Randy Peterson on KXNO

johnsonjj

Apr 11, 2006
Johnston
CB doesn't work in the post to get the ball in a good scoring position.

I didn't see the whole game last night (actually only part of the second half) but I saw him battling for post position. Several times it looked like he had a guy sealed but we didn't work it to him.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
I didn't see the whole game last night (actually only part of the second half) but I saw him battling for post position. Several times it looked like he had a guy sealed but we didn't work it to him.
CB does battle in the post to get position but he is getting very frustrated because his point guards aren't getting him the ball when he is open. However, I cannot defend his two rebounds in 34 minutes of play last night. No reason why CB should not get 10 rebounds a game.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
CB does battle in the post to get position but he is getting very frustrated because his point guards aren't getting him the ball when he is open. However, I cannot defend his two rebounds in 34 minutes of play last night. No reason why CB should not get 10 rebounds a game.

I agree with this. I tend to watch Brackins during each offensive set. He does get set low and most often the entry pass doesn't make it until the defense has rotated a second defender over.

Anyone else concerned about our lack of physical screens off the ball? We rarely get into the defender and certainly not enough to disrupt the defense.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I thought CB did a pretty good job of trying to establish position in the low post last night, particularly in comparison to some of the earlier games from this season. He still never did quite end up on the block with the ball, but I credit that to the better defense of Duke. In many of the earlier games this year he appeared to be just settling for getting the ball 12 feet from the rim. Last night he was working it. Alas, we could not get it to him effectively.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Randy Peterson is a ******* *********. But anyways....

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Randy Peterson also said the reason the team was giving up so many offensive rebounds is because they just aren't tough enough. He also stated CB is frustrated because DG and Colvin aren't getting him the ball in good scoring position.

Seems like the PGs look to shoot first many times....

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I wasn't referring to his presence at practice - I was referring to his ability to evaluate what he is watching.
I have attended several of Gmac's practices up until this year, and I have yet to see a rebounding drill that involved any kind of intense, physical combat. They were all very low key, dealing with positioning, body turns, etc. Very clinical.
Floyd's drills were brutal, and it showed in the games.
Ya saying nice guys finish last?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I could see CB's frustration with poor point guard play. DG had a decent game driving and scoring last night, but is he really running the offense correctly? Or is it a case of a poor offensive game plan to begin with?

I was at the game and DG is not to blame for any of this. It does no good to have someone posted up 18 feet from the hoop, and that is the only place Craig seems able to get open. Diante has to dribble around for 25 seconds trying to find somewhere to initiate the offense, then when no one can seem to get open has to go off the dribble. Not DG's fault...I completely put the blame on McD for not finding sets to get Craig open. It is becoming obvious that he is not the type of player that is comfortable moving from block to block to get open. Utilize his talents, and get him free for 15-20 foot jumpers...not contested back-to-the-basket post moves.

jhill

Apr 10, 2006
I was at the game and DG is not to blame for any of this. It does no good to have someone posted up 18 feet from the hoop, and that is the only place Craig seems able to get open. Diante has to dribble around for 25 seconds trying to find somewhere to initiate the offense, then when no one can seem to get open has to go off the dribble. Not DG's fault...I completely put the blame on McD for not finding sets to get Craig open. It is becoming obvious that he is not the type of player that is comfortable moving from block to block to get open. Utilize his talents, and get him free for 15-20 foot jumpers...not contested back-to-the-basket post moves.

Good post. Couldn't agree more. The whole offense seems to be so simple, which makes it simple to defend. Very little movement. Very few screens. Brackins' failure to establish low post position throws everything into a funk. That leaves Garret/Colvin to try to create something almost every time down the court. Try something different. Bring Brackins to the free throw line, which makes it tougher to double him (and he is more comfortable on the perimeter). Post up Gilstrap more...he seems to have the toughness and size (when he is at the 3). Whatever they are currently trying to run just isn't getting it done.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Good post. Couldn't agree more. The whole offense seems to be so simple, which makes it simple to defend. Very little movement. Very few screens. Brackins' failure to establish low post position throws everything into a funk. That leaves Garret/Colvin to try to create something almost every time down the court. Try something different. Bring Brackins to the free throw line, which makes it tougher to double him (and he is more comfortable on the perimeter). Post up Gilstrap more...he seems to have the toughness and size (when he is at the 3). Whatever they are currently trying to run just isn't getting it done.

That's a good point. Dallas does exact same thing with Dirk Nowitzki.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Randy Peterson is a ******* *********. But anyways....

Roger that.

Now moving on, If you listened to the post game interviews early in the season, Eric Heft often talked about how DG was always looking assist first and wasn't trying to score as much. We were winning easily against poor teams, but everybody was happy in their roles, including DG. Then the competition heated up, Craig and the other players were covered better, and DG felt it upon himself to score more because it was harder to distribute the ball. Now CB isn't getting the touches he used to and he's PO'd at the PGs. This viscous circle has started and now we're not in a happy place and everybody's upset because they're not getting the ball more.

We need to get the PGs thinking assist again and not points. CB needs to touch the ball nearly every possession, maybe not score, but be part of the offense. If somebody throws up a crap shot 10 seconds into the shot clock without any offense running, something's wrong and they need to be sat down.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
That's a good point. Dallas does exact same thing with Dirk Nowitzki.

Why do I think that if we had Dirk Nowitzki on our team that our current coach would be trying to make him into a back-to-the-basket post man?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Randy Peterson also said the reason the team was giving up so many offensive rebounds is because they just aren't tough enough. He also stated CB is frustrated because DG and Colvin aren't getting him the ball in good scoring position.

This to me was one of the biggest differences between us and duke the other night.....Scheyer and Smith had some fantastic feeds to the post....on several possessions, i would see CB had his man on his outer hip and a good feed is either a layup, dunk, or foul. Instead, DG of CC sit out there and pound the ball into the wood.......Im not sure if this is coaching or ego or what.....When our post position players have great position, the guards HAVE to get them the ball - no if ands or buts.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Roger that.
If somebody throws up a crap shot 10 seconds into the shot clock without any offense running, something's wrong and they need to be sat down.

CYCLONE90 - great point and to take that one step further, if someone puts up a crap shot 10 seconds into the shot clock our guys are trying to get position to get the ball and thus out of position to rebound!!!!!

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
I think this all comes down to McD bringing in players that he thinks are Big 12 type guys and not the kind of guys that it really takes to run his "system" whatever that is. At UNI he didn't have that worry. He didn't have to bring in guys that would have to bang around with the big boys every night, he was able to find guys that fit his system. I think all of these issues are on McD and the players that HE is bringing in.

B.L.

Nov 28, 2006
Great points old goat, it seems when they get down 10 points they won't hammer it down the lane!!!!