Rams. NFL QB's on average hit on 34% of deep passes, but Brock is criticized based on a sample size of 4 passes. (It's funny how nobody mentions his 80% completion rate on intermediate passes which is historically high for an NFL QB.) The funny thing is that his 3 deep ball misses were because he overthrew them, which is awfully strange for someone who doesn't have the biggest arm.

Which physical traits are you referring to? The NFL is not a Punt, Pass & Kick contest. If it was, Josh Allen would be in the Hall of Fame. The mental ability is just as important as the physical ability, and there aren't many NFL QB's who can process information, make a decision, and deliver a throw under great duress as quickly and accurately as Brock Purdy.

The QB that Brock beat last night was a #1 overall draft pick. The QB who got traded because he had no chance of playing ahead of Brock was a #3 overall draft pick. And the backup QB who gets to watch Brock from the sideline was a #3 overall draft pick. But some people just can't accept the fact that Brock is a great QB. I guess some folks are a lot slower to pick up on things than others.

I wasn't trying to imply that I think all those, I was listing what people keep saying, right or wrong.

Reactions: bos

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
There’s a ton of Iowa State bias here so this will get flamed I’m sure, but Purdy still shows a lot of what plagued him at Iowa State. He had a couple Ill-advised passes that should have been picked, and throws off his back foot a bunch still. He’s definitely gotten better, but he’s not MVP caliber. With that being said, he’s almost perfect for that scheme and playing under the best offensive mind alive definitely helps
He is fading and throwing off his back foot at times, but he‘s doing it correctly (at the correct times, feeling pressure REALLY well), unlike what he did at Iowa State, where ”throwing off his back foot” was his most common trait on any type of throw.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I wasn't trying to imply that I think all those, I was listing what people keep saying, right or wrong.
My bad. I didn't mean to imply that these are your beliefs. I'm just so tired of hearing these arguments from Brock haters who refuse to give him the credit he deserves.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
My bad. I didn't mean to imply that these are your beliefs. I'm just so tired of hearing these arguments from Brock haters who refuse to give him the credit he deserves.
Oh I understand. Unfortunately, you can find "reasons" for just about any side of any argument. I figure as long as Brock keeps playing like he is, the doubters will only look more and more stupid.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

Huh? I think there is some confusion here