Random thoughts thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
His dad still has a ton of hair at 60. And still a nice-looking man. Hell, his 80-something Grandpa still has a decent amount of hair.

Doesn't mean as much as youd think it does.

Nobody on my mom's side or my cousin's dad's side was bald either, and he started losing it badly by his early 30s.

I believe it depends on the women in the family, not the men as well.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I have not, but I welcome your input into my house stranger. For seriousness, who are you and when did you get to this thread?

It's a little bit like reader comments when a less frequent poster pops in, haha.[/QUOT
Read it pretty much every day just don't post much usually

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Doesn't mean as much as youd think it does.

Nobody on my mom's side or my cousin's dad's side was bald either, and he started losing it badly by his early 30s.

I believe it depends on the women in the family, not the men as well.

Yes, the most reliable predictor is what your mom's dad looks like, as male pattern baldness is a recessive trait carried on the X chromosome.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, the most reliable predictor is what your mom's dad looks like, as male pattern baldness is a recessive trait carried on the X chromosome.

that would be the 80 year old grandpa. DH certainly appears to have his dad's hair. I wish my hair would be that thick :(

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I have not, but I welcome your input into my house stranger. For seriousness, who are you and when did you get to this thread?

It's a little bit like reader comments when a less frequent poster pops in, haha.[/QUOT
Read it pretty much every day just don't post much usually

so yeah, like a reader then! you should tell us about yourself. Wife? kids? area of work? Major? Taylor Swift or Beyonce?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I usually just talk about myself.

If you're newer in the group you're better off being part of the conversation but not making yourself overly known.

wdsm, don't talk about yourself. I don't think most of us are pantsy level. Ask them about themselves. Ask about their job. If they live not in Iowa, ask them about that. Like "I hear the brisket is awesome in Texas, do you have a favorite place?" Or ask which team they are following this weekend.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
wdsm, don't talk about yourself. I don't think most of us are pantsy level. Ask them about themselves. Ask about their job. If they live not in Iowa, ask them about that. Like "I hear the brisket is awesome in Texas, do you have a favorite place?" Or ask which team they are following this weekend.

WDSM, don't listen to cowgirl. Go up to everyone you see and say "I'm a Cyclone, you're not a ****ing hawkeye are you?"

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I will agree most aren't on my level.

One thing that really helped me in my career was talking about myself, though. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and hated being in groups of people. I had zero confidence. I just started taking it. And if you fake confidence enough, eventually it becomes true confidence because you see "holy crap, I am actually good at what I do!" and develop into that person.

Status
Not open for further replies.