Read this article from the sporting news.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
First, just a little correction to your post. ISU only beat UNI by 7. I don't think 7 points is quite smoking an opponent (unless you are an Iowa fan, than winning by two points is considered smoking an opponent. :wink:)

And in the last 14 games of that season, Morgan's team went 5-9 -- including a 10 point loss to a bad Nebraska team at home. You are right, though, they fell apart in Big 12 play, but the Big 12 was down that year. Colorado was ranked 25th when ISU beat them at home (beat them bad, actually), Texas was ranked 8th (lost to them) and Oklahoma was ranked 9th (lost to them).

But isn't that what the discussion is about. Morgan's last team started off fairly well as you pointed out, but stunk in a weak Big 12.

Did Morgan deserve another year to right the ship? I can see your argument on that point and sort of agree with you on it.

However, it's no good to rehash the past. Morgan's gone, won't return.

If Gmac's team does as poorly this year as Morgan's last year, than, yep, pull the plug.

OK I agree. I wasn't trying to state that Morgan was the answer.... just that its obvious that Gmac isn't either, unless we are judging them on a completely separate scale.

I was fine in some ways with the firing of Morgan because I thought we were heading the wrong direction and I didn't believe we would be competing for any Big 12 championships under Wayne. Its clear to me that the program has not improved at all (and possibly regressed) under Mcdermott. It drives me nuts that so many of our fans blame everything on Morgan and only remember the bad parts of the Morgan years while going out of their way to give Gmac the benefit of the doubt.

He still has conference season to turn it around and change our minds. At this point with the way we are playing I don't see us winning more than 6-7 games during conference and ending up in the NIT at best..... however we have the talent and ability to win more. So if Gmac can do some coaching and get his team playing together and playing with fire and passion and some balls (I'd give anything for a Homan) we can still turn it around in Big 12 play and make the tournament. But he'd better get a move on, cause the beginning of our Big 12 schedule is just brutal.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
WTF is a subjunctive and why would it disappear? :smile:

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Well, this season isn't exactly a disaster at this point. We have two games that were awful to say the least and two games that we should have won.... I think that this team can get its act together and still do great things this year. The coach needs to be the glue to hold it together.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
Again, I am not a Gmac defender. However, to imply ISU would better if Morgan was still coaching is a bit of a stretch.

Stretch, I don't think Morgan could do a worse job than Gmac. Who did we beat this year that Morgan wouldn't have? No one. Plus didn't we pay Morgan about a quarter million less a year for better production?

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Well, this season isn't exactly a disaster at this point. We have two games that were awful to say the least and two games that we should have won.... I think that this team can get its act together and still do great things this year. The coach needs to be the glue to hold it together.

And this will be the season I judge him and I think we all can fairly judge the hire after this year.

He has all the pieces...and will have no excuse if we fall drastically short of NCAA tourney.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Kind of. I've done a bunch of languages, and done a little teaching. It's part of the Bible scholar thing.

Are you sure that Hebrew has it? I'm trying to find it, and it's not working out for me.

Nice...yeah that's cool.

Yep, I'm sure. I know a little Hebrew. My grandfather was a language professor at Columbia and Rutgers. I learned a lot from him...he is fluent in 7 languages. Insane.

i forgot to add though, subjunctive in hebrew is VERY minor

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Are you talking modern Hebrew or biblical Hebrew? I'm searching my biblical Hebrew textbooks and can't find the subjunctive.

Nerd fight.:smile:

hahaha

well in biblical hebrew it's very minor still..not as minor as it is today. It's kind of, hidden in a way. big time

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Outstanding. So we both win, and we found out about subjunctives.com

Who saw that coming?

The jussive was the closest alternative I could see to the subjunctive, but it didn't seem like it fit well enough.

Again, nicely done. :yes:

Isn't language amazing? haha...language is actually extremely important even in how advanced a society may become. absolutely amazing

I think it's equally hilarious subjuncives.com exists

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Even though so much in language degrades over time.

I love seeing that website.....consider my mind blown.

This is why, even for you with biblical studies, it's important to read it in the original language, not the translated :) Which I never got why a few religions have their "coming of age" in a translated version of texts instead of the original.