RECRUITING: Jeff Beverly to visit on May 3

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Could we just get Brown and Marrow and bank the last open a holly? Unless we can get Brooks
I don't hate Beverly as an option if we get him, just wish he shot better from outside
Maybe, but we're fairly desperate for help next season to hold out for a mid-year for 18-19. Not to be overly pessimistic, but if I had more faith in the staff landing good transfers keeping one open for hopefully a late spring/summer surprise would make sense. As it is we're beating out midmajors.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Really wish I had the game on dvr when he played in Hilton but it must have made an impression on him since he seems like he really wants to play here. Be nice to have him on campus early summer focused on improving his game.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: isu2014 and CyJ

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Might not be a starter like Shakur would have been, but he's for sure good enough to play... and at a position we could use depth at. He can play, he can help us win games. Get it done. Banking scholarships is only good if you can't get someone worth the scholarship.. he's worth one.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Jeremy Combs PF North Texas 6'7, 182 10.2 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 0.5 apg, .563 FG%, .000 3pt%, 1 spg, 0.6 bpg

Combs is interesting, because while his size doesn't seem like he would be a fit to play the front court, rebounding type we're looking for, his stats tell a different story.

Although he only avgd 6.5 in a shortened season this past year, as a Sophomore he avgd 10.5 per game. That would have been best in the big 12 four out of the last five years.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Hopefully Beverly can get here by the end of May. It seems a couple of our grad transfers haven't been able to get here until July or so, and it would be nice to have that extra month for this team to gel together.

Reactions: ISUMojoMan

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
With Juiston's disappointing decision, we're getting to the point where we need bodies. He looks like one of the best options available and as others said, he clearly wants to be here. Might as well welcome him to the Cyclone family!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
when I watch Rays videos, he looks like just what we need. an athletic post that can rebound, block shots, and dunk. Again he looks very athletic. But then CW said he heard not to count on him as being much of a contributor. So who knows. So if we don't have him then we only have two bigs, Lard and Young. And with Lard we have no idea if he is ready to go at this level or not. Then there is Beverly, who sounds like if we want him, he is ours. But this is a fall back option, and we don't know if he can consistently play well against Big 12 caliber competition. I just don't understand how a basketball school like ISU struggles so bad getting talented bigs or even enough depth of serviceable bigs. We have won with small ball, but to get over the hump in the NCAAs I think we need better bigs.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
when I watch Rays videos, he looks like just what we need. an athletic post that can rebound, block shots, and dunk. Again he looks very athletic. But then CW said he heard not to count on him as being much of a contributor. So who knows. So if we don't have him then we only have two bigs, Lard and Young. And with Lard we have no idea if he is ready to go at this level or not. Then there is Beverly, who sounds like if we want him, he is ours. But this is a fall back option, and we don't know if he can consistently play well against Big 12 caliber competition. I just don't understand how a basketball school like ISU struggles so bad getting talented bigs or even enough depth of serviceable bigs. We have won with small ball, but to get over the hump in the NCAAs I think we need better bigs.
Ray looks the part in highlight tapes. Hopefully year with Prohm can tun him into Edozie. And we need Young to make a big jump and for Lard to be at least as impactful as Solomon was a year ago. Beverly? Bowie would seem to be is upper bound.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
l

Given the choice I would always want to be a school that got talented guards over bigs. That is college basketball. Talented bigs are in general rare and early contributors go to the blue bloods and even there take time. KU has had top 50 bigs like Diallo, Bragg, and Alexander come in with fan fare and not product.
Shakur would have been a big get but ISU's post play should be improved from last year when we lost Malou this time last year in a traditional sense. Burton was a monster but played a little out of position and until Young was able to contribute ISU was rolling him and Holden and Bowie at the C,. Obviously Kosongo and Lard are unknowns but Young has shown to big 12. Kosongo has talent he had major offers out of HS, JC and when he transferred. He may have finally developed into a starter during his Jr year as many scouts had predicted. We'll see but I am not writing him off as a bust "due to lack of buzz" as some have suggested he won't contribute. Lard was a 4 star with major offers will have a year of coaching to help him be ready.

It is difficult to determine how Beverly will translate to the Big 12 but has matured as a player and would give Prohm a more offensive albeit size limited option.
My focus is on Morrow now, I actually think he'll be better than Juitson next year especially with a year to just focus on his weaknesses. Obviously that will hurt this year but add Beverly and then two years of Morrow may end up better for Prohm and the program.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I love this quote:

“There are a lot of good schools but I am trying to be a Cyclone I want to play there,” Beverly said. “I like they way they play. They let their players play. They use their talents, like Deonte Burton. He did his thing. They use mismatches. I think I can do that.”

He identifies things that ISU does well, rather than what he brings as an individual. It speaks not only to his character, but also that ISU has a reputation outside of Iowa & the Mid-West. I'm one of the fanatics hoping that ISU gets more recognition on the national scale, and this is just one indication to me that it's finally starting to happen.

I really hope we land Morrow now. Having Morrow and Shayok waiting in the wings for the 2018-2019 season would be great.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Well if this kid wants to be a cyclone then I say let's get him. People have pointed out that he averaged more points than Holden and Bowie. He also has 12 points vs Tech this year? He might not lit up the box score but i dont see him hurting us in anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
l

It is difficult to determine how Beverly will translate to the Big 12 but has matured as a player and would give Prohm a more offensive albeit size limited option.
My focus is on Morrow now, I actually think he'll be better than Juitson next year especially with a year to just focus on his weaknesses. Obviously that will hurt this year but add Beverly and then two years of Morrow may end up better for Prohm and the program.

I agree with this.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonefam