Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Gross. Sounds like your front end needs a data entry form. You shouldn't have to work with tables directly. Ever.
You have it backwards. The info I'm entering is off of columns of data. I then have to enter one item from each column onto a page (essentially one row per page). Entering the data from 10-15 columns, one row per page, one data point per cell. YUCK.

I WANT COLUMNAR DATA ENTRY!!!

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
You have it backwards. The info I'm entering is off of columns of data. I then have to enter one item from each column onto a page (essentially one row per page). Entering the data from 10-15 columns, one row per page, one data point per cell. YUCK.

I WANT COLUMNAR DATA ENTRY!!!

Ah, so the data is already formatted. Then a data import should be available in the front-end. Select the data file, bam! Done.

Reactions: cowgirl836

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My wife's company has officially been purchased by the parent company. Consultants are being brought in, which is scary for someone that has been employed there for 20 years and could easily be considered an expendable salary.

We're on pace for early retirement, so a setback would be less than ideal.

Oh, and the letter about the acquisition was dripping with buzzwords. I noted several "synergies", "efficiencies", "seamless", "streamlined", "management platforms", and "strategic organization" mentions. They also used "For now, it's business as usual" to respond to several of their template questions about its effects to employees.

It was painful to read. Hopefully my eyes stop involuntarily rolling into the back of my head soon.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My wife's company has officially been purchased by the parent company. Consultants are being brought in, which is scary for someone that has been employed there for 20 years and could easily be considered an expendable salary.

Oh, and the letter about the acquisition was dripping with buzzwords. I noted several "synergies", "efficiencies", "seamless", "streamlined", "management platforms", and "strategic organization" mentions. They also used "For now, it's business as usual" to respond to several of their template questions about its effects to employees.

It was painful to read. Hopefully my eyes stop involuntarily rolling into the back of my head soon.
All those buzz terms translate to "we are going to do everything possible to get rid of as many of you as we can."

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Even though it's scary, chances are she will be retained. Also, depending upon the size of the company and industry, it may work out even better if she's not. She could get a pretty generous severance package.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
All those buzz terms translate to "we are going to do everything possible to get rid of as many of you as we can."

I love it when someone uses buzz words to try to mask their true intent and then use them incorrectly. Asking someone to elaborate and then watching them flounder makes me smile.

I detest people that try to dress up the English language to complicate something simple. It's really arrogant IMO.

Even though it's scary, chances are she will be retained. Also, depending upon the size of the company and industry, it may work out even better if she's not. She could get a pretty generous severance package.

The severance package would be plenty hefty, for sure. Also, my wife has established plenty of industry connections, so she should not have an issue getting plenty of suitors. The most immediate impact for us would be benefits related. Mine are atrocious, so we currently have everything through her work.

The "scary" part would probably be just the changing of jobs for one of us. She's been at hers for 20 and I'm hitting my 20 year mark in a couple weeks. I'm guessing that's probably pretty rare for a married couple in their early forties.

Reactions: bawbie

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Fingers crossed for you!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
An Uber's driverless car got into a wreck. Would that make you fill your pants watching it happen and you knowing you can't do anything.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
An Uber's driverless car got into a wreck. Would that make you fill your pants watching it happen and you knowing you can't do anything.

I'm pretty pessimistic about driverless cars, despite evidence showing their related safety stats. Personally, I think of the number of times in one month where defensive driving has prevented accidents, and I struggle to imagine the same efficiency without a live driver.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm pretty pessimistic about driverless cars, despite evidence showing their related safety stats. Personally, I think of the number of times in one month where defensive driving has prevented accidents, and I struggle to imagine the same efficiency without a live driver.
It also brings machines one step closer to self-awareness.
terminator-gifgif.gif

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
About the only way driverless cars would work would be if they are all driverless. Then 6 months later people would be complaining that the government knows everywhere they've been.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Goddamn ******* spawn of the devil whitetailed wood rats (aka ******* deer). Chased them out of my neighbors front yard three times this morning and they just wait a few hundred feet away and return as soon as I go inside. Looked closer and they have absolutely savaged their evergreens, way worse then the damage to my lot.

So, figured I needed to throw some rocks at them. Also figured that submarine throwing motion would work, in deference to torn rotator cuff. WRONG. JFC, that's about as sharp a pain as I can recall. :eek: Man, it was like Cowgirl stabbed me in the shoulder with her fish knife. Woof.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin

I don't like the idea of cars with automatic brakes or that can park themselves. I like to be in complete operational control of the car.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Goddamn ******* spawn of the devil whitetailed wood rats (aka ******* deer). Chased them out of my neighbors front yard three times this morning and they just wait a few hundred feet away and return as soon as I go inside. Looked closer and they have absolutely savaged their evergreens, way worse then the damage to my lot.

So, figured I needed to throw some rocks at them. Also figured that submarine throwing motion would work, in deference to torn rotator cuff. WRONG. JFC, that's about as sharp a pain as I can recall. :eek: Man, it was like Cowgirl stabbed me in the shoulder with her fish knife. Woof.

You'll soon be a Star Tribune regular!

297.png

Status
Not open for further replies.