Read this article from the sporting news.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Seriously, Morgan's last ISU team was awful, horrible, terrible. The team didn't have any discipline. There is no reason -- absolutely none -- to assume ISU's program would be better off now had he stayed at the helm.

No reason... thats ridiculous. Our record the past 3 years is reason #1.

That team that you call awful was clearly better than GM's first 3 teams, and maybe this one. At least that team beat a #3 seed in Iowa and nearly beat a future #1 seed in Ohio State. Also they smoked a future NCAA Tourney team from UNI. They could compete, but they had no big men and fell apart in the Big 12.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Not only has McD not made the postseason, a team of his hasn't even been whiffed at for the NIT - Not.Even.Close

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
if that $4.65M is accurate, then I would not be in favor of letting McD go until it is MUCH lower. We could take taht $4.65 and spend it on the south endzone instead!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Pollard reportedly told Morgan the night he was let go that, “We want basketball to be the marquee program at Iowa State, and we don’t feel you can do that.â€￾

Have the standards here changed? Because it is painfully obvious at this point that Gmac cannot do that. Hell, he can't even match the Morgan years.

The standard hasn't really changed, we just can't afford to anything about the situation. We're stuck.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Pollard reportedly told Morgan the night he was let go that, “We want basketball to be the marquee program at Iowa State, and we don’t feel you can do that.â€￾

Have the standards here changed? Because it is painfully obvious at this point that Gmac cannot do that. Hell, he can't even match the Morgan years.

I'm not arguing that Gmac hasn't lived up to the hope and expectations.

My point is simply that I don't think the program would be all that much better at this juncture under Morgan. The program was sliding fast.

Keeping Morgan was not the answer. Gmac hasn't done much to make people believe that he's the answer.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Anyone ever consider that the contract buyout for GM is so high because when they fire JP after they fire GM the two of them will split the buyout and live happily ever after!:skeptical:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The standard hasn't really changed, we just can't afford to anything about the situation. We're stuck.

Yep, and Pollard has nobody to thank but himself and his ridiculously stupid extensions in Gmac'c contract. Without them, he'd only have 2 seasons left on his contract after this one and a much smaller buyout.

But hey, I guess Mcdermott earned that extra year when Jiri had to sit out 6 non-conference games for driving his foster parents car. That seems like the perfect reason to extend a coaches contract. Pure incompetence.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Seriously, Morgan's last ISU team was awful, horrible, terrible. The team didn't have any discipline. There is no reason -- absolutely none -- to assume ISU's program would be better off now had he stayed at the helm.

This is compared to our "disciplined" play of today? Has everyone already forgot the Mike Taylor run, turn it over or launch offense in GM's first year? That is your definition of disciplined play?

Or today -- tell me what you see on the court that represents hard-nosed, disciplined defense or rebounding? And I personnally still can't tell you what the hell our offensive philosophy is all about. Standing around doesn't define discipline to me.

The simple facts are this program is adrift. The question is how much time is GM given if he doesn't get it turned around ASAP.

After the year is over, JP has to decide if ISU wants to be one day closer to restoring any resemblance of success in our program, or we are going to spend many, many more days just wishing it will happen.

Hilarious that 99% of ISU fans had the opinion that Frank Martin was a goon and an idiot. But that guy is flat out getting it done at KSU in a short amount of time, even after losing 2 NBA players, and we possibly have 2 NBA players on the roster now and can't look competent after 4 years.

Reactions: Knownothing

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I'm not arguing that Gmac hasn't lived up to the hope and expectations.

My point is simply that I don't think the program would be all that much better at this juncture under Morgan. The program was sliding fast.

Keeping Morgan was not the answer. Gmac hasn't done much to make people believe that he's the answer.

The only reason we fired Morgan is because we went from going to the NCAA tournament 2nd round to being 16-14 and nothing and THEN dennis dodd comes out with a "big scandal" about morgan a few days after the season ends. We fired Morgan a day later.

You think that was a coincidence. Oh, and then to not make matters worse it turns out the "scandal" (which isu fans knew was nothing) was nothing about a week after we fired him.

I can almost guarantee you if that article from Dennis Dodd didn't come out, we wouldn't have fired him and probably given him another year. I could see if we had a losing record the next year IF morgan wasn't fired, they'd fire him maybe, but not after three consecutive winning seasons with the guy. Just dumb and all my friends not from iowa nor follow isu think the same thing when i tell them the situation.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
No reason... thats ridiculous. Our record the past 3 years is reason #1.

That team that you call awful was clearly better than GM's first 3 teams, and maybe this one. At least that team beat a #3 seed in Iowa and nearly beat a future #1 seed in Ohio State. Also they smoked a future NCAA Tourney team from UNI. They could compete, but they had no big men and fell apart in the Big 12.

First, just a little correction to your post. ISU only beat UNI by 7. I don't think 7 points is quite smoking an opponent (unless you are an Iowa fan, than winning by two points is considered smoking an opponent. :wink:)

And in the last 14 games of that season, Morgan's team went 5-9 -- including a 10 point loss to a bad Nebraska team at home. You are right, though, they fell apart in Big 12 play, but the Big 12 was down that year. Colorado was ranked 25th when ISU beat them at home (beat them bad, actually), Texas was ranked 8th (lost to them) and Oklahoma was ranked 9th (lost to them).

But isn't that what the discussion is about. Morgan's last team started off fairly well as you pointed out, but stunk in a weak Big 12.

Did Morgan deserve another year to right the ship? I can see your argument on that point and sort of agree with you on it.

However, it's no good to rehash the past. Morgan's gone, won't return.

If Gmac's team does as poorly this year as Morgan's last year, than, yep, pull the plug.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yep, and Pollard has nobody to thank but himself and his ridiculously stupid extensions in Gmac'c contract. Without them, he'd only have 2 seasons left on his contract after this one and a much smaller buyout.

But hey, I guess Mcdermott earned that extra year when Jiri had to sit out 6 non-conference games for driving his foster parents car. That seems like the perfect reason to extend a coaches contract. Pure incompetence.

I'm generally pro Pollard, but he REALLY ****ed up here.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Morgan still lives in Ames I believe and he's not coaching because he has a special needs child and built a brand new house for so they could get around easily in.

I don't blame morgan for not leaving. You build a probably $600,000 house, new..for a child in a wheel chair ...you never have a losing season, and then they axe you after 3 straight winning seasons out of 3 possible seasons.

Seriously I don't blame the guy for not wanting to go somewhere else right now and deal with his kid.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Yep, I bet if iSU still had Morgan the Clones would be in the NCAA Final Four by now and would have won a couple of Big 12 titles.

Maybe Mac hasn't "turned" the program around. Maybe he is not the coach we all thought and hoped he would be. I won't argue that point.

However, to say or imply Pollard shouldn't have fired Morgan is ridiculous.

Morgans last team also dealt with a season long injury to it's best player and an illness to it's top recruit... I wouldn't say Mac's teams are any more disciplined than Morgan's...

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Morgans last team also dealt with a season long injury to it's best player and an illness to it's top recruit... I wouldn't say Mac's teams are any more disciplined than Morgan's...

If you are going to use injuries as an excuse, then take a look at this from Gmac's first season (via Iowa State's official site 2007-08 ISU Men's Basketball Season In Review - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports):

2007-08 ISU Men's Basketball Season In Review

Cyclone Notebook
-Iowa State battled through an injury-plagued season to finish 14-18 overall and 4-12 in league action...ISU’s top three returning players (Jiri Hubalek, Wesley Johnson and Rahshon Clark) all suffered injuries during the season that hindered their progress.
-The Cyclones also took a hit when true freshman Lucca Staiger, who was scheduled to play significant minutes at the two-guard spot, was ruled ineligible by the NCAA Amatuer Certification process...he lost a year of elibility while sitting out the entire season.

-After limping through the early part of the season with a 3-4 mark, ISU finally got most of its players healthy for a month and half stretch where it played excellent basketball...ISU went 9-2 from Dec. 8 to Jan. 19, scoring 70 or more points eight times.
-The Cyclones defeated instate rival Iowa, defeated NCAA Tournament participant Purdue and NIT participant Oklahoma State during the stretch.
-However, Johnson reinjured his ankle, Clark hurt his knee and Hubalek reinjured his foot soon after to derail any Cyclone momentum.

-The wins over Iowa and Purdue, plus a Big 12-Pac 10 Hardwood Series victory at Oregon State were some highlights of the season.
-Iowa State celebrated 100 years of men’s hoops during the season, culminating in a successful 100-year tribute weekend vs. Nebraska...ISU battled back from a 13-point halftime deficit to defeat NIT-bound Nebraska in front of over 150 former alumni attending the festivities.

Reactions: CyGuy33

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

Not only that but the guy that was to replace Homan was sick and sat out the first part of the year.
I told Jamie Pollard when we were at Texas A@M football game that it would take a while for that team to work since there were a whole bunch of new guys. Then he fired him after the season.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
It's funny...anytime I tell people the history of ISU basketball in the last 10 years to people who aren't from iowa and don't follow ISU basketball...I tell them how Morgan took us to the postseason twice in three years and never had a losing record, but we fired him. How Morgan off the court wasn't in any real scandals and was helping out in the community a little still. Then we hire McDermott who's never had a winning season and thus never taken us to any postseason.

I let them know how people seem to love McDermott more than Morgan as a coach. I've told about 10 people this and guess what EVERYONE SINGLE PERSON'S reaction has been?

"Are you guys stupid? That is so dumb. Your last coach would have never been fired at my school."

Literally everyone has asked me that. That is what people think of our coaching situation from an outside eye who know the base of it...records, post season, etc. And you can tell them "but but but Morgan inherited all this talent [which he really didn't considering we only went to the post season once between 2001 and 2003 before morgan was hired and various people left after Eustachy got axed]"

Are you a researcher at ISU? Cause seriously, it sounds like you did your homework here with this study.

1) Find friends who know NOTHING of ISU basketball and aren't from the area...check!
2) Give them your "unbiased" opinion of the situation...check!
3) They agree with your "unbiased opinion based on your presentation of "facts"...check!

I've read and re-read your study and I honestly don't know how you could have been any more tedious or scientific in your research :no:

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Are you a researcher at ISU? Cause seriously, it sounds like you did your homework here with this study.

1) Find friends who know NOTHING of ISU basketball and aren't from the area...check!
3) They agree with your "unbiased opinion based on your presentation of "facts"...check!

I've read and re-read your study and I honestly don't know how you could have been any more tedious or scientific in your research :no:

Good point, tigerhoops.

Again, I am not a Gmac defender. However, to imply ISU would better if Morgan was still coaching is a bit of a stretch.

Edit - Okay, grammer police. Is it, "if Morgan WAS still coaching" OR "if Morgan WERE still coaching"?

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Edit - Okay, grammer police. Is it, "if Morgan WAS still coaching" OR "if Morgan WERE still coaching"?

Proper English would be "were" because it is the subjunctive mood, but the subjunctive has pretty much disappeared from usage in English, so it is acceptable to say "was."

:policeman:

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

I don't think you're understand what I was getting at. I'm not saying that my friends know what's up. I'm saying that is people's perception of our program when you tell them what's been going on.

That's not just THEIRS, it's a lot of people's perceptions. The only reason we "know" what's going on us because we follow the program. Ultimately too, recruits could have the same exact "know" as anyone not following the program when they're initially recruited and really, that's not great to have as a whole.

Even if we care about what people think of our program (because some people do), it's not good..is what i'm getting at. It has no bearing on how good we are, but from a logical standpoint, outsiders look at our program and say "wtf? really? why'd they do that?" Also some journalists in the media love to write articles without any facts, so that's not great for us either. Just read the majority of ESPN articles.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron