Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
I know it’s very unlikely this will ever gain traction but as a cyclone fan sign me up for that proposed division.

Keeps the Kansas schools, Iowa would be in the same division along with Minny, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Utah and BYU as outliers. Would be extremely fun and makes too much sense to ever happen.

I love it. No notes.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Sooo basically what is happening right now with no real changes then?
Yup. It (media bias and unequal revenue dustribution) is bad now and not likely to get a LOT worse or become nuclear (these top X teams are all we want now. The rest of you can go away.)

NIL, if not governed will be where most of the damage could be done IMHO.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Patrick Crakes and Bill Hancock (and I believe Bob Thompson) have said on 365 Sports that people will watch a Super League ("and will love it" per Patrick Crakes). I disagree. Crakes said it will be about a 30 team league and that people watching college football are not affiliated with the teams. When the 365 Sports guys pointed out the Super League soccer failed in Europe due to the fans, Crakes said it was just delayed and will happen.
OK. So, either Crakes, Hancock, or Thompson have the primary marketing data. I'll check with ine of them then. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I found the nil section interesting.

NIL

The deck proposes a national broadcast NIL (BNIL) construct whereby players receive pro rata shares of a collectively bargained “FB Player Pool,” which would come from the Super League’s TV money. That money would be distributed as follows: 5% to all rostered freshmen, 15% to all rostered sophomores, 30% for all rostered juniors and 50% for all rostered seniors and graduate students.

As another means of maintaining competitive equity, the pitch deck proposes a cap that would constrain how much a program’s athletes could cumulatively earn via NIL. The suggested “NIL Roster Cap” would mandate that individual NIL payments for football players at a single school not exceed those earned via group licensing and broadcast NIL (BNIL) deals.

If a school exceeds the cap for a season, then it would be punished by losing transfer slots, and possibly scholarship slots. If, on the other hand, a school were to fall below 80% of a pre-established “NIL Roster Floor” for two consecutive seasons, it would be relegated to the Under League until it could sustain a full season above the floor.
That has less chance of ever happening than I have of getting Scarlett Johansson, Kiera Knightley, Mila Kunis, Ana de Armas, Gal Gadot, and Emily Blunt lined up on consecutive nights.

1. The big dogs will NEVER agree to anything that creates a level NIL playing ground as it's a HUGE advantage for them
  2. NIL is basically endorsement money and while there are examples of it being capped as a single endorsement amount in one contract, it's very easy to get around by breaking it up into smaller NIL deals that add up to the same. Legally there can never be a cap on the number of NIL deals a player can get - thus how much they can make.
  3. What it's talking about it basically a pay structure for players becoming employees. While that is probably inevitable, there will be no chance in hell the big dogs are going to limit both salary and NIL. Possibly they could get on board with an employee salary cap, but then they'd absolutely leave the door wide open on NIL. The result is even worse for schools like ISU where now every player in every sports has to be paid and you take a huge swatch of funds out of the AD's budget.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
That has less chance of ever happening than I have of getting Scarlett Johansson, Kiera Knightley, Mila Kunis, Ana de Armas, Gal Gadot, and Emily Blunt lined up on consecutive nights.

1. The big dogs will NEVER agree to anything that creates a level NIL playing ground as it's a HUGE advantage for them
  2. NIL is basically endorsement money and while there are examples of it being capped as a single endorsement amount in one contract, it's very easy to get around by breaking it up into smaller NIL deals that add up to the same. Legally there can never be a cap on the number of NIL deals a player can get - thus how much they can make.
  3. What it's talking about it basically a pay structure for players becoming employees. While that is probably inevitable, there will be no chance in hell the big dogs are going to limit both salary and NIL. Possibly they could get on board with an employee salary cap, but then they'd absolutely leave the door wide open on NIL. The result is even worse for schools like ISU where now every player in every sports has to be paid and you take a huge swatch of funds out of the AD's budget.
Despite whatever advantages some schools may have, the existing NIL/Pay for Play climate is not sustainable for the long term which is the impetus for the Super League NIL proposal. Even Ohio St knows that.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Despite whatever advantages some schools may have, the existing NIL/Pay for Play climate is not sustainable for the long term which is the impetus for the Super League NIL proposal. Even Ohio St knows that.
May I ask why? I’m not an advocate for it in any way but people keep mentioning this but never actually say why. What’s going to change in the next couple years that make it unsustainable?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
May I ask why? I’m not an advocate for it in any way but people keep mentioning this but never actually say why. What’s going to change in the next couple years that make it unsustainable?
Donor fatigue - already seeing this already to some extent at TX A&M who got burnt with their lack of FB success despite heavy NIL investments. They are now losing some top players due to acquiring more money elsewhere. As Blum mentioned on a recent pod with CW, the current climate is based solely on ROE (Return on Emotion) and that is not sustainable for the long term for the vast majority of donors who contribute significantly to NIL/Pay for Play collectives.

Existing transfer rules make existing athlete retention/migration transactional for one year deals only and annual rampant free agency. No pro league that I'm aware of has ever survived with similar rules for the long term.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Which G5 schools file lawsuits for not being included? How do they determine who the "Under League" teams will be?
The G5 is included. They play to get into the Under League in a relegation/promotion style. Every G5 will get a shot to play their way into that, and the winner of the Under League is in the playoffs.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Donor fatigue - already seeing this already to some extent at TX A&M who got burnt with their lack of FB success despite heavy NIL investments. They are now losing some top players due to acquiring more money elsewhere. As Blum mentioned on a recent pod with CW, the current climate is based solely on ROE (Return on Emotion) and that is not sustainable for the long term for the vast majority of donors who contribute significantly to NIL/Pay for Play collectives.

Existing transfer rules make existing athlete retention/migration transactional for one year deals only and annual rampant free agency. No pro league that I'm aware of has ever survived with similar rules for the long term.
That's the bigger issue. No other league on the planet allows all players to be unrestricted free agents after every season. Guarantee fans and donors will lose interest in basketball over the long term for sure since it's amplified there. Seems to be less of an issue with football though.
Still I don't think the big schools will willingly give up their big tv contracts for the health of the sport. That's the other big issue in american sports, no one is looking out for the overall health of college sports, everyone at the top is only looking out for themselves and their next check.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

College sports just can't have a transactional relationship at this level

The connection to the school and players is what makes it fun. If everyone is seen as just a gun for hire then we better really love the name on the front of the jersey. Otherwise I'm not giving a ****.

• Disagree

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Donor fatigue kinda solves the NIL problem for itself then. Also the transfer rule is a separate thing but I don’t see that changing anytime soon nor should it.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
College sports just can't have a transactional relationship at this level

The connection to the school and players is what makes it fun. If everyone is seen as just a gun for hire then we better really love the name on the front of the jersey. Otherwise I'm not giving a ****.
Really? So you hated that first sweet 16 run after the 2 win season becuase of all the transfers that led the team? That seems wild considering how hyped everyone on here was.

Reactions: HoopsTournament

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Disagree. It might level off, and I could see it wax and wane a bit at any given school, but I think there will always be enough schools spending that others will have to respond.

It's the Prisoner's Dilemma for big money boosters.

The bolded I totally agree with. It's such a wild-west cluster right now, and will only get worse. CFB needs a governing body in the worst way, and the NCAA has "resigned to spend time with family". The conferences are in charge (with their media puppet masters) and they are motivated by their own money, power and influence. SOMEONE needs to take over the whole mess, establish a semblance of sanity and competitive balance (and dare I say, protect the players interests too). But how to get the SEC & B1G to agree and play nice, when it's not in their immediate interest and they are in charge already?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Really? So you hated that first sweet 16 run after the 2 win season becuase of all the transfers that led the team? That seems wild considering how hyped everyone on here was.

I don't like basketball.

But the offseason drama makes it difficult to enjoy any part of the sport. Will they stay? Is the check big enough? Cinderella gets blown apart for cash. Bring on the fairweather fans.

College is now professional. If it's professional then I have a better chance at following a player on my pro team.

While I'll try to watch or listen to an ISU football game the fire is much lower and extinguished for any games other than ISU.

• Informative

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I don't like basketball.

But the offseason drama makes it difficult to enjoy any part of the sport. Will they stay? Is the check big enough? Cinderella gets blown apart for cash. Bring on the fairweather fans.

College is now professional. If it's professional then I have a better chance at following a player on my pro team.

While I'll try to watch or listen to an ISU football game the fire is much lower and extinguished for any games other than ISU.
Interesting takes but appreciate the response

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Maybe I missed it but the whole purpose of this new proposal was to either have a plan in place when the system comes crashing down via lawsuits or do this to prevent the lawsuits and liability.

The big dogs will have to agree or else the penalties will be so astronomical that they will have to start cutting tons of sports.

(No one knows anything but if lawsuits happen, I put it at 30-40% chance in the next dozen years that something is gonna have to change)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Maybe I missed it but the whole purpose of this new proposal was to either have a plan in place when the system comes crashing down via lawsuits or do this to prevent the lawsuits and liability.

The big dogs will have to agree or else the penalties will be so astronomical that they will have to start cutting tons of sports.

(No one knows anything but if lawsuits happen, I put it at 30-40% chance in the next dozen years that something is gonna have to change)
Besides the employment lawsuit (potentially) which ones are you thinking would happen?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Donor fatigue kinda solves the NIL problem for itself then. Also the transfer rule is a separate thing but I don’t see that changing anytime soon nor should it.
Transfer rules aren't a separate thing. Unlimited and unfettered transfer rules completely change the NIL/Pay for Pay market on an annual basis.

And donor fatigue will never get to the point that it solves the NIL problem although there will be an increse of noticeable pockets of it.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Transfer rules aren't a separate thing. Unlimited and unfettered transfer rules completely change the NIL/Pay for Pay market on an annual basis.

And donor fatigue will never get to the point that it solves the NIL problem although there will be an increse of noticeable pockets of it.
They are a separate thing but yes they are intertwined.

The transfer rules aren’t going anywhere nor should they. Every athlete should be able to transfer the way a normal student or the majority of employees are. Circumstances change and they should be able to take advantage.

If it makes the job harder for the coach then so what, it’s what your getting paid millions a year to manage and plenty of people would happily take over that position.