Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Worried now that if Cowgirl hits that "remove duplicates" button that she might accidentally remove the original Carver and Sara. Not liking the idea of having a Stepford Carver and Stepford Sara replace them in RTT.

Fish knifes, then GTO's murder house and now this! :eek:

With carvers litter if kids, she may be able to use the help.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Serious here, doesn't DH do programming or IT stuff? Outside of maybe gr8, he would probably be able to help you better than us. Unless you are looking for smartaleck responses like most of us will give.
Programming and routinely working with a canned program are two different things. Over the years people using a particular program will learn shortcuts (often by accident) that can be useful to others.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Because Excel sucks. It's the worst piece of software ever. It's used for everything and Microsoft tries to support people using it for everything. So instead of being great at a few things, it sucks at everything.
I will guarandamteeya it's more user-friendly than some of the other programs I've been saddled with - Smart and ALYS were two canned programs that were modified for my use. Oracle is the current debacle I'm stuck with.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Serious here, doesn't DH do programming or IT stuff? Outside of maybe gr8, he would probably be able to help you better than us. Unless you are looking for smartaleck responses like most of us will give.

he doesn't do a lot of Excel but he's helped with some other questions I've had on this project. This question just seemed so simple but I've been having no luck getting it to do what I want. Maybe a newer version of Excel would help, but I'm not getting much luck there either. I might be able to get to 2010.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
he doesn't do a lot of Excel but he's helped with some other questions I've had on this project. This question just seemed so simple but I've been having no luck getting it to do what I want. Maybe a newer version of Excel would help, but I'm not getting much luck there either. I might be able to get to 2010.

I have the newer version, but prefer some older ones. Probably since I used themselves a lot more and know them better.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'm down with having a few clones. If Excel can do that for me, I better get on the computer. Would have been great when I had more kids at home to go to all of those competing sporting events. However, duplicates get the best chores, such as bathroom cleaning, laundry, and picking up dog poop. Also cleaning the oven. I refuse to use that self cleaning thing, I think that makes your oven die sooner.

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It isn't perfect but you could do countif and then just manually count do a quick sum of duplicate entries. That would at least cut out your single entries and narrow it some.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
A couple of years ago I was working with a client that was using Lotus Notes for their callout database. My first response was "Lotus Notes is still around?"

• Funny
Reactions: cycloneG

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
A couple of years ago I was working with a client that was using Lotus Notes for their callout database. My first response was "Lotus Notes is still around?"
We use Lotus Notes for email (I guess it's called IBM Notes now). Not exactly the most intuitive system. We are transitioning to Outlook but that should be well behind the curve by the time we get there. We are the organization that kept Blackberry somewhat relevant for about 3 years longer than they should have been.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I'm down with having a few clones. If Excel can do that for me, I better get on the computer. Would have been great when I had more kids at home to go to all of those competing sporting events. However, duplicates get the best chores, such as bathroom cleaning, laundry, and picking up dog poop. Also cleaning the oven. I refuse to use that self cleaning thing, I think that makes your oven die sooner.
I hear ya - especially on the multiple events part...

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Have you ever worked with Oracle? I despise it.

I used it for a class while I was still in school. I prefer SQL simply because I use it more now. The database technology you're using probably isn't as important to you as the usability of the front-end. But getting away from Excel is the first step to breaking the dependency!

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
We use Lotus Notes for email (I guess it's called IBM Notes now). Not exactly the most intuitive system. We are transitioning to Outlook but that should be well behind the curve by the time we get there. We are the organization that kept Blackberry somewhat relevant for about 3 years longer than they should have been.
I used Eudora for email at work for years. I knew how to search, how to make "stationary", all the basic crap that I used most frequently. I was forced onto a earlier Outlook when the powers that be would no longer support Eudora. Since I don't use task manager or scheduling and calander functions, it had a crap-ton of stuff that I didn't want, but I couldn't locate the things I DO want. I'm on a more current version now, so I can search again, but I still have not figured out how to make templates of the "form letter" email responses I send to clients for the most frequently asked questions. Currently, I have drafts saved, and when I want to use one, I copy it to a "new" email and go from there, leaving the draft behind. That's unwieldy, so if anyone has a better idea I'm all ears!

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

We use GMail for general stuff and Lotus for our other stuff.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I used it for a class while I was still in school. I prefer SQL simply because I use it more now. The database technology you're using probably isn't as important to you as the usability of the front-end. But getting away from Excel is the first step to breaking the dependency!
Front end is my ONLY concern. Which is why I get frustrated with programmers that write a program that is comfortable for them, but slow & extremely unwieldy & non-user-friendly for the end-user...ME. I enter LOTS of numbers. In columns. Entering the info into cells on a page (basically one row covering about 14 columns) is a colossal PITA if you're used to entering data by columns of like figures. Think of it like an accountant using a ten-key adding machine.

And often, the data from some of the columns is repeated down the rows, so I'm entering information in half of the cells on a page that was also entered on the previous page and will probably be entered for the next 5-10 pages.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Front end is my ONLY concern. Which is why I get frustrated with programmers that write a program that is comfortable for them, but slow & extremely unwieldy & non-user-friendly for the end-user...ME. I enter LOTS of numbers. In columns. Entering the info into cells on a page (basically one row covering about 14 columns) is a colossal PITA if you're used to entering data by columns of like figures. Think of it like an accountant using a ten-key adding machine.

And often, the data from some of the columns is repeated down the rows, so I'm entering information in half of the cells on a page that was also entered on the previous page and will probably be entered for the next 5-10 pages.

Gross. Sounds like your front end needs a data entry form. You shouldn't have to work with tables directly. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.