Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Try rereading what I said, nowhere did I state ALL games would go to streaming, but it's crazy to think as much money as these networks paid the SEC and B10, that they are not going to show their games over ours. Our games will be moved to the secondary broadcasts, like ESPNU or FS1. Now if we get teams that start winning at high levels, then they might move back onto the major channels, but not until then. Fox is also planning on rotating games on their networks on Friday night between the B10, B12 and MWC.
Sorry, I guess when I read there will be few left over for both the ACC and B12 it would mean the B12 would rarely be on a linear network, which means if they are not available on a linear network they will have to be on ESPN+ streaming, mostly. If that is the case that is s substantial change from current. Your right you said Few, not all. So over the course of a season we will get a few games on linear? How many is that 2? 3? Few spots SHARED with the ACC, so we will get only a share of those FEW? Sure sounds like that is getting close to ALL?

I include FS1 with ESPN, being it is in more homes now than ESPN, so I still consider ESPN and FS1 a good billing, ESPN2 is close to the same sub number, then FS2, then ESPNU.

ABC,CBS,NBC,Fox according to Nielsen is available in about 120M homes.
FS1, ESPN, and ESPN2 all have about 70M subs (FS1 is now in slightly more homes than ESPN)
FS2 has about 50M subs
ESPNU and ESPN+ are both around 30M subs

And this is where I say...ESPN+ is getting close to passing ESPNU in subs.

And frankly, they want to drive subs on ESPN+, which is turning in to their money maker, so wouldnt they want to push some of the mighty SEC There?

B1G does not have a contract with ESPN/ABC? None of those spots will go to the B1G.
B1G has contract with and has to fill spots at BTN, NBC, CBS, and Fox/FS1. You think they will fill all of those and not have any left for B12?
Do you think the SEC will fill all the spots on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, that will force most of the ACC and B12 to ESPNU and ESPN+

Big 12 has contracts with Fox, where the ACC and SEC does not. B12 has contract with ABC/ESPN where the B1G does not.

No one has content from the PAC12 which used to have ABC/ESPN and Fox/FS1. Those spots will need to go somewhere, they wont all go to the SEC and B1G.

Is the B12 going to get all the marque spots? NO? Will there be a significant change during the life of the new contract to us having FEW of those spots. NO! Will the SEC and B1G get more of the better spots? Probably, but it has been that way for a long time.

We are going to be fine, we are going to be 3rd, but we are going to be fine.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The PAC is dead because they overplayed their hand. They were offered the exact same deal the Big 12 was first and turned it down due to incompetent leadership.

Had they been smart enough to take that deal, they would have done the poaching and the Big 12 is dead.
What you said makes sense because of the suspicious coincidence of the B1G similar payout for WA/OR. And the ACC/P12 though a tad lower, is still commensurate to your base comment. Sad, but too many coincidences to disregard coercion by the powers of the media. Just a birds eye opinion.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Sorry, I guess when I read there will be few left over for both the ACC and B12 it would mean the B12 would rarely be on a linear network, which means if they are not available on a linear network they will have to be on ESPN+ streaming, mostly. If that is the case that is s substantial change from current. Your right you said Few, not all. So over the course of a season we will get a few games on linear? How many is that 2? 3? Few spots SHARED with the ACC, so we will get only a share of those FEW? Sure sounds like that is getting close to ALL?

I include FS1 with ESPN, being it is in more homes now than ESPN, so I still consider ESPN and FS1 a good billing, ESPN2 is close to the same sub number, then FS2, then ESPNU.

ABC,CBS,NBC,Fox according to Nielsen is available in about 120M homes.
FS1, ESPN, and ESPN2 all have about 70M subs (FS1 is now in slightly more homes than ESPN)
FS2 has about 50M subs
ESPNU and ESPN+ are both around 30M subs

And this is where I say...ESPN+ is getting close to passing ESPNU in subs.

And frankly, they want to drive subs on ESPN+, which is turning in to their money maker, so wouldnt they want to push some of the mighty SEC There?

B1G does not have a contract with ESPN/ABC? None of those spots will go to the B1G.
B1G has contract with and has to fill spots at BTN, NBC, CBS, and Fox/FS1. You think they will fill all of those and not have any left for B12?
Do you think the SEC will fill all the spots on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, that will force most of the ACC and B12 to ESPNU and ESPN+

Big 12 has contracts with Fox, where the ACC and SEC does not. B12 has contract with ABC/ESPN where the B1G does not.

No one has content from the PAC12 which used to have ABC/ESPN and Fox/FS1. Those spots will need to go somewhere, they wont all go to the SEC and B1G.

Is the B12 going to get all the marque spots? NO? Will there be a significant change during the life of the new contract to us having FEW of those spots. NO! Will the SEC and B1G get more of the better spots? Probably, but it has been that way for a long time.

We are going to be fine, we are going to be 3rd, but we are going to be fine.
Take a breath man, we are playing for a ring in about 10 minutes. You are taking it entirely too literal. He said more games on secondary channels not that they would ALL be streaming.

• Creative
Reactions: 2speedy1

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
A positive for ESPN+, when I tuned in to watch the Cyclones last night and saw the SEC semifinal game was never going to end in time, normally that would mean we would miss however many minutes of our game. However, the little yellow box alerted me that the ISU game would be available on ESPN+. I tuned in, rewound the part of the broadcast that I missed, unfortunately it is not as simple to tune is as a cable channel so it took a while to bring it up. Once the broadcast "welcomed viewers who just finished watching the SEC game", I switched back to ESPN because the quality is just better. Then when the game ended, I jumped back over to ESPN+ to watch the after game festivities. Win-Win.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The new contract does not kick in until this fall I believe, that is when they will see a large jump in money coming in from the media. Both the B10 and SEC will move from out in front, to running away from the B12 and ACC in media money.
They will get a bump, but as another poster mentioned, the $85-$100M is an average over the 2023/24 to 2030 period. So it's what Big10 will make starting around 2027/28.

Regardless, the Big10/SEC will be $40M+ ahead of Big12/ACC based on recent CFP negotiations.

I mentioned in a prior post, but I feel the Big12 needs to be prepared to launch their own streaming platform in 2031. Why share advertising/ subscription revenue with ESPN? And that wouldn't preclude Big12 from selling premier games to CBS, NBC, Apple, etc. Or offer non- subscription games on the platform.

I don't feel that is a stretch if Disney takes ESPN to a DTC subscription service in the next 5 years.

• Creative
Reactions: Cloneon

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
They will get a bump, but as another poster mentioned, the $85-$100M is an average over the 2023/24 to 2030 period. So it's what Big10 will make starting around 2027/28.

Regardless, the Big10/SEC will be $40M+ ahead of Big12/ACC based on recent CFP negotiations.

I mentioned in a prior post, but I feel the Big12 needs to be prepared to launch their own streaming platform in 2031. Why share advertising/ subscription revenue with ESPN? And that wouldn't preclude Big12 from selling premier games to CBS, NBC, Apple, etc. Or offer non- subscription games on the platform.

I don't feel that is a stretch if Disney takes ESPN to a DTC subscription service in the next 5 years.
Nah that number kicks in fresh with the new expanded playoff, it doesn’t wait untill that far ahead.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I mean… they signed a GOR that says 1 and 2 are matter of fact.

Are they arguing that the contract is unlawful?
I think they’re trying to flex their legal muscle to finagle their way out. No idea if it’ll work, but this should be something to keep an eye on.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I think they’re trying to flex their legal muscle to finagle their way out. No idea if it’ll work, but this should be something to keep an eye on.
100%. It’s just hard to argue that a contract represented by thousands of billable hours of lawyers and multiple law firms, is unlawful. If GOR contracts are unlawful, then what happens to the others that are in use. They are the only thing truly binding these conferences together.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
100%. It’s just hard to argue that a contract represented by thousands of billable hours of lawyers and multiple law firms, is unlawful. If GOR contracts are unlawful, then what happens to the others that are in use. They are the only thing truly binding these conferences together.
I agree with you. Couple that with the billable hours that will go into this fight. Someone has to foot that bill. It will be costly no matter what happens.

IANAL, but I assume Clemson and FSU are ultimately posturing for a settlement that gets them out with reduced exit fees. At the same time, they are sewing doubt in the ACC. The major programs there know they will fall behind. What happens if UNC and UVA both blink and file suits on their own? 4 suits in 4 states would be quite a strain on the ACC. Promise of a safe landing in B1G, SEC, XII might push others to vote as a block to dissolve.

Heck, SMU is giving up a decade of TV money to be in P4. There’s no telling what those guys would do to stay on the raft.

Reactions: FerShizzle

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I agree with you. Couple that with the billable hours that will go into this fight. Someone has to foot that bill. It will be costly no matter what happens.

IANAL, but I assume Clemson and FSU are ultimately posturing for a settlement that gets them out with reduced exit fees. At the same time, they are sewing doubt in the ACC. The major programs there know they will fall behind. What happens if UNC and UVA both blink and file suits on their own? 4 suits in 4 states would be quite a strain on the ACC. Promise of a safe landing in B1G, SEC, XII might push others to vote as a block to dissolve.

Heck, SMU is giving up a decade of TV money to be in P4. There’s no telling what those guys would do to stay on the raft.

With how things are progressing, would the Big12 be a safe landing spot? If the Big10 and SEC are able to pick and choose from the ACC, we’re at the P2 goal, right? How long before they decide that the Big12 is at equal footing at the Mountain West?

The continuation of the ACC and its GOR is a good thing for the Big12.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
With how things are progressing, would the Big12 be a safe landing spot? If the Big10 and SEC are able to pick and choose from the ACC, we’re at the P2 goal, right? How long before they decide that the Big12 is at equal footing at the Mountain West?

We're already at the P2 level.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021

We absolutely need the ACC to remain viable if we think there’s a legit chance to counterbalance the P2 with a legit P4.

However, the B1G and SEC will always get theirs. XII may be fighting with the ACC for the scraps, and in that case we do want to be in “best of the the rest”.

The whole thing sucks.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I mean… they signed a GOR that says 1 and 2 are matter of fact.

Are they arguing that the contract is unlawful?
According to the Florida State lawsuit the GOR they signed was changed without them signing or voting on it.

The way I understand they signed a GOR that said ESPN would Pay until the end of the GoR then ESPN wanted the option to back out. So they changed the GOR to let them vacate or reduce the payout I believe in 2026. This was done without any knowledge of the universities involved and they never voted on it. Thus they are saying the GOR is invalid.

edit: Just saw where the ESPN opt out is 2025 not 2026.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FerShizzle

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
According to the Florida State lawsuit the GOR they signed was changed without them signing or voting on it.

The way I understand they signed a GOR that said ESPN would Pay until the end of the GoR then ESPN wanted the option to back out. So they changed the GOR to let them vacate or reduce the payout I believe in 2026. This was done without any knowledge of the universities involved and they never voted on it. Thus they are saying the GOR is invalid.
Whoa. That could make things interesting.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron