Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It all depends on the money.

If the money in a future contract is not a significant increase or even a decrease and some media carrier goes to the power teams in those conferences and offers a huge increase to leave, it is possible. Even if a future contract increases, but someone offers a large increase outside that contract for certain teams it would become a possibility. And I am sure there would be teams giving it a serious look, if offered.

Do you think if someone like Apple came to a team like Ohio State or Alabama and offered them a $100M per year pay bump to leave and create a new league, they would not at least give it a serious consideration?
Very fair point and they would be foolish not to at least consider it. My big push back was on the 70 team league floating around and being discussed the other possibilities in your previous post I think are more likely even though I don’t necessarily think any of those are probable.

Your point about it all comes down to who is driving the change is the most important in my opinion. Sadly I think that’s going to be the P2 which is why I’m pessimistic about the other outcomes. I would have no problem going back to the smaller leagues although I would want an 11 team league to get Penn state

Reactions: 2speedy1

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
What schools are willingly leaving the big ten and SEC? You think Penn State wouldn’t be pissed?

Also for those remaining schools if you balance it out based on TV ratings do you think your Purdues and Miss St’s of the world are going to be happy taking a 50mil pay cut because they don’t draw well on TV? How frequently are you rebalanced for that unequal revenue sharing? That proposal is just going to send even more money to the Michigans and Bamas of the world. Not exactly balanced, you just end up with the same outcome it’s just repackaged.
Penn St is one vote. I am willing to bet that if the payouts remained essentially the same or higher, the core 10 members would vote yes to downsize the conference to 10 schools instead of their current BS setup of 18.

The unequal revenue sharing model would likely have 60%-70% of the total revenue pie shared equally amongst the 70 schools. The other 30%-40% would be allocated to the conferences based on TV ratings. It would be up to the conference to share equally amongst its members or do further allocation based on TV ratings. That seems like a reasonable model and if it likely makes the core ten B10 members more money, no reason for them to vote against it along with the numerous benefits of going back to 10 members.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Cool. Who’s reporting that? What is their proof? Is the actual fund disclosing that information? NIL funds are extremely tight lipped on this part and very little is public. The agents and reps have every reason to inflate those numbers or flat out lie. I’ve been involved in NIL since the beginning, my second ever thread on this board was talking about how you should make the collective and I was dumbed out of existence saying that’s not how this works, and ISU would never, so trust me I’m aware. Those numbers are insanely inflated and also only the big ones are the ones getting reported (almost always by agents). Most NIL is for a pretty small amount paid to every athlete then the stars/transfers get the bigger pay days.

Edit* basketball usually has a higher number then football and I had no idea who Perkins was so I just assumed football, my bad on that one.
Since you are an insider, you know how much these athletes are being paid, why don't you tell us? I mean if all those reports of athletes like the QB from Tennessee getting paid 8 million to sign there is incorrect, why are you and other NIL's not out there saying its nothing close to that? It would be in your benefit to discount these stories as false, to actually help your school sign players. The only paper trail is going to be to the IRS, we both know that, and I am sure that people are going to get cheated. Really you have never heard of Tony Perkins from EIU, you know they played and beat MSU a couple of times but you never heard of him. OK.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Penn St is one vote. I am willing to bet that if the payouts remained essentially the same or higher, the core 10 members would vote yes to downsize the conference to 10 schools instead of their current BS setup of 18.

The unequal revenue sharing model would likely have 60%-70% of the total revenue pie shared equally amongst the 70 schools. The other 30%-40% would be allocated to the conferences based on TV ratings. It would be up to the conference to share equally amongst its members or do further allocation based on TV ratings. That seems like a reasonable model and if it likely makes the core ten B10 members more money, no reason for them to vote against it along with the numerous benefits of going back to 10 members.
Don’t see the math on how it would make more for the members of the big ten or SEC. Penn state has been in the big ten for over 30 years so that’s pretty core at this point. Also no school is voting to kick a member out, that would have to be a unanimous agreement which would never happen in the big ten or SEC.

If there was that much money out there the PAC wouldn’t have collapsed and nether would the ACC be on the ropes.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Since you are an insider, you know how much these athletes are being paid, why don't you tell us? I mean if all those reports of athletes like the QB from Tennessee getting paid 8 million to sign there is incorrect, why are you and other NIL's not out there saying its nothing close to that? It would be in your benefit to discount these stories as false, to actually help your school sign players. The only paper trail is going to be to the IRS, we both know that, and I am sure that people are going to get cheated. Really you have never heard of Tony Perkins from EIU, you know they played and beat MSU a couple of times but you never heard of him. OK.
Yeah I’ve never heard of Perkins, I don’t usually waste time following Iowa basketball just like I don’t know anyone who plays for Nebraska or Penn state, or even Maryland unless it’s a star or someone that has been there forever and is a major thorn in our side like Bouie from Northwestern.

For the NIL side it’s a little different as both Michigan schools were in a weird sport with NIL. The collectives only pay out around 30K for sparty football, Michigan used to be the same but the money cannon went off a bit last year and guys are getting 50-60K. The stars are a bit different. Sparty doesn’t have any so that’s a moot point although our new QB transfer got a good chunk, around 600K.

Michigan is another animal for the stars but it’s mainly for returning stars. Corum was making over a mil and so was JJ. That’s not coming from the collectives though, that’s coming from smaller groups and specific targeted funds, sometimes even individual investors. Those are the bigger paydays you hear about not the random second string DB that makes up the majority of the team.

NIL funds don’t make too much noise because each state has slightly different rules and a lot of them are kinda skating legal boundaries when it comes to being a charity or non profit. It’s not like anyone has ever shown a receipt for the claims you only hear about funds not delivering what was promised.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If there was that much money out there the PAC wouldn’t have collapsed and nether would the ACC be on the ropes.
That's BS.

ESPN and Fox want to limit their CFB spending with consolidation and they are the ones feeding the anti-Super League sentiment with 70 schools. Fox killed off the PAC and ESPN is planning to do likewise with the ACC. They also want to keep Apple, Amazon, etc. out of CFB as well. This nonsense is all being driven by them and Sankey/Petitti are their puppets.

And the math is this as repeated multiple times to you. Aggregate TV rights into one package and bid out NFL style to all networks including deep pocketed streamers. That will increase the total revenue pie and with unequal revenue sharing based on TV ratings, the B10 and SEC continue to make more than the other conferences.

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
That's BS.

ESPN and Fox want to limit their CFB spending with consolidation and they are the ones feeding the anti-Super League sentiment with 70 schools. Fox killed off the PAC and ESPN is planning to do likewise with the ACC. They also want to keep Apple, Amazon, etc. out of CFB as well. This nonsense is all being driven by them and Sankey/Petitti are their puppets.

And the math is this as repeated multiple times to you. Aggregate TV rights into one package and bid out NFL style to all networks including deep pocketed streamers. That will increase the total revenue pie and with unequal revenue sharing based on TV ratings, the B10 and SEC continue to make more than the other conferences.
Might want to loosen the tin foil for the first paragraph my man. They can’t keep Apple or Amazon out, they don’t own the product. Pac12 could have gone that route but the money wasn’t they and they didn’t want to go full streaming yet.

Feel free to show the math if you’re so confident in it, I would be interested to see how each big ten and SEC team makes more, is guaranteed to continue to always make equal or more then what they are making now in their current set up. I’m open to be proven wrong. But just waving your hand and saying the money is there and everyone will be making more is kinda a pipe dream.

You bought the private equity line just like healthcare did and look at what a disaster that is for everyone.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Yeah I’ve never heard of Perkins, I don’t usually waste time following Iowa basketball just like I don’t know anyone who plays for Nebraska or Penn state, or even Maryland unless it’s a star or someone that has been there forever and is a major thorn in our side like Bouie from Northwestern.

For the NIL side it’s a little different as both Michigan schools were in a weird sport with NIL. The collectives only pay out around 30K for sparty football, Michigan used to be the same but the money cannon went off a bit last year and guys are getting 50-60K. The stars are a bit different. Sparty doesn’t have any so that’s a moot point although our new QB transfer got a good chunk, around 600K.

Michigan is another animal for the stars but it’s mainly for returning stars. Corum was making over a mil and so was JJ. That’s not coming from the collectives though, that’s coming from smaller groups and specific targeted funds, sometimes even individual investors. Those are the bigger paydays you hear about not the random second string DB that makes up the majority of the team.

NIL funds don’t make too much noise because each state has slightly different rules and a lot of them are kinda skating legal boundaries when it comes to being a charity or non profit. It’s not like anyone has ever shown a receipt for the claims you only hear about funds not delivering what was promised.
So you have no clue of a player on another conference team that beat your team? But call yourself a fan of MSU and the B10 in general? So MSU signed a guy to 600K, little more than the 20/30K you said they were getting.

Lets look at this again, when a player signs with MSU they start at 20/30K a year, and as their playing time increases, so does their salary.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Might want to loosen the tin foil for the first paragraph my man. They can’t keep Apple or Amazon out, they don’t own the product. Pac12 could have gone that route but the money wasn’t they and they didn’t want to go full streaming yet.

Feel free to show the math if you’re so confident in it, I would be interested to see how each big ten and SEC team makes more, is guaranteed to continue to always make equal or more then what they are making now in their current set up. I’m open to be proven wrong. But just waving your hand and saying the money is there and everyone will be making more is kinda a pipe dream.

You bought the private equity line just like healthcare did and look at what a disaster that is for everyone.
Apple and Amazon had little incentive to bid higher on the PAC with no guaranteed access to the CFP and only West Coast region exposure. They would surely bid higher on a package that would not only include a 10 team PAC but at least one other conference in the ET and CT time zones along with access to some CFP games. That would happen with TV rights aggregation by the Super League and bidding out multi-conference bundles with CFP access. And the competition provided by Apple/Amazon would also drive up bidding from ESPN and Fox.

That is how it works in the NFL with extreme success and there is no reason to believe that it wouldn't provide higher payouts to every team in a 70 team Super League with that process.

As noted in the Athletic, the B10 and SEC won't speak to the Super League Committee because they don't want to piss off ESPN and Fox. That there proves the ongoing ESPN/Fox puppeteering of Sankey and Petitti.

And the ESPN/Fox shenanigans were further displayed by the recent CFP bidding process. Back in January, Fox claims they were going all in on CFP bidding. Then it is disclosed that ESPN submitted the only bid and the CFP Committee granted them a sub licensing option. Well guess what that means? ESPN will probably sublicense some CFP games to Fox to both of their benefit. ESPN being the only CFP bidder reduced the overall price and both of them can now reap the benefits of that process. And without any regular season games, there was no reason for Apple or Amazon to bid on the CFP.

• Winner
Reactions: Die4Cy

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So you have no clue of a player on another conference team that beat your team? But call yourself a fan of MSU and the B10 in general? So MSU signed a guy to 600K, little more than the 20/30K you said they were getting.

Lets look at this again, when a player signs with MSU they start at 20/30K a year, and as their playing time increases, so does their salary.
Yeah man there’s a bunch of teams in the conference, I don’t know the starters on every team, that’s not unusual in any way epically for a team I never think about like Iowa. I mean i knew Garza and Murray to an extent but that was about it besides the coaches kid. I don’t even know the coaches at most of the bottom feeder teams for basketball. Not really that unusual and you would be very hard pressed to find a big ten fan who the knew the starters for every team or even the coaches.

To an extent that they prove themselves but plenty of starters are still right in that range, now things could certainly shift because the football program was a dumpster fire the past 2 seasons but that’s the was it was.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Apple and Amazon had little incentive to bid higher on the PAC with no guaranteed access to the CFP and only West Coast region exposure. They would surely bid higher on a package that would not only include a 10 team PAC but at least one other conference in the ET and CT time zones along with access to some CFP games. That would happen with TV rights aggregation by the Super League and bidding out multi-conference bundles with CFP access. And the competition provided by Apple/Amazon would also drive up bidding from ESPN and Fox.

That is how it works in the NFL with extreme success and there is no reason to believe that it wouldn't provide higher payouts to every team in a 70 team Super League with that process.

As noted in the Athletic, the B10 and SEC won't speak to the Super League Committee because they don't want to piss off ESPN and Fox. That there proves the ongoing ESPN/Fox puppeteering of Sankey and Petitti.

And the ESPN/Fox shenanigans were further displayed by the recent CFP bidding process. Back in January, Fox claims they were going all in on CFP bidding. Then it is disclosed that ESPN submitted the only bid and the CFP Committee granted them a sub licensing option. Well guess what that means? ESPN will probably sublicense some CFP games to Fox to both of their benefit. ESPN being the only CFP bidder reduced the overall price and both of them can now reap the benefits of that process. And without any regular season games, there was no reason for Apple or Amazon to bid on the CFP.
Well let’s start with the nfl having 32 equal teams. 70 is more then double with teams that are in no way shape or form equal so that’s why it doesn’t work.

Again you keep bringing up the math so show me the math.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

I think it is fair to say that most of these players if not all are not getting the huge numbers from the collectives. The collectives for the most part are to spread it around more.

When you see some start getting millions it is not from the collectives. It is from a big booster, that used to do it under the table, but now with the NIL they say it is for some random appearance or ad poster.

The big money is coming from that big donor or donors that own some business etc. They give the player the big money then hang a picture on the business wall saying it was for the players NIL.

I dont believe too many if any of the Collectives are giving anywhere near what some of these players want or claim to get. I know I have seen lists online of what the top players are making in NIL, and for the most part that is coming from things like ads etc. Think Clark singing out of tune on State Farm ads.

• Winner

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Well let’s start with the nfl having 32 equal teams. 70 is more then double with teams that are in no way shape or form equal so that’s why it doesn’t work.

Again you keep bringing up the math so show me the math.
I obviously don't have the numbers but the NFL process works to their extreme benefit as it would for CFB. And ESPN and Fox know this which is why they want to continue to manipulate the sport to their financial benefit.

And as noted multiple times to you already and which you are proving to be incapable of comprehending, the CFB model would include unequal revenue sharing to the B10 and SEC's benefit.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I obviously don't have the numbers but the NFL process works to their extreme benefit as it would for CFB. And ESPN and Fox know this which is why they want to continue to manipulate the sport to their financial benefit.

And as noted multiple times to you already and which you are proving to be incapable of comprehending, the CFB model would include unequal revenue sharing to the B10 and SEC's benefit.
My man you were the one who kept referencing the math and now you don’t have or know the numbers? So what math am I supposed to be looking at? As also stated cfb doesn’t work the same way as nfl, way more teams, zero parity, zero draft etc.

That’s why I asked for the math, because cfb and the NFL are fundamentally not the same so you can’t just hand wave that away saying it would work when they aren’t even comparable

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
My man you were the one who kept referencing the math and now you don’t have or know the numbers? So what math am I supposed to be looking at? As also stated cfb doesn’t work the same way as nfl, way more teams, zero parity, zero draft etc.

That’s why I asked for the math, because cfb and the NFL are fundamentally not the same so you can’t just hand wave that away saying it would work when they aren’t even comparable
Focus on two things, the NFL TV rights process which CFB doesn't follow and ESPN/Fox manipulation to prevent the NFL process and destroy schools like ORSt and Wazzu in doing so (with potentially more coming).

That should tell you right there that the NFL TV rights process would be mathematically favorable for all of CFB including the B10 and SEC.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Focus on two things, the NFL TV rights process which CFB doesn't follow and ESPN/Fox manipulation to prevent the NFL process and destroy schools like ORSt and Wazzu in doing so (with potentially more coming).

That should tell you right there that the NFL TV rights process would be mathematically favorable for all of CFB including the B10 and SEC.
Focus on one thing for me, college football is not the NFL. It has no semblance to the NFL except that it plays essentially the same game. This isn’t hard man.

The NFL only works because it has 32 equal teams and a draft. That’s it. It has parity. College football does not, never has, and no system really exists to get it that way even if the dollars are equal.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Focus on one thing for me, college football is not the NFL. It has no semblance to the NFL except that it plays essentially the same game. This isn’t hard man.

The NFL only works because it has 32 equal teams and a draft. That’s it. It has parity. College football does not, never has, and no system really exists to get it that way even if the dollars are equal.
I tend to think whether we like it or not, we are working towards this super league for football. Now is that 3 years or 20 years no one seems to know but that is the path them most seem to think we are moving towards.
Football is broken off from the conference, and X number of teams will be playing most games against those at that level. I think the 70 would be to include every school that desires to play at the higher level. Eliminates the possibility of a lawsuit down the road if you let everyone in that wants to try to compete.
All teams would be required to follow the same rules regarding NIL, players transfer and the rest of it. You are correct you can never have a true parity, like the NFL, but you can do things that brings you closer to it. Example each school gets 10 million for NIL per year, you go over you forfeit scholarships the next season. Sure, the Alabama's of the world are always going to get first choice of the players pool, but if they are limited on the amount, they can pay them, that will force them to pick and choose which players they want and stay under the cap.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I haven't seen any marketing data published. I have seen the knucklehead Tony Altimore publish his viewpoint that 50% of the viewership is due to 18 teams.

Crakes and Thompson are former Fox executives who I assume are as tuned in to marketing data as anyone can be, and they view that the super league will be the future. But I agree with you and not them that this super league will have a hard time getting traction when they exclude fans of the schools not in the super league.

Well they have a point there. I definitely watched several of those team this year. Tx and OK so I could see how the conference all measured up to each other. OSt, MI, Penn St., and Wisky would have been in the running to see them wipe up the floor with Iowa (If it wasn't a blow out, I'd leave.) Alabama, Clemson, ND and Georgia would get me to tune in IF I saw they were down in the second half.

Otherwise, I would not really seek out any of these teams for any reason. I'm a college sports fan. BUT, I am really an ISU fan with a college sports adjacency to my ISU fandom. If it doesn't really have relevance to the Cyclones, I'm not going to seek it out. All of the things above that I mentioned are primarily due to hatred. If those teams leave and form some super group. I will no longer hate them or care about how they did against a common competitor, or anything. They will be less relevant to me than the second pro league becuase it is possible that an ISU player might be on one of those teams and I'd watch that sometimes.

I just wonder how many fans are like me OR are really going to be fans of the third best football league (maybe 4th with CFL thrown in) in North America whose schools they have NO affiliation with.

Reactions: Cloneon

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Altimore refuses to understand the most important factor in ratings is less the team than the media that it is being shown on and the time. Without factoring that in, the data is crap.

Most college fans are going to view their favorite team first and foremost, once their game is over, they are then either going to view teams from their conference or the best games left to play. Put Alabama on a streaming service and you are not going to get great ratings for the game, if it was true then the Longhorn network would have made money instead of losing money every year of the contract.
Please stop bringing logic and facts to this. I like the sport of "wall **** throwing" that these guys do. You may be their ultimate demise.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Altimore refuses to understand the most important factor in ratings is less the team than the media that it is being shown on and the time. Without factoring that in, the data is crap.

Most college fans are going to view their favorite team first and foremost, once their game is over, they are then either going to view teams from their conference or the best games left to play. Put Alabama on a streaming service and you are not going to get great ratings for the game, if it was true then the Longhorn network would have made money instead of losing money every year of the contract.
What was there, one football game on the LHN? As a subscription per team in the NFL or NBA and you’d see a decline too, not sure how it’s relevant.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron