Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
IMO a single 40-60 team CFB "league" makes more sense. Just a matter if Ohio State, Bama, Texas, USC, etc. are willing to share with a bigger pool of schools. The key is if one league means more $ to TV partners.

I've talked about that many posts ago. But there's no incentive to re-org for the blue bloods in SEC and B1G, and NEGATIVE incentive for the non-blue bloods in those conferences. They already get the most $, so why change?

Only 2 ways it happens:
1. superleague rapture with the top 20ish brands, and the leftovers consolidate sensibly into a strong national league to survive (you could even call it "college football")
2. NCAA/Congress forces a total takeover and re-boot as part of an antitrust exemption

I'd say 40% on #1 and 10% on #2.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
I've talked about that many posts ago. But there's no incentive to re-org for the blue bloods in SEC and B1G, and NEGATIVE incentive for the non-blue bloods in those conferences. They already get the most $, so why change?

Only 2 ways it happens:
1. superleague rapture with the top 20ish brands, and the leftovers consolidate sensibly into a strong national league to survive (you could even call it "college football")
2. NCAA/Congress forces a total takeover and re-boot as part of an antitrust exemption

Agreed. I am skeptical that the blue-bloods will vote for anything that disadvantages them (even though the sport right now is pretty much broken with transfers, NIL, etc. imo).

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Why is everyone so fixated on saving the PAC remnants? No one was worried when the big East dissolved or the swc dissolved and relegated schools.
Agreed. The OSU/WSU obsession some people have is strange.

I understand feeling bad for their fans.

I don't understand wanting to dilute ISU's shares of whatever the future holds by throwing those programs a lifeline.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Why is everyone so fixated on saving the PAC remnants? No one was worried when the big East dissolved or the swc dissolved and relegated schools.

I’m interested in two things related to the PAC and the leftover teams. First, a vote in the CFP format negotiations. They need to have teams for their vote to count. Second, geographic sense. If there’s a model that allows for a reset and we can redraw the conference lines for what makes sense geographical, I’m all for it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Only 2 ways it happens:

A single league would have to be a win (incremental revenue) for current Big10/SEC schools.

If one CFB governing body was negotiating TV deals, could they significantly increase rights fees? This go round ESPN had existing deals with ACC & SEC, so they had no incentive to bid-up to keep their Big10 rights.

But if one governing body is negotiating TV rights, does it incent networks/streaming companies to bid more or get shut out. Basically, the NFL model from 1970-2010 when CBS, NBC/FOX and ABC/ESPN owned all the rights

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
A single league would have to be a win (incremental revenue) for current Big10/SEC schools.

If one CFB governing body was negotiating TV deals, could they significantly increase rights fees? This go round ESPN had existing deals with ACC & SEC, so they had no incentive to bid-up to keep their Big10 rights.

But if one governing body is negotiating TV rights, does it incent networks/streaming companies to bid more or get shut out. Basically, the NFL model from 1970-2010 when CBS, NBC/FOX and ABC/ESPN owned all the rights

More product to pick from for your prime time spots. How many weeks were we subjected to garbage games because the slot belonged to a single conference and there weren’t any good games that week? If you had all the games across the country to chose from, those spots might be worth more.

You could also then say that 2/3 non conference games must be against other teams within the alliance. That would bring in more money with legitimate NC games.

But I doubt that’s enough to make up for the extra mouths to feed. So I doubt the Big10 and SEC would sign up for that. But it may make sense for the rest of the P5 leagues since they’re already relatively even in revenue per team.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
No one is, outside of Iowa State fans, really.

But we understand that would have been us if things had just gone slightly differently. So we can empathize.

I think they should keep every red cent, personally.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
More product to pick from for your prime time spots. How many weeks were we subjected to garbage games because the slot belonged to a single conference and there weren’t any good games that week? If you had all the games across the country to chose from, those spots might be worth more.

You could also then say that 2/3 non conference games must be against other teams within the alliance. That would bring in more money with legitimate NC games.

But I doubt that’s enough to make up for the extra mouths to feed. So I doubt the Big10 and SEC would sign up for that. But it may make sense for the rest of the P5 leagues since they’re already relatively even in revenue per team.
I think what probably happens is:

1. ACC gets destabilized by B1G and SEC
2. Big 12 takes leftovers from ACC that add value
3. B1G and SEC top programs make new league
4. Big 12 takes leftovers from B1G/SEC that add value
5. Big 12 rebrands as the "College Football League" or something like that with their own divisions, playoffs, championship, etc.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I mean we wanted some of those 10

I know that but OSU and WSU deserve all the cash they can get out of them. I would have preferred both of those schools over Utah and ASU. They are in now and I hope they decide they want to be here. but you shouldn't have to tell a drowning man to grab the lifeboat 3 times before they get in.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think what probably happens is:

1. ACC gets destabilized by B1G and SEC
2. Big 12 takes leftovers from ACC that add value
3. B1G and SEC top programs make new league
4. Big 12 takes leftovers from B1G/SEC that add value
5. Big 12 rebrands as the "College Football League" or something like that with their own divisions, playoffs, championship, etc.
Respectfully disagree.

Fox tightening purse on OR, WA adds said a lot! We know ESPN strings are already really tight. I might be alone here, but I think the B1G and SEC contracts were bid too high and the media is questioning the return 'rate'. Everyone thinks, because of the last contracts, that there's ample money to go around. I think exactly the opposite, unless Amazon, Apple and Vegas $$$ enter the fold.

Though not out of the question there could be a B1G/SEC merger, but I don't think that happens because even within them the bottom dwellers will be even less significant. Now if they get their act together and legislate NIL for equality, that might help. But, seriously, do you think the big boys at the table are going to go for that? NOT. A B12/ACC/P12 merger is MUCH more likely to reign in NIL, creating a product where parity is part of the design (see every professional sport to why that's so important).

That's why this whole B12/ACC/P12 'merger' of 'solid' coast to coast representation, regional rivalries retained, CFP votes strengthened, media time slots more manageable, and a more balanced field of teams more amicable to terms to allow everyone to compete, is what I think will transpire.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
In 5 years UGA and Bama may be 8-4 type teams. In the NIL era money talks, booster money, not conference affiliation.

Who has the biggest boosters? Off the top of my head, Oregon, Maryland (Under Armor), SMU, Miami and???

What if the boosters for these schools buy those teams all of the best players, squeezing out SEC and BIG powers. What if SMU (again), has the best team money can buy?

How can the SEC say we'll have our own playoff, when miami and SMU beat UGA and Bama 41-10? They'd be laughed at.

I dont think anyone knows where this train is headed. It is truly, the Wild Wild West.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
In 5 years UGA and Bama may be 8-4 type teams. In the NIL era money talks, booster money, not conference affiliation.

Who has the biggest boosters? Off the top of my head, Oregon, Maryland (Under Armor), SMU, Miami and???

What if the boosters for these schools buy those teams all of the best players, squeezing out SEC and BIG powers. What if SMU (again), has the best team money can buy?

How can the SEC say we'll have our own playoff, when miami and SMU beat UGA and Bama 41-10? They'd be laughed at.

I dont think anyone knows where this train is headed. It is truly, the Wild Wild West.

I’d say that corporate sponsors are more important than boosters. And if Nike or whoever want Alabama to be good to support their investments into the program, they will make sure of it.

Take the basketball games the past week. Nike is having tournaments to highlight their sponsored teams. You don’t think they’re going to do everything they can in NIL deals to make sure those teams are stacked? They’ll do the same for football as well.

Reactions: MugNight

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021

I’m convinced that the Bama and UGAs (and LSU, Florida, Texas, whoever, etc) of the SEC will continue to get preferential treatment in scheduling and expanded CFP matchups selections. 8 conference games is a joke. Playing Little Sisters of the Poor the week before Thanksgiving is a joke.

You’ll never see Bama vs Ohio State in round one. The deck is stacked. If some teams falter, others will be anointed. I don’t see SMU or Miami becoming the next darling as long as they are in the ACC.

ESPN has too much money in it to let the money machine stop turning. The SEC footprint is the highest concentration of college football fans in the country. This is all red meat for them.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The big ten fans say that the big ten will never look at unequal distributions. Well, the new PAC schools were looking at it. If they take in a few of the ACC schools, they were looking at it. It is just a matter of time before the new guys start gaining a foothold and tell OSU and Michigan that they deserve way more than the other schools in the league. The big ten has always expanded somewhat slowly to absorb teams and get them into lockstep. This round along with the next could kill their culture.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone