Purdy for MVP?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That first TD pass was elite, basically had two unblocked coming at him and he drops a dime while packpedaling.

The back shoulder pass to Deebo was perfect too

The best part about the first one was that he was throwing off his back foot and spun away from the hit he was about to get.
If you watch Purdy that is his best skill, he knows how to slide in the pocket and still get rid of the ball without taking a direct hit. While at the same time making an accurate throw. His ability is on a level of a player like Mahomes, without the scrambling. He plays like Brady did with the Pats when he was still young enough to move.

Reactions: Bigman38

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
narratives are what those particular media folks do. honestly, i think there is way more positive stories and spin goin on about him than negative.
Yes tons of positives. Pointing a small he might need to do this or that is not saying he sucks

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Pump the brakes. He won't get it over Parsons and defensive guys don't win it. He's gonna have to start putting up crazy numbers if he wants to take the shine away from the typical guys like Mahomes.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think there are a few things that make Purdy a target for doubters. You could use any of these as evidence either way in a rational discussion. These are what people are saying, right or wrong.

1 - He fits perfectly into the scheme he's playing in so it's hard to tell how much he's managing vs the team putting him in the right position to be successful.

2 - They have a lot of offensive weapons that can bail him out.

3 - He's had a ton of missed picks over the 8 games and people still count those against him.

4 - He doesn't have the biggest arm.

5 - He doesn't have the physical traits or play style you would typically associate with a star QB.

In the end, he's managing the game very well, making some good reads, and doing enough to keep their offense moving. He's never going to look like the most natural QB and he'll have some games where he probably doesn't look like he belongs, but he did a lot last night against 87% blitz rate to show he can still be successful even under a ton of pressure.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think there are a few things that make Purdy a target for doubters. You could use any of these as evidence either way in a rational discussion.

1 - He fits perfectly into the scheme he's playing in so it's hard to tell how much he's managing vs the team putting him in the right position to be successful.

2 - They have a lot of offensive weapons that can bail him out.

3 - He's had a ton of missed picks over the 8 games and people still count those against him.

4 - He doesn't have the biggest arm.

5 - He doesn't have the physical traits or play style you would typically associate with a star QB.

In the end, he's managing the game very well, making some good reads, and doing enough to keep their offense moving. He's never going to look like the most natural QB and he'll have some games where he probably doesn't look like he belongs, but he did a lot last night against 87% blitz rate to show he can still be successful even under a ton of pressure.
Pretty much every QB throws ball(s) in every game that "should have been" picked but they got lucky. Purdy is no different. Just like pitchers miss on pitches and not every one of those pitches leave the park.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Pretty much every QB throws ball(s) in every game that "should have been" picked but they got lucky. Purdy is no different. Just like pitchers miss on pitches and not every one of those pitches leave the park.
Absolutely, do not disagree at all. I don't know if there is a stat that shows near picks per game or per attempt - it would be very interesting to see across QBs.

Reactions: VeloClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
As for the comments about defenders dropping interceptions... dropped interceptions aren't a stat and if they were, Patrick Mahomes would be the leader, and he's ELITE. Also, Josh Allen is considered elite and he's actually a turnover machine. I think that's a dumb argument to make, and Brock's haters are putting him insanely high on a pedestal where he now has to make a Super Bowl before anyone will say he's any good.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Pump the brakes. He won't get it over Parsons and defensive guys don't win it. He's gonna have to start putting up crazy numbers if he wants to take the shine away from the typical guys like Mahomes.
Looking over the 49ers schedule, they are going to be favored in everyone except their trip to the Eagles in early Dec. They get both Dallas and Cincinnati at home, so outside of playing poorly and losing to someone like Baltimore at home or at Washington, they might not lose a game. That Philly game on Dec 3rd will determine home field in the NFC which will be huge.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
McCaffrey should be MVP if it is anyone from the 49ers.
Saw a stat where if you would've rolled over your winnings on $100 from 12 games ago on his anytime TD prop, you'd be at 75k right now.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
One thing that drives me nuts is the 'his guys get yards after catch' argument. The reason they get so many yards after catch is that Brock hits them perfectly in stride most of the time, a lot of the time he throws it so they actually have to speed up to catch it. There is a reason the yac weren't happening with Jimmy or Trey.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Looking over the 49ers schedule, they are going to be favored in everyone except their trip to the Eagles in early Dec. They get both Dallas and Cincinnati at home, so outside of playing poorly and losing to someone like Baltimore at home or at Washington, they might not lose a game. That Philly game on Dec 3rd will determine home field in the NFC which will be huge.
Trevon Diggs being out for Dallas will be huge in that game. I would have a hard time calling a favorite for that game before but now SF definitely has the edge.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Trevon Diggs being out for Dallas will be huge in that game. I would have a hard time calling a favorite for that game before but now SF definitely has the edge.
Dallas has been inventing ways to screw the pooch and lose games for the last decade +. I am not overly concerned for that game at all. And it's in Santa Clara to boot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And I will add this as well, every QB throws balls that are the perfect throw and shouldn't be intercepted but due to any number of reasons like receivers falling down, running the wrong route or botching the catch they end up being intercepted due to no fault of the QB. Are we taking those away from their stats while we are adding the "should have been intercepted" ones?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Dallas is Dallas and even if they had Diggs, when push comes to shove, the Cowboys always pee down their leg.

Too many people are trying to make excuses of why Purdy is successful when they think he shouldn't be, as great as McCaffery is, along with Kettle, Samuels and rest of them, its Purdy that they need playing at a high level to win, the playoff game in Philly last year proved that.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
my take on the system QB talk... it isn't an easy system to run. but if you are able to run it a high level, it looks easy. it is not easy to quickly process which of your star weapons is actually open and has the best chance for YAC. its not like brock is just mashing buttons playing madden and has the game set to rookie mode. he is playing this offense at a really high level.

Reactions: LindenCy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
One thing that drives me nuts is the 'his guys get yards after catch' argument. The reason they get so many yards after catch is that Brock hits them perfectly in stride most of the time, a lot of the time he throws it so they actually have to speed up to catch it. There is a reason the yac weren't happening with Jimmy or Trey.
No one gave Patrick Mahomes guff when he had Kelce and Hill on the same team, and those two have incredible yac.