Read this article from the sporting news.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Yeah it has all the reasons he fired Wayne. Wayne has a better record than Gmac had.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think he was citing the similarities in the situation and how JP wants to win. That is why he fired Morgan and that is why, due to precedent, Mac may be gone. I like that JP wants to compete at the highest level and I think that's what we need. It will be interesting to see if he treats one of his own hires the same. My guess is no postseason, no Mac next year.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
A half emty Hilton is worth that much every year. I think he has to win next year. His buy out will be a ton lower after next year. I realize he won't get fired this year. it's just that Jamie ran his mouth about not letting it happen again. Not making the post season. Well Wayne made it. Gmac as much as I like the guy has not even came close.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Does it :)jimlad:) apply to him being a great guy, letting us out of the contract, or both in your opinion? Just curious.

Apply to letting us out of the contract. He, on the surface, seems to be a nice guy but I don't know much about him. I'm generally a nice guy but would never let anyone out of a contract with me.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Anyone who thinks a coach will just step down without some kind of buyout because he is a nice guy is smoking
4799d1216929790-what-do-you-think-i-dwingdwang_massive_huge_joint_weed_chronic_marijuana_pot_hot_girl_smoking_smoke_cigarette_sexy_b.jpg

$4 mil buyout would put a huge financial restraint on hiring anyone worth a darn probably. I really hope Mac gets this figured out and we are here in March talking about our NCAA tourney bid because this is a tough situation if we don't make the postseason. We can't really afford to fire him and we can't really afford to keep missing the post season either so the price of winning could be ugly if we have to make drastic moves

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Yep, I bet if iSU still had Morgan the Clones would be in the NCAA Final Four by now and would have won a couple of Big 12 titles.

Seriously, Morgan's last ISU team was awful, horrible, terrible. The team didn't have any discipline. There is no reason -- absolutely none -- to assume ISU's program would be better off now had he stayed at the helm.

Maybe Mac hasn't "turned" the program around. Maybe he is not the coach we all thought and hoped he would be. I won't argue that point.

However, to say or imply Pollard shouldn't have fired Morgan is ridiculous.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Yep, I bet if iSU still had Morgan the Clones would be in the NCAA Final Four by now and would have won a couple of Big 12 titles.

Seriously, Morgan's last ISU team was awful, horrible, terrible. The team didn't have any discipline. There is no reason -- absolutely none -- to assume ISU's program would be better off now had he stayed at the helm.

Maybe Mac hasn't "turned" the program around. Maybe he is not the coach we all thought and hoped he would be. I won't argue that point.

Well at least he never had a losing season and led us to two post seasons in three years

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
[quote

][/quote]

No Pollard said he won't except the losing.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
It's funny...anytime I tell people the history of ISU basketball in the last 10 years to people who aren't from iowa and don't follow ISU basketball...I tell them how Morgan took us to the postseason twice in three years and never had a losing record, but we fired him. How Morgan off the court wasn't in any real scandals and was helping out in the community a little still. Then we hire McDermott who's never had a winning season and thus never taken us to any postseason.

I let them know how people seem to love McDermott more than Morgan as a coach. I've told about 10 people this and guess what EVERYONE SINGLE PERSON'S reaction has been?

"Are you guys stupid? That is so dumb. Your last coach would have never been fired at my school."

Literally everyone has asked me that. That is what people think of our coaching situation from an outside eye who know the base of it...records, post season, etc. And you can tell them "but but but Morgan inherited all this talent [which he really didn't considering we only went to the post season once between 2001 and 2003 before morgan was hired and various people left after Eustachy got axed]"

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Pollard reportedly told Morgan the night he was let go that, “We want basketball to be the marquee program at Iowa State, and we don’t feel you can do that.â€￾

Have the standards here changed? Because it is painfully obvious at this point that Gmac cannot do that. Hell, he can't even match the Morgan years.