Recruit List (Online Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
But honestly I just really hope we can bring in two of those guys as the core and supplement the class with others, much like 2013's class.
I agree, and depending on our success in the spring decommit and transfer market, we need a scoring post and length. I am really found of mixing in a seasoned transfer or two to keep on improving the talent level.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
For the 2014 class, I personally would like to see Abu and Terrell (since they would like to go to school with each other), Vaughn, and Travis, assuming that scholly will be open

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I would like Custer, but I think Naz and Monte are our future at point

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I would like Custer, but I think Naz and Monte are our future at point

Ya getting a post and a wing are probably the more important holes to fill next year although you probably can't pass up a player like Custer.

Overall though our backcourt seems like its in good hands for several more years.

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
Love how Hoiberg said Morris was 6'3 and still growing. Tall point guards are a huge advantage. Look at Diante. He was able to drive and score over his defender.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I think Custer is a real possibility.

I think if Kansas offers him he will sign the day they offer. I don't think we will get him considering Jones will start the 2014-15 season when Custer is a freshman. Then he will have to compete with Naz and Monte his Sophomore season. Monte his junior season.

We clearly need big men for our 2014 class since we will lose Ejim and Amardi after the 2013-14 season.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
nallen34 just briliant! Seriously though, I believe an accurate guess on Custer! If Kansas gives him an offer, he is theres. I know everyone is high on Maurice Jones seeing some serious minutes and the possibility of starting,but I have my doubts.. I don't think there is any question we need to go after a big man by either high school recruitment or transfer. You create very interesting posts that enjoyable to read!

I think if Kansas offers him he will sign the day they offer. I don't think we will get him considering Jones will start the 2014-15 season when Custer is a freshman. Then he will have to compete with Naz and Monte his Sophomore season. Monte his junior season.

We clearly need big men for our 2014 class since we will lose Ejim and Amardi after the 2013-14 season.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
we really need to end this obsession with having just one PG, or one guy who can dribble, or one guy who can shoot. jones, custer, morris, thomas, naz, SDW etc are all combo type players - that's incredibly important. we need guards who can handle the ball, shoot, and pass, and can really run. a kid like custer can come get minutes as a freshman but not have to put the team on his back, and then he's really seasoned as a jr and can take over when naz/jones aren't here anymore.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

This is nonsense. You don't think KU has equal or better guards in their program? Playing time is a good tool to use but if you are the caliber to get offered by a big time program like KU, UK, UL, etc, then playing time wont be what seals the decision for you.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This is nonsense. You don't think KU has equal or better guards in their program? Playing time is a good tool to use but if you are the caliber to get offered by a big time program like KU, UK, UL, etc, then playing time wont be what seals the decision for you.

Actually, each kid is different so speculating why or why not he would come to ISU is just that...speculation. Calling it nonsense may be 100% wrong.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
For the 2014 class, I personally would like to see Abu and Terrell (since they would like to go to school with each other), Vaughn, and Travis, assuming that scholly will be open

that would be an awesome class, top10 easily, but Vaughn looks like the best shot right now, Abu and Terrell are now getting recruited by everyone out east. I'd feel better if they would taken an unofficial here already or plan to this winter. Vaughn at least has been here several times and has ties

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Actually, each kid is different so speculating why or why not he would come to ISU is just that...speculation. Calling it nonsense may be 100% wrong.

What is nonsense is thinking a recruit will have a better chance to play at KU than ISU. That's the point.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
What is nonsense is thinking a recruit will have a better chance to play at KU than ISU. That's the point.
Yet kids (some) are drawn to bluebloods like moths to light regardless of the PT situation. Especially when a lot of kids think they can play right away no matter where they go. Once again, it's not nonsense.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Yet kids (some) are drawn to bluebloods like moths to light regardless of the PT situation. Especially when a lot of kids think they can play right away no matter where they go. Once again, it's not nonsense.

I think we are essentially saying the same thing. So saying that, I assume we can say the following is most likely.
-High level recruits are not intimidated about playing time because they think they can play anywhere. Though one's reason of choosing a school (Prestige, coach, fans, atmosphere, etc) may vary
-A recruit will not feel his likelyhood of playing is higher at KU than ISU

if you agree, then arguing with me is pointless.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think we are essentially saying the same thing. So saying that, I assume we can say the following is most likely.
-High level recruits are not intimidated about playing time because they think they can play anywhere. Though one's reason of choosing a school (Prestige, coach, fans, atmosphere, etc) may vary
-A recruit will not feel his likelyhood of playing is higher at KU than ISU

if you agree, then arguing with me is pointless.

I agree...how boring.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
we really need to end this obsession with having just one PG, or one guy who can dribble, or one guy who can shoot. jones, custer, morris, thomas, naz, SDW etc are all combo type players -
..but we also really need to end the obsession with defining everything by offense. Also, since when are we considering the pg as the one who can dribble and the sg the only one that can shoot? There has never been a time when we did not expect all guard positions to be able to do both- does not mean they are combo guards.
Custer is not a combo guard, and I have my doubts Jones is as well. Certainly we would not want Jones and Custer defending the many longer, bigger guards in this league, and thus could not play them together. Thomas is as about as pure a sg as there is, not a combo guard.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
..but we also really need to end the obsession with defining everything by offense. Also, since when are we considering the pg as the one who can dribble and the sg the only one that can shoot? There has never been a time when we did not expect all guard positions to be able to do both- does not mean they are combo guards.
Custer is not a combo guard, and I have my doubts Jones is as well. Certainly we would not want Jones and Custer defending the many longer, bigger guards in this league, and thus could not play them together. Thomas is as about as pure a sg as there is, not a combo guard.

you're going to be surprised by thomas' ability to dribble against pressure, and penetrate to finish/pass. that's my definition of "combo."

Status
Not open for further replies.