Info: Quick statement on security issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
So is it safe to view on my Blackberry? I don't want to mess with it on my laptop, as it's a work laptop, but I haven't had any problems with it on my phone yet.

Good choice. I totally hosed my work laptop yesterday after visiting. Tough way to start a Monday morning without it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Just blocked again kinoprivate.phnet.us, a program that wants to download. Why is this still showing up after days?

The only way to control this HOT item is to have every program that wants to download to be posed to the user if he wants to download. Then avoid this download.

Have you contacted these phnet people? Can you put a server block on this address for the rest of us?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Just blocked again kinoprivate.phnet.us, a program that wants to download. Why is this still showing up after days?

The only way to control this HOT item is to have every program that wants to download to be posed to the user if he wants to download. Then avoid this download.

Have you contacted these phnet people? Can you put a server block on this address for the rest of us?

I'm getting the big Red warning from chrome about this site. Never seen this before. Odd thing is, I don't see it when hitting "New Posts". Only when accessing a specific forum like "Feedback" or trying to read a thread.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Same thing for me.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'm getting the malware warning (pinoprivate or whatever) virtually every attempted click.
Trouble in river city.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I use the NoScript plugin for Firefox. It blocks any ******* such as flash, java, etc that try to access your computer. I would recommend trying it out, just for a little bit. It will really shock you when you first use it and you see how many sites and ******* are trying to access your computer at any given time. For example right now on this page all of the following are trying to run ******* on this page:

google-analytics.com, 2mdn.net, googlesyndication.com, yardbarker.com, widgetserver,com, doubleclick.net, and of course cyclonefanatic.com.

The only problem is that you have to whitelist legitimate sites that use those plugins such as youtube for videos or other things to make them work. It's probably not for everybody all the time, but I'd still recommend trying it once. You can always remove it if you don't like it.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I use the NoScript plugin for Firefox. It blocks any ******* such as flash, java, etc that try to access your computer. I would recommend trying it out, just for a little bit. It will really shock you when you first use it and you see how many sites and ******* are trying to access your computer at any given time. For example right now on this page all of the following are trying to run ******* on this page:

google-analytics.com, 2mdn.net, googlesyndication.com, yardbarker.com, widgetserver,com, doubleclick.net, and of course cyclonefanatic.com.

The only problem is that you have to whitelist legitimate sites that use those plugins such as youtube for videos or other things to make them work. It's probably not for everybody all the time, but I'd still recommend trying it once. You can always remove it if you don't like it.

FYI - there's a version for Chrome called NotScripts. Just installed it and seems to be working well.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Well could you please inform me how i can get rid of the virus that i received by just coming to this site? I have tried several things to get rid of it and nothing is working so anything you can tell me would be nice...

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Some of you that are getting alot of issues. Do me a favor. Go to Start>Run. Type in regedit and hit enter. ****MAKE NO EDITS, you can further pooch your machine if you dont know what you are doing****When that window pops up, use the tree to the left. Go to HKEY_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version and click on Run. You will see a list of stuff on the right. In alot of cases you will see a pointer to a weird filename 43ghjg43j.exe, stuff like that. If you feel comfortable, you can send me a screen shot or type up a list of whats in there and I can tell you if you have any junk running from there.
Do the same from:
HKEY_Current_User>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version

What happens alot of the time is that spyware removers will grab most of the problem but not all since these things can rename themselves and rerun on next boot up. It requires the removal of the command in the registry to end the cycle.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Just wanted to put it out there that I'm getting my first "harmful site" alerts today whenever I click on a thread.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I've been on here using the latest Firefox and haven't had any issues. I do run Noscript as one of my extensions though, and highly recommend it to any Firefox users here.

It allows you to choose what can run on any given page and can potentially save you from situations like we're seeing here at CF.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Some of you that are getting alot of issues. Do me a favor. Go to Start>Run. Type in regedit and hit enter. ****MAKE NO EDITS, you can further pooch your machine if you dont know what you are doing****When that window pops up, use the tree to the left. Go to HKEY_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version and click on Run. You will see a list of stuff on the right. In alot of cases you will see a pointer to a weird filename 43ghjg43j.exe, stuff like that. If you feel comfortable, you can send me a screen shot or type up a list of whats in there and I can tell you if you have any junk running from there.
Do the same from:

What happens alot of the time is that spyware removers will grab most of the problem but not all since these things can rename themselves and rerun on next boot up. It requires the removal of the command in the registry to end the cycle.
You are such a nerd. :wink:

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

My software just blocked this also. This is the 1st time it has happen to me.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Thanks bos (and everyone). My issues seem minor, but that is my concern, some kind of remnant. My laptop is new enough it wouldn't take a lot to set it to the factory settings, which obviously I prefer not, but now would be the best time to do so.

IE and FF I don't seem to have any problem. Chrome, except for the big warning to stay away (which I do), the only remaining problem when going to a forum was that it goes to the bottom of the forum to start. It went away earlier yesterday but was doing it again at the end of the day.

Later today I'll do as you suggested.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Do the same from:

This is great advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.