RECRUITING: 6-8 four-star A'mare Bynum talks Iowa State visit, may not be done growing yet

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I’m not saying he is good enough to be one and done right now. I’m just saying he might be one and done anyway. I hope he stays and turns the corner. He has tons of potential. Which is why he might go g league to improve.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
He’s not improving sitting on the bench! If he loves ISU like he says he might be here for awhile!

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Omaha might be your non-traditional one and done. He is not going one and then NBA Lottery Pick done. He is likely going one and UDFA done, and develop in the G League, like you said. It sucks but hope he can at least kind of figure it out while he's in Ames. I am starting to wonder if we should even be hopeful for a 2nd season for him. He has looked that bad. Might be best for him to just move on and let TJ use the scholarship productively.
Omaha hasn't produced yet, but his talent alone is worth keeping a scholarship for him next year. Saying that it's best for him to move on so that TJ can use the scholarship productively is laughable. I'm incredibly frustrated with Omaha's inability to make an impact yet, but if he ever figures it out then he's going to be a stud.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
FWIW i saw espn's most recent mock draft and omaha was not on it.
Unless Omaha makes a huge leap, there's no way he's getting drafted. His initial plan was one year here and he's gone no matter what, even if that means being in the G League for a bit. I wonder with NIL though and the fact that playing Big 12 basketball is on another level (not G League but still) if he'd reconsider.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Tomorrow will be 9 and it still looks like he’s not one and done.

Some people think this is still the days of Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler going #2 and #4 in the same draft straight out of high school with no tape other than high school basketball and only 2-3 foreign players a year getting drafted. Those days are ancient history.

The domestic players all get at least a year of footage vs NCAA/Gleague/OvertimeElite and the foreign players all have several years playing against players typically better than NCAA caliber, grown man pros. The NBA doesn't just ignore that "one and done" year of real footage they get to see now for American players and more importantly about a third of all drafted players are foreign now. They can go to European leagues and find young players the same age putting up big numbers against pros like Melvin Ejim, Matt Thomas, Naz Long etc in the prime of their grown man playing years, they can find 20 year olds who have been doing that for 4-5 years and already living the life of a pro athlete.

I know in the NFL threads I often make comments that expose me a casual fan, but when NBA and the draft comes up here sometimes I wonder if people have even followed it at all since the 80s or 90s.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Unless Omaha makes a huge leap, there's no way he's getting drafted. His initial plan was one year here and he's gone no matter what, even if that means being in the G League for a bit. I wonder with NIL though and the fact that playing Big 12 basketball is on another level (not G League but still) if he'd reconsider.
He would actually have to have a GL team that would put him on a roster. Right now that’s a long shot.

Last edited:

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Some people think this is still the days of Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler going #2 and #4 in the same draft straight out of high school with no tape other than high school basketball and only 2-3 foreign players a year getting drafted. Those days are ancient history.

The domestic players all get at least a year of footage vs NCAA/Gleague/OvertimeElite and the foreign players all have several years playing against players typically better than NCAA caliber, grown man pros. The NBA doesn't just ignore that "one and done" year of real footage they get to see now for American players and more importantly about a third of all drafted players are foreign now. They can go to European leagues and find young players the same age putting up big numbers against pros like Melvin Ejim, Matt Thomas, Naz Long etc in the prime of their grown man playing years, they can find 20 year olds who have been doing that for 4-5 years and already living the life of a pro athlete.

I know in the NFL threads I often make comments that expose me a casual fan, but when NBA and the draft comes up here sometimes I wonder if people have even followed it at all since the 80s or 90s.
I haven’t. Stopped paying attention after MJ retired for good.

Tony Gunk

Jul 12, 2017
NE Iowa
TLDR thread status (in images):

11819365.jpg

(Still growing)

Audible...
2220b8bba7c225c4ca2a77ac61e9989d.jpg

(Not one and done material, or is he?)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I haven’t. Stopped paying attention after MJ retired for good.

Which is fine and I totally get it (I follow golf less than when Tiger was on his run), but the NBA draft is so different now than those early 00s years and I think most fans who aren't NBA fans don't know it.

They still draft on potential to an extent, but nothing like the wild way they were doing it in the late 90s or early 00s putting franchises on the shoulders of so many high school kids, hoping they had Kobe/KG and often getting a bust or just an average player who needed 3-6 years to develop. LeBron's draft 21 years ago is the last year high school/aau footage meant much of anything to the NBA draft.

Then you've got a full 1/3 or more of the draft that is foreign and if anything the foreign players have been delivering at a higher rate of return than American players lately, at least the very high level players. When you stopped following maybe 3-5 foreign players a year were getting drafted and now it's 15-25ish.