NFL: Raiders to Las Vegas

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The Raiders were locked out of LA and couldn't get a deal done in Oakland.

Las Vegas will be a perfect home for Raider Nation. Glitzy city with a built in base of LA fans ready to make the short drive to sin city.

This is a complete home run for the Raiders

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
We'll see. I won't be surprised if the raiders are near the bottom of attendance for the next couple years

I would be quite surprised. They're a team on the rise talent wise and getting out of that dump in Oakland will bring more casual fans to games. They are going to lose to die hard Oakland locals, but they will more than make up for it with new fans. Not to mention away game fans will show up for sure.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Well, considering Kansas City is a smaller metropolitan area than Las Vegas is, I think your statement is way off base. Not to mention the metro areas of Cleveland, Indianapolis, Nashville, Milwaukee/Green Bay, Jacksonville, New Orleans and Buffalo. Further, Cincinnati only has 10K more people in its metro area, and Pittsburgh 200K, and Charlotte 300K. How many of those struggle with attendance?

And then, just as I got done saying, I wouldn't be surprised at all if people in Los Angeles are more willing to drive to Las Vegas to go to Raiders games than to stay local and go to Chargers games.
So fans from LA are going to drive almost 5 hours to watch the Raiders when they can stay in LA and watch the LA Rams or Chargers... yeah ok

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Nevada legislature committing $750 million for the new stadium is obscene. No way Oakland could have - or should have - done that.
The NFL, led obviously by Jerry Jones - is filtering out "weak" cities like St. Louis, San Diego and Oakland and moving to new places that gives all of them more revenue. It's sick.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So fans from LA are going to drive almost 5 hours to watch the Raiders when they can stay in LA and watch the LA Rams or Chargers... yeah ok
You realize that it's closer for Raiders fans in LA to drive to Vegas than it is to drive to Oakland, right?
L.A. has a sizable Raider fan contingent, leftover from the team's time there. If they haven't given up on them prior to now, they certainly won't when they move closer to L.A.

• Agree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
The Raiders were locked out of LA and couldn't get a deal done in Oakland.

Las Vegas will be a perfect home for Raider Nation. Glitzy city with a built in base of LA fans ready to make the short drive to sin city.

This is a complete home run for the Raiders

Were they locked out or did their plan require public funding? I know where their stadium was to be built, to me a much better site than where the Rams are building. Much more room, better access to freeways and the ability to build a great restuarant/hotel area from ground up nothing is currently there.

Where they are building in Inglewood, they need to remove like 4 blocks to the south and to the west. Not a nice area. And as it stands now it will absolutely suck to get in and out of that place unless they figure out better access to freeways.

But I think the deal breaker was Raiders wanted public money and Rams did not. No way anything gets built in LA with public funds. Staples Center was built with private money (guy who owns LA Kings built it. Now he got the land around the place rather cheaply and has built and continues to build food/entertainment facilities., high rise apartments, etc. So he his making a killing that way.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
You realize that it's closer for Raiders fans in LA to drive to Vegas than it is to drive to Oakland, right?
L.A. has a sizable Raider fan contingent, leftover from the team's time there. If they haven't given up on them prior to now, they certainly won't when they move closer to L.A.

There is a massive commute from LA to Oakland when they are home on Sunday's.
They have a strong following, Vegas is even a bigger draw than Oakland. They will now go up on a Friday or Saturday, just to party in Vegas.

• Agree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Were they locked out or did their plan require public funding? I know where their stadium was to be built, to me a much better site than where the Rams are building. Much more room, better access to freeways and the ability to build a great restuarant/hotel area from ground up nothing is currently there.

Where they are building in Inglewood, they need to remove like 4 blocks to the south and to the west. Not a nice area. And as it stands now it will absolutely suck to get in and out of that place unless they figure out better access to freeways.

But I think the deal breaker was Raiders wanted public money and Rams did not. No way anything gets built in LA with public funds. Staples Center was built with private money (guy who owns LA Kings built it. Now he got the land around the place rather cheaply and has built and continues to build food/entertainment facilities., high rise apartments, etc. So he his making a killing that way.

No, the Chargers/Raiders plan was 100% privately financed as well. The league chose the Rams, though. Chargers were allowed to move second, followed by the Raiders, if the Chargers decided not to. So, yes, the Raiders were effectively locked out of L.A. after the Chargers agreed to move.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

When the San Diego Chargers became the Los Angeles Chargers it locked the Raiders out of LA.

San Diego could've been a possibility for relocation, but Nevada is the place to be.

The Rams and Raiders won the relocation wars. Chargers not so much.

It's rumored the Clippers are trying to build a new arena in Inglewood too. By the new Rams palace.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
No, the Chargers/Raiders plan was 100% privately financed as well. The league chose the Rams, though. Chargers were allowed to move second, followed by the Raiders, if the Chargers decided not to. So, yes, the Raiders were effectively locked out of L.A. after the Chargers agreed to move.
Players, owners, and TV networks all benefit when each of the 32 NLF franchises are in the strongest cities. The Bills would bring in significantly more revenue in Toronto than Buffalo just from corporate dollars alone. The Jaguars would bring in more revenue in London than Jacksonville. Eventually the politics and tradition give way to the dollars since everyone makes more money if the franchises are in the 32 strongest cities.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Nevada legislature committing $750 million for the new stadium is obscene. No way Oakland could have - or should have - done that.
The NFL, led obviously by Jerry Jones - is filtering out "weak" cities like St. Louis, San Diego and Oakland and moving to new places that gives all of them more revenue. It's sick.

A couple of interesting links below:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/193364/percentage-of-ticketing-revenue-in-the-nfl-since-2006/

http://www.statisticbrain.com/nfl-ticket-and-revenue-statistics/

A big chunk of NFL revenue is coming from TV rights. It seems that the only way the NFL could be hurt by filtering out the"weak" cities would be if it somehow causes loss of TV viewership, and perhaps merchandise sales.

The NFL is a business that is about making money, and they've got a great gig going on now where they can get massive amounts of public funding to finance a key part of their private business infrastructure. To me, the "sick" part is governments (and ultimately the citizenry) who continue to fund these stadiums when study after study shows that public funding of stadiums is not a good use of tax money.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

So ISU fans will drive 5+ hours to tailgate and watch games on Saturdays, but you find it crazy that Raiders fans will drive 5 hours from LA to Vegas to watch the Raiders?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There were some people questioning why they would build an open air stadium for an NFL team in Las Vegas (perhaps based on the rendering shown by ESPN). According to most of the other renderings, the answer to that question is "they wouldn't be".

las-vegas-raiders-stadium-3.jpg

SNTIC_Stadium_Presentation_08.25.16_Page_10.jpg

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
A couple of interesting links below:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/193364/percentage-of-ticketing-revenue-in-the-nfl-since-2006/

http://www.statisticbrain.com/nfl-ticket-and-revenue-statistics/

A big chunk of NFL revenue is coming from TV rights. It seems that the only way the NFL could be hurt by filtering out the"weak" cities would be if it somehow causes loss of TV viewership, and perhaps merchandise sales.

The NFL is a business that is about making money, and they've got a great gig going on now where they can get massive amounts of public funding to finance a key part of their private business infrastructure. To me, the "sick" part is governments (and ultimately the citizenry) who continue to fund these stadiums when study after study shows that public funding of stadiums is not a good use of tax money.

I'm proud to be part of the people that stood up and said no more tax dollars to these greedy bastards. What the hell has Dean Spanos or Mark Davis ever done, outside of inheriting their names? I'm a free market guy so I fully believe these owners can do whatever they want with their teams. But for these guys to think the citizenry owes them hundreds of millions of dollars..... just because? Crazy talk. And to have the balls to come out and say they tried everything they could to stay? Complete BS.

I was a huge Chargers fan, but after 15 years of suffering through the worst ownership in professional sports I will take great pleasure in hearing how that s**t show will continue to fail.

Reactions: norcalcy

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Players, owners, and TV networks all benefit when each of the 32 NLF franchises are in the strongest cities. The Bills would bring in significantly more revenue in Toronto than Buffalo just from corporate dollars alone. The Jaguars would bring in more revenue in London than Jacksonville. Eventually the politics and tradition give way to the dollars since everyone makes more money if the franchises are in the 32 strongest cities.

I do see the Bills making more money in Toronto, but they're basically the only franchise that can be threatened by that city. The league isn't going to be able to threaten Jacksonville with Toronto, because they know the NFL would never put a team up there that wasn't the Bills.

I don't think London/Mexico City are legitimate threats, either. There is so much red tape to cut through and considerations to be made, for either of those cities to be viable options for the NFL. They're nowhere near the bargaining chip that L.A. or even Vegas was, at least not right now.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I do see the Bills making more money in Toronto, but they're basically the only franchise that can be threatened by that city. The league isn't going to be able to threaten Jacksonville with Toronto, because they know the NFL would never put a team up there that wasn't the Bills.

I don't think London/Mexico City are legitimate threats, either. There is so much red tape to cut through and considerations to be made, for either of those cities to be viable options for the NFL. They're nowhere near the bargaining chip that L.A. or even Vegas was, at least not right now.

I don't think either London or Mexico City are legitimate threats either, but it brings up interesting arguments. Mexico City from a logistical standpoint at least makes sense as it's in similar time zones as the rest of the United States (CST/CDT), but the NFL does a whole lot more "wet dreaming" about putting a franchise in London.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I'm proud to be part of the people that stood up and said no more tax dollars to these greedy bastards. What the hell has Dean Spanos or Mark Davis ever done, outside of inheriting their names? I'm a free market guy so I fully believe these owners can do whatever they want with their teams. But for these guys to think the citizenry owes them hundreds of millions of dollars..... just because? Crazy talk. And to have the balls to come out and say they tried everything they could to stay? Complete BS.

I was a huge Chargers fan, but after 15 years of suffering through the worst ownership in professional sports I will take great pleasure in hearing how that s**t show will continue to fail.

I think the good people of San Diego will do just fine without the Chargers and Oakland did the right thing by not committing public funds. I think we have seen "peak NFL". Owners have a right to continue their money grab. Fans have a right to lose interest and find other things to do.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
There is a massive commute from LA to Oakland when they are home on Sunday's.
They have a strong following, Vegas is even a bigger draw than Oakland. They will now go up on a Friday or Saturday, just to party in Vegas.
This right here^^^^.The drive is much easier than going to the bay, and from my time being on it, CHP doesn't usually lock down on the 15. Last time I drove it to Vegas....after Barstow, 90 mph earned you the slow lane until Primm.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron